Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing PSI

RV_Goose

Reaction score
RAM moved to a new suspension starting in 19, didn’t they? I assume that explains the difference in front/rear PSI.
Allow me to clarify.

My 2020 RAM 3500 diesel DRW says 80 PSI front, and 65 PSI rear on the sticker.

My 2013 RAM 2500 diesel SRW had 80 PSI front, and 80 PSI loaded rear, and 65 PSI for "light loads".

The heavyweight of the diesel seems to need the 80 PSI up front always.

Chrisminx

Reaction score
Back in the 2nd gen days, the sticker said 60 front, 80 rear. Thst combo always made the front end very squishy and the rear bouncy. I swapped to 80 front/60 rear and made things better.

Ever since then I have always ran 80 front, 65 rears running empty or lightly loaded. 80 in rear when towing heavy.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Still playing around with the new one. 90 all around when I picked it up. Went to air down the rears the other day but the extension on the inside dual wouldn’t let me do it via tire pressure gauge and my fat fingers and large hands couldn’t get to it to swap out to a real extender. I will get that done next day or two.
I ended up with the same issue. Tried several different air chucks Drove me nuts. Could NOT get my fingers in there to remove them. OUTSIDE duals were easy. I finally got some 1/4 inch fuel line, pushed it on to the factory "extender" and replaced them with two of the same size but with the centers that pushed far enough to release the schraeder valve. Really poor set up. And they should have installed metal valves on the inside as they did on the outside.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Allow me to clarify.

My 2020 RAM 3500 diesel DRW says 80 PSI front, and 65 PSI rear on the sticker.

My 2013 RAM 2500 diesel SRW had 80 PSI front, and 80 PSI loaded rear, and 65 PSI for "light loads".

The heavyweight of the diesel seems to need the 80 PSI up front always.

Tires size on single wheel and dually trucks are different sizes. The pressures are determined by weight AND tire size.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I ended up with the same issue. Tried several different air chucks Drove me nuts. Could NOT get my fingers in there to remove them. OUTSIDE duals were easy. I finally got some 1/4 inch fuel line, pushed it on to the factory "extender" and replaced them with two of the same size but with the centers that pushed far enough to release the schraeder valve. Really poor set up. And they should have installed metal valves on the inside as they did on the outside.

Good idea.. any pictures of this?

Chrisminx

Reaction score
I have something similar to this. No issues.

s-l300.jpg

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
I have something similar to this. No issues.

View attachment 16465
Me too! But I was not at home when I was trying to let air out, only had my tire gauge with me, still am going to replace with better extensions though. Haven’t had time to do anything but look at truck and order accessories online LOL! Truck isn't going through much fuel though.:(

GatorHunter

Reaction score
Hey all. My 2021 Ram 2500 Cummins sticker says 65 PSI for all 4 tires. Prior tow vehicles had a specific PSI for towing. Not finding that anywhere in my manual. I assume Ram recoes the same PSI for towing then? Any thoughts appreciated.
My 21 6.4 gasser says specific psi for specific tire size to be ok at GAWR. Still have factory tires on so I’m going with that.

Attachments

• 3658C548-B0AD-4833-B60B-456751F0C03C.jpeg
    3658C548-B0AD-4833-B60B-456751F0C03C.jpeg
    299.7 KB · Views: 20

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
I tried three different dual headed chucks. No joy. Had to replace the extenders first. The pin on the originals would not depress far enought to release the Schraeder valve.
Mine too. They are coming off as soon as my wife gives me a day off.........

jdefoe0424

Reaction score
OP here...

So, after reading all your replies and the question from @Rockcrawlerdude, I decided to not put on my WD/anti-sway bars on my return trip from camping. Short drive, good conditions. Perfect time to try.

TT is 22', 4300# loaded and 600# TW. And RAM is a 2500 Limited. The whole rig was definitely more stable. Significantly less bounce. I guess tire inflation was not the issue then. And when looking at the rig, the back of the truck is no longer up (as it is when unloaded) and looks pretty level. So does the trailer.

Seems like with WD, I was negating the positive impact of the TW leveling the truck. Now, only question left is sway. Did not feel any but again, conditions where great. No wind and little commercial traffic. I'll do a few more tests next weekend:

1) Actually measure how level the truck is after hitching up. Looks good as I say but want to ensure it's not off.

2) Try with my bars on again but applying very little weight distribution. Want to try this for sway and for trips where we may have more cargo.

3) Weigh the whole rig to determine if I could lower tire pressure to take some of the remaining bounce off.

I'll report back but any other thoughts, please pipe in.
FYI. The manual, page 416(2019), has a specific way to set up the WDH hitch vs what the WDH manufacturer says, and I believe it has to do with control of the tires and loading the rear suspension. I have the about the same feeling you're describing, though my tongue weight is a little higher. I plan on taking the measurements this Friday to see if I'm in the realm of what the manual says, I didn't have the time when getting ready to go on our first trip and just took a swing at the WDH setup(removed one washer from when I used with my 1500).

Plum Cra Zy

Reaction score
3500 CCSB

Towing - 60 front, 80 rear

Around town - 50 front, 45 rear
If you have a diesel, your ft axle weighs around 5200, so you are maxing out your tires at 50 psi. (2600 lbs per tire), empty.
If you have a hemi, you're okay. If I'm reading the tire chart correctly :rolleyes:.

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
Interesting how the manufacturer recommended PSI has changed over the years. I guess it also has to do with your truck configuration. My 2020 sticker says cold PSI front s/b 65 while cold rear s/b 70.

Users who are viewing this thread