Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too much oil and poor dealer help

Dinky503

Reaction score
The only good thing I can say about Stellanis is they still offer a CTD engine and dealer discounts are nice compared to buying Ford/Chevy and pay a nice shareholder dividend….Needed a replacement key for a 2018 JK and dealer said it was $250 for the fob only. Parts guy I have an account there said this is BS. These were $80 2 years ago. Other than that, they have ruined their lineup with Etorque, electric BS and killed their nice niche performance vehicle lineup. All the euro car companies are doing this with the death of icons like the R8, v12 super cars, etc. Stellantis is just another climate change Euro Trash company.

To respond above- I doubt it’s the engine, Cummins doesn’t seem to have this issue with their 6.7 in other vehicles that’s I’ve read. It’s software and driving habits.

Your truck could always lose some weight and you likely would be much happier, remember it’s your truck and you do what you see fit with it.

To be honest, it’s not the

losing weight isnt really an option as the motor shows signs of fuel saturation causing havoc. If i get stuck with this truck i will need full warranty intact.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
I agree in your situation, especially with a damaged motor, it wouldn’t be wise. If you can get the engine replaced, then I would opt to lose weight immediately…I’m wondering if part of this fuel saturation issue are potentially related to a fuel dump in the cylinders to heat up the DPF during the regen to cook the soot. Possibly excess fuel is bypassing the rings to getting into the oil? An internal leak from the high pressure pump really would be the only other option in my opinion. Not an expert on how that part of the system operates but looking at it from a practical standpoint.

Dinky503

Reaction score
I agree in your situation, especially with a damaged motor, it wouldn’t be wise. If you can get the engine replaced, then I would opt to lose weight immediately…I’m wondering if part of this fuel saturation issue are potentially related to a fuel dump in the cylinders to heat up the DPF during the regen to cook the soot. Possibly excess fuel is bypassing the rings to getting into the oil? An internal leak from the high pressure pump really would be the only other option in my opinion. Not an expert on how that part of the system operates but looking at it from a practical standpoint.

They tested the HPFP and injectors and no leak was found. I would assume it would be the Regen issue at this point. I am monitoring everything all over again.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
They tested the HPFP and injectors and no leak was found. I would assume it would be the Regen issue at this point. I am monitoring everything all over again.
Yea I remember you mentioning that- they dump fuel during the regen, likely far in excess to insure the system operates properly, especially as these are not driven under a good load (towing, higher speed).

Enve46

Reaction score
There’s zero chance that nearly every bearing has substantial wear at this point. You were well over the fuel dilution Cummins recommends. I’m hopeful there’s a solution on the other side of this for you. I was lucky to get out of my 2022 when the market was still high and I got more than I paid for it on trade in. I wasn’t having regen issues I lost all electrical power in the middle of traffic with the kids. What’s crazy is there was no code for loss of power to ECU. Something is off with these 22s electronically

Dinky503

Reaction score
There’s zero chance that nearly every bearing has substantial wear at this point. You were well over the fuel dilution Cummins recommends. I’m hopeful there’s a solution on the other side of this for you. I was lucky to get out of my 2022 when the market was still high and I got more than I paid for it on trade in. I wasn’t having regen issues I lost all electrical power in the middle of traffic with the kids. What’s crazy is there was no code for loss of power to ECU. Something is off with these 22s electronically

Yep 100% that was my question to the dealer. push rods and arms need replace, now how does the main bearing, cam, and lifters look. Zero response from them on it. When i questioned the oil change the manager was at his wits ends with me and my truck lol. I left a nice review for them on google and facebook linking this thread for others to read.

Enve46

Reaction score
Yep 100% that was my question to the dealer. push rods and arms need replace, now how does the main bearing, cam, and lifters look. Zero response from them on it. When i questioned the oil change the manager was at his wits ends with me and my truck lol. I left a nice review for them on google and facebook linking this thread for others to read.
I am sure he’s equally frustrated in his own way. No manager or business wants to see the same item in for repair with no definitive answer or direction for it to be repaired. Add taking up a diesel tech which seems to have a ton of back up work, frustrated customers etc etc etc… no excuse to take it out on you though. It’s a mess and the only ones sitting back without any frustration is Ram/Stellantis

Dinky503

Reaction score
I am sure he’s equally frustrated in his own way. No manager or business wants to see the same item in for repair with no definitive answer or direction for it to be repaired. Add taking up a diesel tech which seems to have a ton of back up work, frustrated customers etc etc etc… no excuse to take it out on you though. It’s a mess and the only ones sitting back without any frustration is Ram/Stellantis

Being straight forward and owning mistakes is key. acting like they are better then the people they are working for is not the way to go. If they said we dont know and were trying everything to fix it and not sweep crap under the rug we would of had a different dialog.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
Being straight forward and owning mistakes is key. acting like they are better then the people they are working for is not the way to go. If they said we dont know and were trying everything to fix it and not sweep crap under the rug we would of had a different dialog.

I’d rather have someone F up (kids, significant other, business, friend, etc) and own up to it, have some remorse (simple sorry) and make an effort to fix it. Unfortunately, nobody want to take the blame in corporate America due to lawsuits or cost to fix and they kick the can down the road

Dinky503

Reaction score
I’d rather have someone F up (kids, significant other, business, friend, etc) and own up to it, have some remorse (simple sorry) and make an effort to fix it. Unfortunately, nobody want to take the blame in corporate America due to lawsuits or cost to fix and they kick the can down the road

Yep exactly!

Deltron

Reaction score
To respond above- I doubt it’s the engine, Cummins doesn’t seem to have this issue with their 6.7 in other vehicles that’s I’ve read. It’s software and driving habits.
So, 15,000 miles and it was perfect. Just past this the problem started showing up and is getting worse and worse.

Now, you really think suddenly the software changed itself and I'm driving differently than I've ever driven my diesel trucks?

How about the other people? Their software changed itself after even 30k+ miles and they started driving different too?

Reading the spreadsheet some have had their entire fuel and emissions system along with the turbo replaced yet their trucks still have the issue? What's left?

So far it appears nobody actually knows what's happening. I have to drive 200 miles round trip to my good dealer. Between that and finding somebody to follow me it's a MAJOR inconvenience with repeated trips.

Dinky503

Reaction score
So, 15,000 miles and it was perfect. Just past this the problem started showing up and is getting worse and worse.

Now, you really think suddenly the software changed itself and I'm driving differently than I've ever driven my diesel trucks?

How about the other people? Their software changed itself after even 30k+ miles and they started driving different too?

Reading the spreadsheet some have had their entire fuel and emissions system along with the turbo replaced yet their trucks still have the issue? What's left?

So far it appears nobody actually knows what's happening. I have to drive 200 miles round trip to my good dealer. Between that and finding somebody to follow me it's a MAJOR inconvenience with repeated trips.

Cummins provides motor, Ram is in charge of software and DPF system. the DPF is not a cummins design.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score

To be honest- not sure if the telematics allows software updates OTA. I wouldn’t doubt it but likely not the issue. Never said some of us were “retards” and drove it causing the issue. It has a lot to do with excessive city driving where there is little no to a light load and the engine doesn’t reach proper operating temps often. The other issue is software or maybe a design of the DPF or associated systems. It’s not the head, block, cams or anything like that or it would do this far more often in other makers using the same engine. Ram is to blame for a poor produce but likely it’s the gov forcing these devices on us that don’t work well over a wide range of uses. If you remember in the early days before def Cat had so many issues they left the OTR industry and it definitely has improved but it’s still not perfect by any means

Deltron

Reaction score
To be honest- not sure if the telematics allows software updates OTA. I wouldn’t doubt it but likely not the issue. Never said some of us were “retards” and drove it causing the issue. It has a lot to do with excessive city driving where there is little no to a light load and the engine doesn’t reach proper operating temps often. The other issue is software or maybe a design of the DPF or associated systems. It’s not the head, block, cams or anything like that or it would do this far more often in other makers using the same engine. Ram is to blame for a poor produce but likely it’s the gov forcing these devices on us that don’t work well over a wide range of uses. If you remember in the early days before def Cat had so many issues they left the OTR industry and it definitely has improved but it’s still not perfect by any means
t's obvious something has failed. According to the spreadsheet it's been right from off the showroom floor to 100k miles or more. It seems, if the list is to be believed, on the vast majority of them it isn't repaired, even with some where virtually everything has been replaced.

Now, if this is true there's only one conceivable thing left isn't there?

Think about this, if the entire fuel system has been replaced, the entire emissions system, the turbo and all sensors, what else is there?

If it was software then everyone would experience the same issue at nearly the same time based on driving habits, it would effect a small percentage of trucks When I first got my truck it acted like my '18 towing. Regen started roughly every 900-1,000 miles then actual regen for about 12-20 miles. Now it regens towing < 300 miles and takes around 80 to 150 miles to regen. This is towing around a15k lb toyhauler @ 68 mph, way more than enough heavy load at 9 mpg. Driving around town it now just stays in regen.

My Scangauge readings now are all over the place making no sense whatsoever. It used to be a linear progression until it reached 100% and would then regen. Now during regen it may drop to say 85%, climb back to 100% for 5 or 6 miles, drop again, climb again then eventually only drop to around 55% and go out of regen. It never drops below 55% now.

The dash regen gauge does the same, climbs and drops with no rhyme or reason even on the highway towing, never going back to zero. It did none of this the first 15k.

This reminds me of an issue with motorcycle carbs around 2007. I had a number of customers that were having all kinds of problems with Kiehn carbs. Some of them were initially fine but slowly or suddenly got to the point you could not jet them correctly. Kiehn was of zero help. Well, it turned out to be a porosity issue with the mid body aluminium casting. Some of them where seeping fuel through the aluminium affecting the jetting. Fix, replace the carb.

Some of you may remember the Mopar Slant 6. They made some aluminium ones in the early 60's. We had some that would intermittently overheat. Chrysler was no help and usually when you opened them up there was nothing obvious. Well, it turned out the head gaskets would sometimes fractionally leak under heavy load but it would not show up on any compression or cooling system test. If you took them apart you didn't see the usual indications of a faulty head gasket either.

I'm not convinced on some of these there isn't an engine issue. Something not machined correctly, a material fault, who knows?

Old saying worth repeating, “When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
t's obvious something has failed. According to the spreadsheet it's been right from off the showroom floor to 100k miles or more. It seems, if the list is to be believed, on the vast majority of them it isn't repaired, even with some where virtually everything has been replaced.

Now, if this is true there's only one conceivable thing left isn't there?

Think about this, if the entire fuel system has been replaced, the entire emissions system, the turbo and all sensors, what else is there?

If it was software then everyone would experience the same issue at nearly the same time based on driving habits, it would effect a small percentage of trucks When I first got my truck it acted like my '18 towing. Regen started roughly every 900-1,000 miles then actual regen for about 12-20 miles. Now it regens towing < 300 miles and takes around 80 to 150 miles to regen. This is towing around a15k lb toyhauler @ 68 mph, way more than enough heavy load at 9 mpg. Driving around town it now just stays in regen.

My Scangauge readings now are all over the place making no sense whatsoever. It used to be a linear progression until it reached 100% and would then regen. Now during regen it may drop to say 85%, climb back to 100% for 5 or 6 miles, drop again, climb again then eventually only drop to around 55% and go out of regen. It never drops below 55% now.

The dash regen gauge does the same, climbs and drops with no rhyme or reason even on the highway towing, never going back to zero. It did none of this the first 15k.

This reminds me of an issue with motorcycle carbs around 2007. I had a number of customers that were having all kinds of problems with Kiehn carbs. Some of them were initially fine but slowly or suddenly got to the point you could not jet them correctly. Kiehn was of zero help. Well, it turned out to be a porosity issue with the mid body aluminium casting. Some of them where seeping fuel through the aluminium affecting the jetting. Fix, replace the carb.

Some of you may remember the Mopar Slant 6. They made some aluminium ones in the early 60's. We had some that would intermittently overheat. Chrysler was no help and usually when you opened them up there was nothing obvious. Well, it turned out the head gaskets would sometimes fractionally leak under heavy load but it would not show up on any compression or cooling system test. If you took them apart you didn't see the usual indications of a faulty head gasket either.

I'm not convinced on some of these there isn't an engine issue. Something not machined correctly, a material fault, who knows?

Old saying worth repeating, “When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Your readings tell me that your DPF is failed/plugged or you have a bad pressure sensor. Some of that bouncing is normal, but not all.

100% means it’s time for a regen, soot or timing based. Initially dropping to 85% means that the filter has some decent soot built up (could be real or bad sensor) and the climb back to 100% means it’s continuing to soot load before it gets hot enough to cook the soot out. That can be considered normal…. What’s not normal is that you don’t get below 55% on the PID and back to zero on the dash. You could simply need a really good cleaning, but it wouldn’t surprise me for you to have a bad sensor or failed DPF.

What temps do you see on EGT3 during an active regen?

If you said it before, sorry. Have you tried a stationary regen? What oil are you running? What fuel are you running? Any additives?

Users who are viewing this thread