Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too much oil and poor dealer help

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
Actually I do for federal guidelines. If they can not fix the issues within 8 weeks it is lemon.

That’s good news- I thought you said you didn’t prior but good there is a fed lemon law. What’s the other stipulation with the federal version?

Enve46

Reaction score
That's no suprise. If they can get away with telling you no on the buy back it saves them money. Just like an insurance company will tell you no on a claim. They hope you accept their answer and go away. Continueing to have warranty work done is cheaper that a buy back (in other words lemon law) as they cannot resell a lemon law vehicle. There is certain critiera needed to lemon law a vehicle. You may have already met that critiera. Consult a lemon law attorney. They're out there and specialize in lemon law vehicles. There is usually no charge as the attorney will bill the manufacturer for their time. This is what I had to do on a ford truck I bought years ago with problems that were not fixed after several attempts at the dealer under warranty.
Lots Of inaccuracies in this post but they can absolutely resell a buyback or lemon, they do all the time. He may need an attorney to fight it which I’m sure he’s exploring but keeping a lid on it until it plays out, which is usually smarter than putting it on public forum

Units

Reaction score
Lots Of inaccuracies in this post but they can absolutely resell a buyback or lemon, they do all the time. He may need an attorney to fight it which I’m sure he’s exploring but keeping a lid on it until it plays out, which is usually smarter than putting it on public forum
Yup, they can and do resell them. Unfortunately it depends on the state where it was lemon lawed. Some have no laws on the books for titling them as such. Buyer beware.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
Yup, they can and do resell them. Unfortunately it depends on the state where it was lemon lawed. Some have no laws on the books for titling them as such. Buyer beware.
This is true but most manufacturers don’t resell them on the lot, most avoid lemon titles in those states, so agreed buyback and then flip them at auctions for 2nd hand dealers

Dinky503

Reaction score
That’s good news- I thought you said you didn’t prior but good there is a fed lemon law. What’s the other stipulation with the federal version?

Federal cover the area of "as long as it has manufacturer warranty" not like the state that has miles and year limited. Lemon Law goes beyond just vehicles.

JimKIII

Reaction score
Been at the dealer 13 weeks. Yep numerous emails and calls. Everyone acts like it's no big deal.
That lack of communication is BS. My truck was at a dealership for two months having a defective transmission replaced. There were problems with deliveries, broken-on-arrival coolers, and lack of techs. But, I received a text from the dealer every 2-to-3 days giving me updates. Sometimes the update was, "nothing new to report". That experience was a classic example of high-standards and ethics. Usually, no matter what the problem is with getting work done at a dealer or private operator, if an open line of communications is maintained - and truth is told - most customers can put up with a lot. BTW, the dealer I use (not who I bought from) is Rairdon's Chrylser Dodge Jeep Ram of Kirkland, WA.

Too bad you can yard your truck out to a different dealership.

Dinky503

Reaction score
That lack of communication is BS. My truck was at a dealership for two months having a defective transmission replaced. There were problems with deliveries, broken-on-arrival coolers, and lack of techs. But, I received a text from the dealer every 2-to-3 days giving me updates. Sometimes the update was, "nothing new to report". That experience was a classic example of high-standards and ethics. Usually, no matter what the problem is with getting work done at a dealer or private operator, if an open line of communications is maintained - and truth is told - most customers can put up with a lot. BTW, the dealer I use (not who I bought from) is Rairdon's Chrylser Dodge Jeep Ram of Kirkland, WA.

Too bad you can yard your truck out to a different dealership.

Yep 100% I had to deal with material shortages and worker shortage with my customers and i am still dealing with it. Communication is key as were all dealing with it in some way. Last i heard from them was i had wear on my push rods, I then asked about the condition of my cam shaft and lifters. They went silent after that and Ram care has been giving me generic updates. Ram care did email me yesterday that my truck is almost ready for pick up, My friend was over there and saw it sitting outside. I will Post what they did and replaced once i get paper work from the dealer.

Last edited:

Dinky503

Reaction score
UPDATE! AFTER 14 WEEKS!

Ram care will be reimbursing me for all of my out of pocket expense.

Tonkin Hillsboro CJDR emailed me saying my truck was good to go. Upon picking it up they held my truck hostage untill I paid $225 for an oil change, this took place to diagnose if there was fuel in oil..... Had some very pleasant words with the manager paid and left.

See pictures for what was performed on my truck.

Before leaving the lot I check my oil level........it's over full mark again.... After 53 miles of towing today, mixed freeway and surface roads Filter already climbing. I will continue to monitor everything as I have before.

This whole process has been a big joke, Ram has dropped the ball big time on this and no customer care is left in the car industry. I would not recommend Tonkin dealerships in Oregon all they care about is making a quick buck.

20240419_164841.jpg20240420_105152.jpg20240419_164623.jpg20240420_140849.jpg20240420_140859.jpg20240420_140913.jpg

Enve46

Reaction score
UPDATE! AFTER 14 WEEKS!

Ram care will be reimbursing me for all of my out of pocket expense.

Tonkin Hillsboro CJDR emailed me saying my truck was good to go. Upon picking it up they held my truck hostage untill I paid $225 for an oil change, this took place to diagnose if there was fuel in oil..... Had some very pleasant words with the manager paid and left.

See pictures for what was performed on my truck.

Before leaving the lot I check my oil level........it's over full mark again.... After 53 miles of towing today, mixed freeway and surface roads Filter already climbing. I will continue to monitor everything as I have before.

This whole process has been a big joke, Ram has dropped the ball big time on this and no customer care is left in the car industry. I would not recommend Tonkin dealerships in Oregon all they care about is making a quick buck.

View attachment 71992View attachment 71993View attachment 71994View attachment 71995View attachment 71996View attachment 71997
Unbelievable. Charging you again for an oil change ahead of schedule for diagnosis?!? Yikes.

Deltron

Reaction score
They replaced the MAF sensor last week and it seems to be worse. Either that or the real problem, whatever that might be, is getting worse. I'm scheduled for a fuel system eval on 2/14, with suspicions pointing to injectors or the fuel pump.
The dealer replaced my MAF. It now regens every 15 to 20 miles, MUCH worse.
@RamCares you should take some notes on what your customer base are going through. You are going to lose a lot of diehard Ram owners.
Going to look at a new Ford 7.3 gasser tomorrow, I don't need this nonsense. My '18 was literally perfect, this truck has had numerous issues and now this. I've bought new Mopars since a 1969 Dart 340. This may well be the last and that's saying something, I have a '22 Scat Pack Challenger and a '22 RAM 1500. Seems Stellantis can single handily destroy a long term relationship all over one vehicle with various issues other than this they cannot resolve and don't care.

I'm not going to blame my dealer either. They've been very good along with another dealer I've taken it too over some problems.

Looking at the spreadsheet I suspect the real problem has something to do with the engine itself. If it was software it would affect all trucks. I see fuel systems entirely replaced, emission systems entirely replaced, all sensors replaced yet the trucks still have the problem. Could it be a fault in the block, pistons or rings? Maybe a head issue?

It seems the newer trucks don't have the issue. Something tells me Stellantis knows what it is and doesn't want to replace a lot of engine assemblies so they feed dealers nonsense hoping it will go away. Good thing I'm not a dealer, I would drop all diesels until the problems are resolved. It isn't fair to not only the customers but the dealers too.

Dinky503

Reaction score
The dealer replaced my MAF. It now regens every 15 to 20 miles, MUCH worse.

Going to look at a new Ford 7.3 gasser tomorrow, I don't need this nonsense. My '18 was literally perfect, this truck has had numerous issues and now this. I've bought new Mopars since a 1969 Dart 340. This may well be the last and that's saying something, I have a '22 Scat Pack Challenger and a '22 RAM 1500. Seems Stellantis can single handily destroy a long term relationship all over one vehicle with various issues other than this they cannot resolve and don't care.

I'm not going to blame my dealer either. They've been very good along with another dealer I've taken it too over some problems.

Looking at the spreadsheet I suspect the real problem has something to do with the engine itself. If it was software it would affect all trucks. I see fuel systems entirely replaced, emission systems entirely replaced, all sensors replaced yet the trucks still have the problem. Could it be a fault in the block, pistons or rings? Maybe a head issue?

It seems the newer trucks don't have the issue. Something tells me Stellantis knows what it is and doesn't want to replace a lot of engine assemblies so they feed dealers nonsense hoping it will go away. Good thing I'm not a dealer, I would drop all diesels until the problems are resolved. It isn't fair to not only the customers but the dealers too.

Yep since my 73 power wagon in high-school I've loved ram trucks. I've had 1500s and now this one, we have been looking at the wagoneer. We need more room for family road trips but we took it off our list. Being a good customer doesn't get you anywhere with Stellantis.

My current driveway

20230628_193122.jpg

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
The only good thing I can say about Stellanis is they still offer a CTD engine and dealer discounts are nice compared to buying Ford/Chevy and pay a nice shareholder dividend….Needed a replacement key for a 2018 JK and dealer said it was $250 for the fob only. Parts guy I have an account there said this is BS. These were $80 2 years ago. Other than that, they have ruined their lineup with Etorque, electric BS and killed their nice niche performance vehicle lineup. All the euro car companies are doing this with the death of icons like the R8, v12 super cars, etc. Stellantis is just another climate change Euro Trash company.

To respond above- I doubt it’s the engine, Cummins doesn’t seem to have this issue with their 6.7 in other vehicles that’s I’ve read. It’s software and driving habits.

Your truck could always lose some weight and you likely would be much happier, remember it’s your truck and you do what you see fit with it.

They are almost the worst car company to deal with for issues except for maybe Toyota - but Toyotas don’t have many issues, lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread