Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing on 37s

tchur1

Reaction score
Carli does not have long travel for the 2500 air trucks. Only 3500

Sowa

Reaction score
FWIW, take your loaded rig over some scales and find out what your actual weight distribution is. I use the CAT Scale app on my phone and it's like $12.50 to get weights for front and rear axles, and the trailer. With this you can establish what your tongue weight and specific loads are.

I have the smaller HQ19 (maybe 3-500 lbs lighter), but our tow vehicles are very similar. I run the McHitch rather than the stock polyblock, and don't run any WDH. I have had no issues with sway and often cruise @ 65-72 mph on expressways. I've also pulled in extreme wind and have had no problems with control at speed. My fully loaded trailer is 8300 and I have between 12.4% and 14% tongue wt, depending on water tank fill.

Get some real numbers to work from. Check your trailer wheel alignment and shocks also. Many B/S owners have found issues with the factory alignment, usually seeing extreme tire wear, and/or OEM shocks that were immediately leaking. A WDH may be needed, but check out what you have first.
I was finally able to do this. Found a CAT scale close to my place.

Truck alone:
Front: 5220lb
Rear: 3340lb
Gross: 8560lb

No WDH:
Front: 5020lb
Rear: 4560lb
Trailer: 8000lb
Gross: 17580lb

With WDH:
Front: 5160lb
Rear: 4320lb
Trailer: 7820lb
Gross: 17300lb

The tanks were not filled the same between the last two measurements. 180lb difference in trailer weight.

I was under the impression the weight distribution hitch would put more weight on the front axle.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I was under the impression the weight distribution hitch would put more weight on the front axle.
Not as much as people think plus lets be real the 200lbs coming off the front axle is minimal

jsalbre

Reaction score

Truck alone:

No WDH:

With WDH:

The tanks were not filled the same between the last two measurements. 180lb difference in trailer weight.

How much weight WDH puts on the front axle depends on how you set it up. Common theory now (and you’re owners’ manual) has you set them to 50% FALR (front axle load restoration).

Your measurements put you at about 50%, so you’re set up properly as far as that goes. You’ve also got an 11% tongue weight, so I’d think your rig should handle well.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Ok. My point was though, that people are too worried about weight on the front axle, like losing a few hundred pounds will affect their steering. There's a huge difference in weight on the front between Hemi and Cummins and I didnt hear that Hemi steers any worse than Cummins

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Ok. My point was though, that people are too worried about weight on the front axle, like losing a few hundred pounds will affect their steering. There's a huge difference in weight on the front between Hemi and Cummins and I didnt hear that Hemi steers any worse than Cummins
I 100% agree with you for the steering to be affected it would need to be atleast 1000lbs removed from the steering axle

jsalbre

Reaction score
I 100% agree with you for the steering to be affected it would need to be atleast 1000lbs removed from the steering axle
If that were true then why would the manufacturer recommend WDH over a certain weight?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
If that were true then why would the manufacturer recommend WDH over a certain weight?
A few reasons but mainly hitch strength with the downward weight of the tongue ( OEM hitch is a poor design and tend to bend once past 2k tongue weight a curt undermount is good for a lot more). Also they do it for liability reasons as a CYA move

Capncrashd

Reaction score
I’m dealing with a similar issue with my 2022 Ram Power Wagon with Carli Pintop, 37 trail grapplers, timbren stops, 2022 22 1/2’ Ember 190MDB hybrid off-road travel trailer, 5500 GVWR. I am adding a WDH, but undecided which one. Also, one person at CJC Off Road suggested I consider the Firestone Ride-Rite axle mounted airbags with the Daystar cradle to manage my squat with the trailer without compromising Carli ride. I got the Carli to improve the brutal factory ride quality. Added 37s so it didn’t look weird. They referred me to Texas Motorworx in DFW. I haven’t talked to them yet for their opinion.

2manyprojects

Reaction score

Truck alone:

No WDH:

With WDH:

Sowa, glad to hear you've got things working with the WDH and suspension adjustments. FWIW, comparing your numbers to mine, I see a 440 lb decrease in front axle weight with my fully loaded 8300 lb trailer (tanks full, 66 gal H2O), 1140 lb tongue wt. Your HQ21 is 720 lb heavier, but 120 lb less tongue. Our trucks are very similar, except for suspension (I've got the AEV) and I'm 900 lbs heavier on the rear axle with my Titan spare tank and loaded gear. Black Series definitely put more weight behind the wheels on the HQ21.
Loaded in Farmington NM.jpg

jsalbre

Reaction score
I’m dealing with a similar issue with my 2022 Ram Power Wagon with Carli Pintop, 37 trail grapplers, timbren stops, 2022 22 1/2’ Ember 190MDB hybrid off-road travel trailer, 5500 GVWR. I am adding a WDH, but undecided which one. Also, one person at CJC Off Road suggested I consider the Firestone Ride-Rite axle mounted airbags with the Daystar cradle to manage my squat with the trailer without compromising Carli ride. I got the Carli to improve the brutal factory ride quality. Added 37s so it didn’t look weird. They referred me to Texas Motorworx in DFW. I haven’t talked to them yet for their opinion.
I’m a fan of the Equalizer WDH. Unlike chain based systems you don’t have to unhook it to reverse, and it has really good sway control built in. It’s not cheap at around $800, but IMHO worth it.

Sowa

Reaction score
Sowa, glad to hear you've got things working with the WDH and suspension adjustments. FWIW, comparing your numbers to mine, I see a 440 lb decrease in front axle weight with my fully loaded 8300 lb trailer (tanks full, 66 gal H2O), 1140 lb tongue wt. Your HQ21 is 720 lb heavier, but 120 lb less tongue. Our trucks are very similar, except for suspension (I've got the AEV) and I'm 900 lbs heavier on the rear axle with my Titan spare tank and loaded gear. Black Series definitely put more weight behind the wheels on the HQ21.
View attachment 45757
You have excellent taste sir!

Users who are viewing this thread