Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too much oil and poor dealer help

Dinky503

Reaction score
I’ve been tracking the frequent regeneration issue for a while now. 60%+ of the trucks reporting frequent regeneration issues are 2022’s. Your engine oil was overfull specifically because of the frequent regeneration. I’ve seen this over and over. If you’re not someone who actively monitors their regeneration cycles, the truck will do it every 100 miles or less in some scenarios. That frequency is sometimes just enough that it doesn’t trip DTC P2459, but plenty often to cause severe fuel dilution in the crankcase. I had two owners send me their oil analysis reports recently (both are having frequent regeneration issues) and both had high levels of fuel dilution. One was about 6% fuel dilution in 3,000 miles. If left unchecked regen frequency can spiral out of control. It will increase oil level due to excessive fuel, then this causes the CCV filter to become saturated because excessive amounts of oil vapor get drawn into the ventilation system. Ultimately it’ll pool in the intake of the turbocharger and be pressed into the intake air stream where it further compounds the regen frequency problem. Ram engineering (STAR) is fully aware that they have a problem with these regen frequency issues, especially in 2022 trucks. I can provide you with more information if you’d like, or you can check out the running threads I have on this over in the powertrain section.

Thanks I'll take a look at it, i might need it to prove where the fuel is coming from. The extra fuel could toast bearing and other things. Maybe @RamCares could take a look at this too.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve been tracking the frequent regeneration issue for a while now. 60%+ of the trucks reporting frequent regeneration issues are 2022’s. Your engine oil was overfull specifically because of the frequent regeneration. I’ve seen this over and over. If you’re not someone who actively monitors their regeneration cycles, the truck will do it every 100 miles or less in some scenarios. That frequency is sometimes just enough that it doesn’t trip DTC P2459, but plenty often to cause severe fuel dilution in the crankcase. I had two owners send me their oil analysis reports recently (both are having frequent regeneration issues) and both had high levels of fuel dilution. One was about 6% fuel dilution in 3,000 miles. If left unchecked regen frequency can spiral out of control. It will increase oil level due to excessive fuel, then this causes the CCV filter to become saturated because excessive amounts of oil vapor get drawn into the ventilation system. Ultimately it’ll pool in the intake of the turbocharger and be pressed into the intake air stream where it further compounds the regen frequency problem. Ram engineering (STAR) is fully aware that they have a problem with these regen frequency issues, especially in 2022 trucks. I can provide you with more information if you’d like, or you can check out the running threads I have on this over in the powertrain section.

Which is where this thread should probably be (hint).

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Move it if you want won't hurt my feelings rather contribute data if I can. I'll probably know more next week when I talk to Ram care.

Wasn't trying to be crusty about it, your experience provides great value, but the gassers don't generally care to see much of the diesel issues and tend to complain so most Cummins centric issues tend to land in the powertrain forum. It's wasn't meant as a slight against anyone.

I was quoting our newly minted mod, thinking it would be a good training exercise for him. LOL

Dinky503

Reaction score
Wasn't trying to be crusty about it, your experience provides great value, but the gassers don't generally care to see much of the diesel issues and tend to complain so most Cummins centric issues tend to land in the powertrain forum. It's wasn't meant as a slight against anyone.

I was quoting our newly minted mod, thinking it would be a good training exercise for him. LOL

Nope I didn't think it was crusty at all. Didn't take what you said wrong in any way. If this is the reason for my oil it should get Ram moving more with another one to compare.@mbarber84 ive seen on Facebook the guy is a data collection maniac lol. I've stirred the pot a bit at the dealership and if there is a service bulletin out why haven't they read it lol, Could of saved them some headaches.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
This sounds like cam / lifter failure to me. Highly diluted engine oil from the excessive amount of fuel would be enough. The cam and lifter design in this current generation engine is a weak point to begin with. Lots of poor choices made with regard to the lifter design itself, and the materials used to make them.

Dinky503

Reaction score
Yeah that sounds a lot like something in the valve train is slapping around. How many miles were on the fuel-diluted engine oil that they drained out?

I change my oil every 8k and the check engine light came on around 5k into that oil change. Truck has 43k ish total.

Dinky503

Reaction score
UPDATE:

Talked to Ram care this morning, Seems like a nice case manager. They are reaching out to the dealer to get their input on what's going on. A little talk of taking it to another dealer or possible buy back. Still early to say anything but should have more answers by end of week. All my view points are noted and they do understand my concerns of motor being toast.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Talked to Ram care this morning, Seems like a nice case manager. They are reaching out to the dealer to get their input on what's going on. A little talk of taking it to another dealer or possible buy back. Still early to say anything but should have more answers by end of week. All my view points are noted and they do understand my concerns of motor being toast.
Keep us updated.
Sounds positive so far

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
9/10 problems on this forum are Cummins problems. Don’t end up with dealership problems if you aren’t at the dealership.
Not all dealerships are created equal. There are some really good dealerships out there, just the same as there are some exceptionally capable Ram service techs out there. Some of whom supply “us” with a lot of hard-to-source information (for free and at considerable risk I might add). Be careful not to lump them all under one banner. Like most any other organization, professions, or businesses: there are good ones and bad ones.

Dinky503

Reaction score
9/10 problems on this forum are Cummins problems. Don’t end up with dealership problems if you aren’t at the dealership.

I would say this day and age the percentage of people buying a deisel truck is staggering vs gas trucks. 3% 1000 is a lot more then 3% of 100. Bigger the number of owners more we hear about it.

Users who are viewing this thread