Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tow chain or tow strap?

RV_Goose

Reaction score
My last chain got left on a trailer holding down a tractor. Pretty sure it was a 3/8 chain. Looking at tow chains to have on hand as I have needed them 6 times in the past 2 months, And I did not have any. I see 3/8 welded chain (AgriSupply), 20ft, that comes with the hooks. They also have the 3 inch tow strap in 20 feet lengths. In the mud bog in Eastern NC right now, I had to get pulled out 3 times, and pulled out 3 others.

In snatching out some trucks (an easy pull didn't work) The chains work. I am not sure the tow strap would have held together.

3/8 is pretty heavy duty and will probably do all I desire. Lighter chain I am not sure would hold for snatching. I've done it for tree stumps and vehicles.

What do yall use?

jadmt

Reaction score
When chain snaps it's a very, very bad situation. There are snatch straps and tow straps, the former is dynamic and the latter is static. I carry both for different situations.
X100. two completely different uses. of snatching get a bubba rope. it is the stretch and recoil that gets someone unstuck if buried.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Dont use chains i have seen enough dented tailgates and busted out rear windows with mild tugs, straps are rated much higher than chains.... or a bubba rope like mentioned works great

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I carry both and use the appropriate tool for the job.

Hate to wrap my nice pull straps around a fallen tree blocking the road. Hate to try to pull stuck vehicle with a heavy chain. Sometimes you need both to protect your gear and the object you're tugging on.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
X100. two completely different uses. of snatching get a bubba rope. it is the stretch and recoil that gets someone unstuck if buried.
Is there a huge difference with Bubba rope brand and the others?

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
On paper I would assume all kinetic ropes would be the same. I have only ever used the true Bubba brand as that is what I have, but if I was buying again I'd look at specs before the name.

jadmt

Reaction score
Is there a huge difference with Bubba rope brand and the others?
I don't know, but Bubba is quality and paying more for quality up front usually saves money in the long run.

GBB

Reaction score
Nylon 3 stand..1 1/4” rope..used it for years and pulled many a vehicles out of ditches. over 40,000# breaking strength

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Definitely a recovery strap for me. Tow ropes and chains break on the jerk. Really need the stretch and recoil action for those tough stuck times.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I'm looking into the bubba rope as well as other brands. I also watched videos that state the straps and ropes are only good for a certain number of pulls. But as I am not a pro doing it all the time, I hope to not hit that limit.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I'm looking into the bubba rope as well as other brands. I also watched videos that state the straps and ropes are only good for a certain number of pulls. But as I am not a pro doing it all the time, I hope to not hit that limit.
A strap is the best option for you, your not pulling people out of swamps so a kinetic rope is a waste... i have had the same 35ft strap good for 80k for about 10 years its been great pulled many vehicles out

RV_Goose

Reaction score
A strap is the best option for you, your not pulling people out of swamps so a kinetic rope is a waste... i have had the same 35ft strap good for 80k for about 10 years its been great pulled many vehicles out

Well, most of the eastern half of North Carolina is either paved or mud. ;) :)

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Definitely a Tow strap, snatch strap, recovery rope. Call it what you like

Chains are NOT the right tool for the job.

my recovery bags each have multiple snatch blocks, multiple d rings, tree straps, tow straps, winch line extension ropes, etc. but they include zero chains.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Definitely a Tow strap, snatch strap, recovery rope. Call it what you like

Chains are NOT the right tool for the job.

my recovery bags each have multiple snatch blocks, multiple d rings, tree straps, tow straps, winch line extension ropes, etc. but they include zero chains.
Chains have their spot holding **** down on the trailer thats about it

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Also tow straps with steel hooks ... big no-no

soft loops on either end.

to make a closed system use d-rings
I wish i had a picture of my old 03 chevy work truck hood from my younger days with a hooked strap it went through the leading edge of the hood and i was hardly pulling...

Users who are viewing this thread