Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing on 37s

Sowa

Reaction score
Had 35" ridge grapplers on my rig for a while. Towed well, e rated, not a lot of flex. Those went out and I had some 37" nitto trail grapplers sitting around and threw them on.

Going to go trailer a camper out and in a short trip around the town it was sway city.

1) I'm asking for trouble pulling a 10k lb trailer on 37" m/t tires on stock 3.73 gearing?

2) is there a stiffer 37" tire? E rated possibly?

3) What's a good 35" tire for towing? My route to work goes through a few miles of dirt road. It's nasty to tires.

waveslayer

Reaction score
If you have a diesel you should be fine.

E rating will depend on the tire, some D rating tires are rated higher than another tire that is E, you'll want to look. Most everyone thinks because it's e is better. That's not always true

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Eatonpcat

Reaction score
E rating will depend on the tire, some D rating tires are rated higher than another tire that is E, you'll want to look. Most everyone thinks because it's e is better. That's not always true
I definitely did not know this...I figured an old 8 ply would have less capacity than an old 10 ply.

Sowa

Reaction score
If you have a diesel you should be fine.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
You are correct. It's a D rated tire and it's higher than the GAWR, so I'm not limited by the tires load capacity.

Firebird

Reaction score
Plenty of guys tow with 37's, I'm sure some of them will chime in

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
It's relatively flat. It is a black series hq21 which I believe is tail heavy. Not super stoked about the weight distribution
Tail heavy will cause an issue try to load it front heavy or if the fresh water is in front of the axle put come water in it

2manyprojects

Reaction score
I've towed my B/S HQ19 over 10K miles with 37's and no issues at all. I'd be surprised if your HQ21 is "tail heavy", as their design usually makes them nose heavy. I've run my rig w/trailer over scales multiple times now, and have about 1k lbs. tongue weight for the 8k lbs. loaded trailer.

Sowa

Reaction score
Well did a trip out with the HQ21. Measured the height to the frame rail of the trailer and it sits a 1/2" lower at the front than the rear.

I did forget to put the Timbren kit in the first time out on 37's. Huge improvement, but still squirley past 55mph.

Had to put some water in the black and grey water tanks to load the nose. Moved some stuff around inside the trailer. I can do about 65mph comfortably but she still sways past that.

Attachments

• 20220519_175802.jpg
    20220519_175802.jpg
    696.3 KB · Views: 162

whitexc

Reaction score
Can we get a closer shot of that hitch setup?

Not to start the debate all over but you could use weight distribution with combined sway control with that truck and trailer no problem. It's squatting the truck pretty good in that picture. That puts you against a cple possible issues when it comes to handling and traveling safe at speed.

2500 truck? If so remember you have coils. It's not your old school 2500 with a substantial leaf pack. These trucks are soft, even for HD class vehicles IMO.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

Not to start the debate all over but you could use weight distribution with combined sway control with that truck and trailer no problem. It's squatting the truck pretty good in that picture. That puts you against a cple possible issues when it comes to handling and traveling safe at speed.

2500 truck? If so remember you have coils. It's not your old school 2500 with a substantial leaf pack. These trucks are soft, even for HD class vehicles IMO.

These “soft” coils handle more weight than my 05 2500 ever could with overloads…..

Chris1911

Reaction score
Well did a trip out with the HQ21. Measured the height to the frame rail of the trailer and it sits a 1/2" lower at the front than the rear.

I did forget to put the Timbren kit in the first time out on 37's. Huge improvement, but still squirley past 55mph.

Had to put some water in the black and grey water tanks to load the nose. Moved some stuff around inside the trailer. I can do about 65mph comfortably but she still sways past that.

You have no weight distribution/sway control hitch. Doesn't matter what you are pulling with, it needs one.

UglyViking

Reaction score
As was said before, without a WDH you're gonna feel sway. It doesn't matter if it's a coil spring 2500 or a leaf & bagged 3500 dually, it's just part of the weight distribution and length. I'd look at adding a WDH for on-road travel, and you can always disconnect the sway portion for off-road travel.

DammitDave

Reaction score

In my opinion I would like to see the nose of that trailer down a little more in comparison to the squat of the truck, weather done by moving weight or a WDHitch (which is what it designed to do).

gimmie11s

Reaction score

Totally agree.

My '99 truck is a much more confident tower than my '16 2500 with coils was.

Not even a comparison

gimmie11s

Reaction score
You have no weight distribution/sway control hitch. Doesn't matter what you are pulling with, it needs one.

Sway control? Nah. Not needed on that particular trailer if he was DRW.

I'd still run a WDH though for the ability to move the weight around.

2manyprojects

Reaction score
FWIW, take your loaded rig over some scales and find out what your actual weight distribution is. I use the CAT Scale app on my phone and it's like $12.50 to get weights for front and rear axles, and the trailer. With this you can establish what your tongue weight and specific loads are.

I have the smaller HQ19 (maybe 3-500 lbs lighter), but our tow vehicles are very similar. I run the McHitch rather than the stock polyblock, and don't run any WDH. I have had no issues with sway and often cruise @ 65-72 mph on expressways. I've also pulled in extreme wind and have had no problems with control at speed. My fully loaded trailer is 8300 and I have between 12.4% and 14% tongue wt, depending on water tank fill.

Get some real numbers to work from. Check your trailer wheel alignment and shocks also. Many B/S owners have found issues with the factory alignment, usually seeing extreme tire wear, and/or OEM shocks that were immediately leaking. A WDH may be needed, but check out what you have first.

Sowa

Reaction score

I'm using the Timbren system in this picture.

Squats way too much with the carli dominator kit installed.

This effectively locks out the rear end and I'm primarily on the bump stops instead of coils.

I'll snag a picture of the hitch setup.

2manyprojects

Reaction score
DOH! Didn't realize you have the Carli Dominator installed... Do you have the R2 rear springs at least?

I suspect that you're under-sprung and damped; have you considered the airbag system they offer? Black Series caravans are heavy for their size, and generally tongue heavy, so they tax the tow vehicle suspension more than most trailers of comparable size.

Users who are viewing this thread