Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too much oil and poor dealer help

Dinky503

Reaction score
My truck is 2022 3500 SRW S.O. 43K miles.

Last Friday I had my mechanic change my oil and fuel filter change. When he drained the oil it filled a 5gal pan with really thinned down oil and over flowed a bit. Approximately 2 gallon extra fluid, he told me to take it the dealer as I probably have a injector leak. So I called the dealer and told them the story and booked a appointment for Monday.

My check engine light was already on for frequent regen mode due to air filter.

Got to the dealer Monday morning and they had me scheduled for a oil change..... same guy I was talking to set the appointment up. Told the story once again and he said no problem we will make room for you.

Tuesday I get a phone call about regen and how they will force regen under warranty and install the partical recall and should take care of it. Then proceeded to tell me my pcv valve and crank case vent had oil in it from someone over filling my oil. He told me it would be $900 to replace those and won't be covered under warranty do to oil being over filled. I told the guy he was out of his mind of course there was oil there, the system filled 5gal pan on my last oil change. Asked him if they found any issues with my injectors or why I have excess fluid in my oil. He said he doesn't know because they didn't change my oil, he then told me they can't move forward with test until they replace the parts for $900. I told him to transfer me to the manager. I told assiatant manager to stop with the ******** and look at the issue I asked for and quit funding their fishing exhibition. He told me to test for leaks will be $220, I asked what test will they perform? The assitant manager told me a injector power balance test. I told him I am not a certified tech but I think that test is for making sure the injectors are functioning and doing equal load. He told me this test will make sure there are no leaks and if it passes the test there are zero chance of injector issues. I wasn't going to argue there and said if he can guarantee me this test will prove I have not leaks go for it.

Wednesday around 11am I get a call from the assistant manager saying it passed the power balance test no fuel leaks. They check oil level and they are good, added the partical sensor, did a stationary force regen and flashed and reprogrammed my ecu. The total was going to be $590 for test performed. At this point I said I'll come pick up my truck and plan to talk to the manager about the quality of service I received.

The real manager and I spent about 45mins talking about how they never listened to me about potential fuel in my oil and were looking for a quick buck. We came to the terms once my oil level went up I would return and they would not charge me for any testing. I figured that would be good since they technically didn't not see the fluid and were going off a paying customer word. We went out together to document the fluid level with a picture even though the tech marked safe operating level. I pulled the dip stick and no oil was on my dip stick..... they told me they just pulled it around and let it set for a minute to let oil drain down. We waited 15mins and the oil was barely marking on the dip stick. I looked at them and said see why I can't trust your team...I guess it's simple any oil on the dip stick I just bring it back right? The manager looked at the assitant manager like someone was getting punched out. The manager instructed me to drive it home and let it set for a hour and take a picture then. He said the tech said it was in safe operating level and will be good....So I drove home which is 2 miles from the dealer and had to get a ride to work to pick my jeep up. Once home I heard a loud clacking noise, sounds like a dead injector or cylinder slap. I took a video to capture the noise and returned to the dealer. Service advisor came out and heard the noise and said they will check my truck back in. I sent the video to the manager right then since he was not around i went home. No check engine lights on or any Christmas tree lights.

This morning I called @RamCares To Open a claim as thing are not looking like the dealer are going to take care of it. Still waiting for a call from the adjuster now.

The dealer called me a 5pm to tell me they found the clacking issue. They said my batteries need to be replaced as they were low causing ecu problems. One battery was 550cca and the other was 600cc.... they said once they balance and fully charged the batteries the noise went away..... they said they can replace them but it will cost me out of pocket.. I told them I will call them back tomorrow with an answer.

I find it very funny you force regen my truck on low oil... then flash the ecu and reprogram the computer and it makes noise and you blame it on batteries at 70%. You let the customer pick it up making noise and low oil. Hopefully Ram cares takes care of this. Still zero resolution on why there was excess very thing oil in my system.

Last edited:

tchur1

Reaction score
Sorry for all your troubles. Sounds like a pita and terrible dealer.

Your frequent regen code may be the reason for the excess fluid in your oil. Idk that it would account for 2 gallons but excessive regens can dilute your oil with fuel If the truck is constantly in regen.

that noise sounds to me like a lubrication issue but it’s always hard to tell definitively over video, especially considering they sent you home with very little oil in the truck.

I wouldn’t trust that dealer to touch much else at this point.

BamaOEF

Reaction score
I recommend you start sampling your engine oil and document everything. If there was that much Diesel in your oil, I suspect it has already damaged your bearings and it won't be long before you hear the knocking. Blackstone Labs has a great reputation. They will send a free test kit if you ask. https://www.blackstone-labs.com/ (No affiliation). I am picking up my new 2024 Ram 3500 DRW SO on Monday from Mark CDJR. I plan to start sampling every oil change just to make sure all is well. Never had to on my Sig truck. Go to another dealer!

Riddick

Reaction score
The excessive regens more than likely diluted your oil with fuel. If you had 2 gallons extra this would also cause your CCV filter to become saturated. With that much oil in the crank case I wonder what's inside of your charge pipes? I would not be surprised if the bottom of your intercooler is soaked in oil.

After you had the oil changed did you verify the level was correct? Is it possible the shop you used to change it did not fill it properly?

Its very hard to diagnose your noise over the internet but the dealer stating its from low batteries is complete BS. Any metallic tapping noise is never good, I hope you get it taken care of and get you back on the road.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I would not have left the dealership with the oil that low on the dipstick, make it right while it’s there.

2 gallons too much is disturbing for a couple of reasons. Any change you saved some of the oil for a sample? If it was that much diesel the engine is likely severely damaged, and even if it was an oil change mistake with too much oil there is likely some severe damage to the engine as well.

How often do you check your oil level? Any idea how long it had been that full?

Dinky503

Reaction score
Sorry for all your troubles. Sounds like a pita and terrible dealer.

Your frequent regen code may be the reason for the excess fluid in your oil. Idk that it would account for 2 gallons but excessive regens can dilute your oil with fuel If the truck is constantly in regen.

that noise sounds to me like a lubrication issue but it’s always hard to tell definitively over video, especially considering they sent you home with very little oil in the truck.

I wouldn’t trust that dealer to touch much else at this point.

Yep I asked the manage could blocked pcv valve cause regen? he said yes, can too much fluid cause the pcv valve be be blocked? He said yes, can a leaky injector cause too much fluid? he said yes. Then I asked him why his team keeps ignoring my request to look at the fuel system and tell me why I have too much oil.
I recommend you start sampling your engine oil and document everything. If there was that much Diesel in your oil, I suspect it has already damaged your bearings and it won't be long before you hear the knocking. Blackstone Labs has a great reputation. They will send a free test kit if you ask. https://www.blackstone-labs.com/ (No affiliation). I am picking up my new 2024 Ram 3500 DRW SO on Monday from Mark CDJR. I plan to start sampling every oil change just to make sure all is well. Never had to on my Sig truck. Go to another dealer!

Yeah that's the plan here forward. The bearings could be in bad shape and the motor could be toast. We were going to grab a sample but before we knew it his tech dumped the oil before we could. I will have to see what Ram cares says, if I do have a leaky injector it's not going to be good for the truck or the dealer at this point.

Dinky503

Reaction score
The excessive regens more than likely diluted your oil with fuel. If you had 2 gallons extra this would also cause your CCV filter to become saturated. With that much oil in the crank case I wonder what's inside of your charge pipes? I would not be surprised if the bottom of your intercooler is soaked in oil.

After you had the oil changed did you verify the level was correct? Is it possible the shop you used to change it did not fill it properly?

Its very hard to diagnose your noise over the internet but the dealer stating its from low batteries is complete BS. Any metallic tapping noise is never good, I hope you get it taken care of and get you back on the road.

Yes we verified the oil before I left my mechanics shop. I know this guy personally and he service my fleet for work as well. Yep the noise is hard it could be many of things

Dinky503

Reaction score
I would not have left the dealership with the oil that low on the dipstick, make it right while it’s there.

2 gallons too much is disturbing for a couple of reasons. Any change you saved some of the oil for a sample? If it was that much diesel the engine is likely severely damaged, and even if it was an oil change mistake with too much oil there is likely some severe damage to the engine as well.

How often do you check your oil level? Any idea how long it had been that full?

At this point my truck is in trouble, dealership has it all documented as being good to go. They gave me the go ahead to leave as it was safe. You can only turn so red before you can let some eat their own words.

Riddick

Reaction score
Yes we verified the oil before I left my mechanics shop. I know this guy personally and he service my fleet for work as well. Yep the noise is hard it could be many of things

Thanks for clarifying. Did you ask the dealer why they changed the oil on your truck? From the sounds of it you had fresh oil in it when you dropped it off. It sounds like they ignored everything you told them and did whatever they wanted.

Dinky503

Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying. Did you ask the dealer why they changed the oil on your truck? From the sounds of it you had fresh oil in it when you dropped it off. It sounds like they ignored everything you told them and did whatever they wanted.

Yep exactly, it was a fresh oil change and fuel filter change. They argued that I didn't have my truck serviced there and they couldn't help me till they could see the issue. I would be willing to pay to find out, but they keep trying to charge me for part first rather than charge me to find the issue. When the manager asked my why I don't have it serviced there I simply said I don't trust your techs to change oil. He then asked why am I here for warranty and I said because you have to for ram warranty. When I pulled the dip stick and it read empty he was pretty mad, made my point right there.

Last edited:

Dinky503

Reaction score
I had this issue with my 05 Chevy, it ended up being a bad CP3. granted that was 2009.

Yeah no idea, a lot of things to look at really. I would definitely have my buddy do the work as I trust him or if I had time do it myself. Having a warranty that is still good and a extended bumper to bumper to 100k I won't pay for it. Waiting for Ram care to call me back for the next step.

Units

Reaction score
Get a case started with @RamCares and get this stuff documented. Not sure I’d hunt another dealership just yet. They f’d it up, get a case started and keep taking it back there. Make sure you have all receipts from any oil changes as proof. I wouldn’t raise cain at the dealership, just be matter of fact towards them and document everything. Make sure to get a repair invoice every time it goes to the dealership. Remember, you catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar. Hate it for you, hopefully you get it resolved.

Edit : just saw you have touched base with ramcares; everything else I said still applies though.

Dinky503

Reaction score
Get a case started with @RamCares and get this stuff documented. Not sure I’d hunt another dealership just yet. They f’d it up, get a case started and keep taking it back there. Make sure you have all receipts from any oil changes as proof. I wouldn’t raise cain at the dealership, just be matter of fact towards them and document everything. Make sure to get a repair invoice every time it goes to the dealership. Remember, you catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar. Hate it for you, hopefully you get it resolved.

Edit : just saw you have touched base with ramcares; everything else I said still applies though.

Yep case is open, I have been stern with the dealer a call ********. Nothing over the top or threats. Ive paid them so far but Ram care said not to go any further with them untill my case rep talks to me. Going to another dealer I'll probably have the same issue, and I rather them suffer with Me lol. My buddy has a shop and does everything to vin so it should all be on carfax. He service our fleet and I can call same day and he is in walking distance of my shop. I only go to the dealer for warranty work.

Tim_G

Reaction score
I'm willing to bet anything that when that dealer changed your oil, they put in 5 quarts of 5-30 or whatever is spec for the 1500 gassers, not knowing that there's a difference. Dealers do not employ mechanics anymore, especially diesel mechanics. They hire whatever they can get cause they are cheap labor. They call these kids technicians because the term "Apprentice" or "Entry-Level" or "Helper" is offensive to the new generation. And it's not specific to Ram. All the brands have moved to this model. I highly recommend finding and using an independant true mechanic, like your fleet guy. Not only are they usually cheaper, the quality of workmanship and general competence is much higher. Also recommend starting to get some sort of used oil analysis like Blackstone Labs (not affiliated). It's amazing what those reports will tell you. I truly hope that RamCares and the dealer get this right for you.

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm willing to bet anything that when that dealer changed your oil, they put in 5 quarts of 5-30 or whatever is spec for the 1500 gassers, not knowing that there's a difference. Dealers do not employ mechanics anymore, especially diesel mechanics. They hire whatever they can get cause they are cheap labor. They call these kids technicians because the term "Apprentice" or "Entry-Level" or "Helper" is offensive to the new generation. And it's not specific to Ram. All the brands have moved to this model. I highly recommend finding and using an independant true mechanic, like your fleet guy. Not only are they usually cheaper, the quality of workmanship and general competence is much higher. Also recommend starting to get some sort of used oil analysis like Blackstone Labs (not affiliated). It's amazing what those reports will tell you. I truly hope that RamCares and the dealer get this right for you.

I think as a blanket statement, that is patently false.

That said, a diesel rated tech isn't likely to be changing oil in cars/trucks. Those are most often entry level.

I think it's important to make a distinction regarding the level of service relative to the procedure.

Dinky503

Reaction score

As much as I don't trust or like the dealer, and prefer to go to a independent shop. I don't think the dealer put the wrong oil in as they didn't change my oil. They inspected oil level and said it was good.

Finding a good shop is definitely hard, and dealers are just like anyone else. Blue collar work is in high demand and more jobs available than skilled workers. The tech that was working on my truck, My mechanic knows and guy has 25 years experience. The tech can only do so much and is told what to do and replace. Yes quality of work and know how is getting bad but I wouldn't blame the tech fully in this one.

Dinky503

Reaction score

I am in Hillsboro Oregon, Intel found out how auto mechanics make good techs for them. They went out head hunting and with their benefits and pay was a no Brainer for a lot of them. I know of 6 master techs that went to work for intel.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve been tracking the frequent regeneration issue for a while now. 60%+ of the trucks reporting frequent regeneration issues are 2022’s. Your engine oil was overfull specifically because of the frequent regeneration. I’ve seen this over and over. If you’re not someone who actively monitors their regeneration cycles, the truck will do it every 100 miles or less in some scenarios. That frequency is sometimes just enough that it doesn’t trip DTC P2459, but plenty often to cause severe fuel dilution in the crankcase. I had two owners send me their oil analysis reports recently (both are having frequent regeneration issues) and both had high levels of fuel dilution. One was about 6% fuel dilution in 3,000 miles. If left unchecked regen frequency can spiral out of control. It will increase oil level due to excessive fuel, then this causes the CCV filter to become saturated because excessive amounts of oil vapor get drawn into the ventilation system. Ultimately it’ll pool in the intake of the turbocharger and be pressed into the intake air stream where it further compounds the regen frequency problem. Ram engineering (STAR) is fully aware that they have a problem with these regen frequency issues, especially in 2022 trucks. I can provide you with more information if you’d like, or you can check out the running threads I have on this over in the powertrain section.

Users who are viewing this thread