Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing PSI

towingnp

Reaction score
Hey all. My 2021 Ram 2500 Cummins sticker says 65 PSI for all 4 tires. Prior tow vehicles had a specific PSI for towing. Not finding that anywhere in my manual. I assume Ram recoes the same PSI for towing then? Any thoughts appreciated.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
The tire only tells you the max inflation, which is generally not needed.

Each manufacturer has a Load/Inflation guide...if you are still running the Firestone Transforce, then here is a link to the guide

Firestone TBR Load And Inflation Tables

Not good advice.

OP asked about towing. When towing, you want the tires inflated to the PSI with which their load rating is based on.

Unloaded, or daily driving? Sure, deflate them a little.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Not good advice.

OP asked about towing. When towing, you want the tires inflated to the PSI with which their load rating is based on.

Unloaded, or daily driving? Sure, deflate them a little.

How is the Manufacturer Load and Inflation Tables 'not good advice'?
Seems that you didn't bother to take a look at the link...

gimmie11s

Reaction score
How is the Manufacturer Load and Inflation Tables 'not good advice'?
Seems that you didn't bother to take a look at the link...

Fair enough.

My comment was more to the guy (most folks id imagine) that runs 1 set psi unloaded (maybe 50 psi or so) and another psi loaded (max mfgr rating).

I dont think folks carry around a manufacturer load psi guide and adjust their pressures depending on what's in the bed of the truck.

Dart

Reaction score
Waiting for new Ram- Laramie CCSB gas. Maybe this weekend. Ordered 3/17

Current truck 2003 GMC 2500 Duramax. I have run Toyo's for most of this trucks' life. Toyo LT tires apparently have a reputation for having one of the stiffest sidewalls on the market. I have found this to be true. It makes for great handling empty or towing, however, at 65 psi they are very rough on bumpy and particularly washboarded dirt roads. They are far better in this situation at a psi of 50 and I have found that I can leave them at 50 psi for local driving unloaded and I notice absolutely no difference in handling.
These are Toyo Open Country AT II 235/80 16, the truck weighs ~ 7400 pounds.
I am planning to change out the Transforces for Toyo AT III's 275/70 18 on the new truck. The AT II have relatively poor snow performance and I'm hoping the AT III"s (3 peak) will be better in that respect.
I have a VIAIR 400P compressor so I can air down or up as needed.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Depends on what you’re towing. You’re probably overthinking it.

I typically don’t add air when I’m towing because I’m only adding ~700lb (350 per rear tire) to my truck in tongue weight.

I don’t air up if four adults get in my truck to go to dinner

Ymmv.

2500ltd

Reaction score
The tire only tells you the max inflation, which is generally not needed.

Each manufacturer has a Load/Inflation guide...if you are still running the Firestone Transforce, then here is a link to the guide

Firestone TBR Load And Inflation Tables

Thanks. I will go and weigh the truck to see where each axle lands at and determine PSI based on this table.

The main reason I’m asking is that even with a full bed and towing, I find the truck bounces a lot. Trailer is light at 600# of TW but still... just wondering if I should try towing at 60 all around to see what it does.

And yes, these are the Transforce tires.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Thanks. I will go and weigh the truck to see where each axle lands at and determine PSI based on this table.

The main reason I’m asking is that even with a full bed and towing, I find the truck bounces a lot. Trailer is light at 600# of TW but still... just wondering if I should try towing at 60 all around to see what it does.

And yes, these are the Transforce tires.
A: 600lb of tongue weight is not enough to make the truck handle differently or make the tires notice any difference.
B: transforce are ass

Nick

Reaction score
Look at the inflation chart for FS it will show PSI relative to different tire weights . Go weigh your trailer figure out your axle weights and divide by the amount of tires and inflate to that amount . Or you can go to max inflation .

lovegolf44

Reaction score
Fair enough.

My comment was more to the guy (most folks id imagine) that runs 1 set psi unloaded (maybe 50 psi or so) and another psi loaded (max mfgr rating).

I dont think folks carry around a manufacturer load psi guide and adjust their pressures depending on what's in the bed of the truck.
Correct, I go by the recommended cold PSI on the on the door jam sticker period.

2500ltd

Reaction score
A: 600lb of tongue weight is not enough to make the truck handle differently or make the tires notice any difference.
B: transforce are ass
Given my tongue weight is that light, do you think reducing pressure to 60 would make the truck less bouncy? Would it be a problem to do that? Just trying to find ways to make it more stable while towing. I got weight distribution everything is level so that’s not the problem. It’s the truck did bounces every time there is a little road imperfection.

towingnp

Reaction score
Why do you have weight distribution on that? Probably making the bouncing worse in my opinion.
Well, good question. I guess out of habit more than anything else. Was towing that TT with an SUV before and needed WD. Got the Ram to tow an incoming TT that will be heavier and longer. The hitch is not distributing a lot of weight but I’m, perhaps mistakenly, thinking that I need it to prevent sway.

TT is 4200 fully loaded. You think no need for WD or sway control with a Ram 2500?

CdnHO

Reaction score
Fair enough.

I carry a load inflation table for both my truck and trailer. I have weighed the truck front and back axles as she sits with wife, dogs and hitch. I will get a weight for the truck with the fiver hooked on the first time I tow it in the fall. I use those weights to determine the cold inflation pressures. Right now I am running 60 in the front and 40 in the dualls. I run 65 psi in my 16 inch load range E trailer tires. Yup, I am OCD when it comes to tires.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I carry a load inflation table for both my truck and trailer. I have weighed the truck front and back axles as she sits with wife, dogs and hitch. I will get a weight for the truck with the fiver hooked on the first time I tow it in the fall. I use those weights to determine the cold inflation pressures. Right now I am running 60 in the front and 40 in the dualls. I run 65 psi in my 16 inch load range E trailer tires. Yup, I am OCD when it comes to tires.

Nice... i cant disagree that your way is the "right" way to do things.

Users who are viewing this thread