Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing on 37s

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Couple of things going on here

1: The trailer being lower in the rear doesn’t mean it’s heavier in the rear.

B: You need to put the setup on a scale once it’s loaded

3: Black series hq21: Internet says it’s dry weight is 6500-7100lb (varying info) and 650lb tongue weight.

That’s light on the tongue. That’s your problem. You don’t need a WDH. You need to load all your crap in the front of that trailer.

Edit: did i read you have carli suspension? That might be part of your problem you went for a soft spring commuter suspension kit and now you want to tow.

Airbags could help or you may actually be a candidate for a WDH since you essentially have a 1500 with a cummins now if you have a carli suspension. WDH shine in the category where people have too much trailer for their trucks suspension

whitexc

Reaction score
WDH shine in the category where people have too much trailer for their trucks suspension

Kind of but they have their place. Depends on the tow vehicle and what they are towing.

21 Ram 2500 CCSB

20 Flagstaff 27BHWS
Dry weight of 6740#'s
Payload of 2140#'s
Hitch weight of 844#'s (dry)

This travel trailer has a very large storage area at the very front of the trailer. I am easily over 1k tongue weight with simple camping supplies in that storage area.

Hooking my trailer to my truck and towing would be a hot mess without a WDH. I have a very nice Equalizer setup that takes the worry away. Also, my trailer is big enough that it may not sway a whole lot but big enough that it wouldn't be a good thing if it did get into a sway tantrum. Been there with other trailers and it's scary. No I haven't done the scale thing but I did set my hitch up per the manufacturer and it works well.

IMO, and only mine....OP needs a properly setup WDH and it should have been supplied with the trailer, unless of course it was purchased used. Even then, most let them go with the trailer.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Kind of but they have their place. Depends on the tow vehicle and what they are towing.

21 Ram 2500 CCSB

20 Flagstaff 27BHWS
Dry weight of 6740#'s
Payload of 2140#'s
Hitch weight of 844#'s (dry)

This travel trailer has a very large storage area at the very front of the trailer. I am easily over 1k tongue weight with simple camping supplies in that storage area.

Hooking my trailer to my truck and towing would be a hot mess without a WDH. I have a very nice Equalizer setup that takes the worry away. Also, my trailer is big enough that it may not sway a whole lot but big enough that it wouldn't be a good thing if it did get into a sway tantrum. Been there with other trailers and it's scary. No I haven't done the scale thing but I did set my hitch up per the manufacturer and it works well.

IMO, and only mine....OP needs a properly setup WDH and it should have been supplied with the trailer, unless of course it was purchased used. Even then, most let them go with the trailer.

You don't need a WDH you prefer one i tow trailers like these for people all the time with no WDH and no issues with sway this one for example is 1625LBS on the ball dry

Attachments

• C61CDE6B-7A3E-47A2-979E-262FF8F7B137.jpeg
    C61CDE6B-7A3E-47A2-979E-262FF8F7B137.jpeg
    673.1 KB · Views: 63

whitexc

Reaction score
You're Canadian. Lol

So what's the difference? If I hooked that park model to my truck I guarantee it wouldn't sit level or tow properly. Long bed help or change things? I always like to learn a thing or two.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
You're Canadian. Lol

So what's the difference? If I hooked that park model to my truck I guarantee it wouldn't sit level or tow properly. Long bed help or change things? I always like to learn a thing or two.

I dont know If its the long bed or perhaps different coil rates depending on options?

Sowa

Reaction score
Couple of things going on here

1: The trailer being lower in the rear doesn’t mean it’s heavier in the rear.

B: You need to put the setup on a scale once it’s loaded

3: Black series hq21: Internet says it’s dry weight is 6500-7100lb (varying info) and 650lb tongue weight.

That’s light on the tongue. That’s your problem. You don’t need a WDH. You need to load all your crap in the front of that trailer.

Edit: did i read you have carli suspension? That might be part of your problem you went for a soft spring commuter suspension kit and now you want to tow.

Airbags could help or you may actually be a candidate for a WDH since you essentially have a 1500 with a cummins now if you have a carli suspension. WDH shine in the category where people have too much trailer for their trucks suspension

I really wanted something along the lines of a diesel power wagon with this build. Fully understood what a lower spring rate would do.

I'm using the Timbren bump stops. I believe I primarily ride on those when towing. This really stiffens up the rear end.

Planning on hitting the scales this week.

Zeus2018

Reaction score
Those that have mentioned being fine on 37's (w/ 3.73's) vs OP coming from 35's with regards to power…. was it a significant difference between the two? Or hardly noticeable?

I'll be in the same boat towing about 10k with a 22' HO w/ 3.73's when it finally comes in.

Sowa

Reaction score
Those that have mentioned being fine on 37's (w/ 3.73's) vs OP coming from 35's with regards to power…. was it a significant difference between the two? Or hardly noticeable?

I'll be in the same boat towing about 10k with a 22' HO w/ 3.73's when it finally comes in.
It's noticeable.

I can accelerate probably just as fast with 37s but I'm mindful of the drive train. I just take it easy.

UglyViking

Reaction score
For what it's worth, the most common gearing of SRW trucks in the 4th gens were 3.42s, vs the 3.73s in the 5th gens. A huge number of people ran 35s on the 4th gen trucks, which equate to roughly the same final drive as the 5th gens with 3.73s.

Will it be noticeable? Sure. Is it a huge issue? Prob not for most, unless you're towing heavy all the time.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
In my opinion I would like to see the nose of that trailer down a little more in comparison to the squat of the truck, weather done by moving weight or a WDHitch (which is what it designed to do).
I think he needs a drop hitch as well, beside everything else mentioned.

Sowa

Reaction score
I think he needs a drop hitch as well, beside everything else mentioned.

I've purchased an equalizer WDH as well as a cruisemaster DO45 Plus coupling. Moving away from the polyblock setup gives me a bit more freedom when it comes to hitches.

Measured everything up and use the equalizer Calc. Ended up with a 6" drop. Hopefully this gives me enough adjustment.

Sowa

Reaction score
Was able to take out the trailer with the new coupling and equalizer hitch this weekend.

Sway is completely gone. Took it up to 85mph just to test everything out and it was solid.

Going to try and pull the Timbren bump stops off the rig and see how she does next.

Firebird

Reaction score
Was able to take out the trailer with the new coupling and equalizer hitch this weekend.

Sway is completely gone. Took it up to 85mph just to test everything out and it was solid.

Going to try and pull the Timbren bump stops off the rig and see how she does next.
Equal-i-zer makes a great hitch! Glad it took care of your issues

highpocketse5

Reaction score
I have a 2500 5th gen mega cab with a Carli Back Country on 37’s. I was told by the VP of Carli that I would loose 15% of my towing capacity. I’m currently looking at RV’s and towing options. Bumper pull vs 5th wheel. How did your truck do without the Timbrens?

Sowa

Reaction score
I have a 2500 5th gen mega cab with a Carli Back Country on 37’s. I was told by the VP of Carli that I would loose 15% of my towing capacity. I’m currently looking at RV’s and towing options. Bumper pull vs 5th wheel. How did your truck do without the Timbrens?
Are they doing long travel air bags for the 5th generation yet? I think long travel bags with the backcountry kit is the sweet spot for a 2500.

It towed fine without them. The equalizer hitch helps level the truck out. Without the timbrens or equalizer it will squat a lot.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Are they doing long travel air bags for the 5th generation yet? I think long travel bags with the backcountry kit is the sweet spot for a 2500.

It towed fine without them. The equalizer hitch helps level the truck out. Without the timbrens or equalizer it will squat a lot.
There is no 5th gen HD yet so i doubt they have accessories for them yet…

GPurcell01

Reaction score

Yes they have had bags out for a bit for the 2019+ trucks. CJC Offroad has them for sale from Carli.

Edit: scratch that. I'm thinking of 3500's.

Users who are viewing this thread