Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too much oil and poor dealer help

Units

Reaction score
I would also add, I’m 100% guilty of it, a lot of people are looking for a place to complain about their current issues with their truck and find their way online. There are in my opinion, way more trucks without problems than there are with. You do hear from time to time people commenting on how much they like their truck, but in general you mostly hear people looking for answers with problems to their truck, which would make it seem like there are more problems than there is non problems.

Enve46

Reaction score
As a PW owner I love reading issues of all sorts. Having knowledge can never be a bad thing. Coming from a few diesels previously, I never owned them long enough to have these issues. My 22 however was probably the worst new vehicle I’ve ever owned with electrical issues that shut the truck off in traffic that Ram couldn’t figure out why it wouldn’t throw a code for loss of power to ECU, which we all know should be in there. I dumped it at 4k miles for another TRX and lost a few grand in the process but my families safety meant more. We should also keep in mind Ram/Cummins aren’t the only ones with issues. Seems QC has gone down hill and we can blame whatever we want. The worst part of the QC issue is the dealers we have to interact with, MOST of the time, to get things done. It only adds to the frustration when paying the premium we do these days. **** happens, **** breaks but how it’s handled is important. Passing blame to OP is a perfect example of dealers these days.

Dinky503

Reaction score
Good points. OP, hope you get your truck fixed soon.

i used to have a 1500 and loved that truck. Needed a diesel for work to haul things, and now were going to get a travel trailer probably around 32'. I would love to be able to go back to a gas truck but it doesn't make sense. There are a lot of hills around here and towing weight with gas isn't fun.

Yeah I hope it gets fixed to. I don't know if I am keeping it or trading it in. I have a couple sales people working on numbers now. Parts of me want to keep it to just tell the dealer look I told you so. Either way it could cost me $20k, I will definitely keep everyone posted on the matter.

Last edited:

Enve46

Reaction score
i used to have a 1500 and loved that truck. Needed a diesel for work to haul things, and now were going to get a travel trailer probably around 32'. I would love to be able to go back to a gas truck but it doesn't make sense. There are a lot of hills around here and towing weight with gas isn't fun.

Yeah I hope it gets fixed to. I don't know if I am keeping it or trading it in. I have a couple sales people working on numbers now. Parts of me want to keep it to just tell the dealer look I told you so. Either way it could cost me $20k, I will definitely keep everyone posted on the matter.
I dont envy people who are in your position. However, if I were needing a diesel Id probably go to a 4th Gen and deal with the issues they have as they dont seem to be eating engines/cams/lifters. I had a 13 G56 truck and it was awesome. I simply didnt need a diesel so got rid of it.

Dinky503

Reaction score
I dont envy people who are in your position. However, if I were needing a diesel Id probably go to a 4th Gen and deal with the issues they have as they dont seem to be eating engines/cams/lifters. I had a 13 G56 truck and it was awesome. I simply didnt need a diesel so got rid of it.

Finding a 4th gen in my area that is not all clapped out is pretty hard lol.

Enve46

Reaction score
Finding a 4th gen in my area that is not all clapped out is pretty hard lol.
I hear you! They're tough to find clean. When I bought my 19 limited, there was a 2018 3500 with 18k miles on it. I almost bought it instead. They're out there!

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Oil level is documented with the dealer and I need to return after 500 to 1000 miles. We will pull oil sample then. I'll probably have my shop do it next week as well.
Highly recommend using the basic or advanced oil analysis kits that Cummins sells. They’re less than $20 and they utilize Polaris Laboratories. You’ll get excellent analysis and a very in depth explanation of the results.

Dinky503

Reaction score
Pick it up from the dealer tonight. Paid for battery replacement...... cold Start I can still hear the sound, not near as loud but still there.

Once I drove it off the lot regen mode kicks on......
20240119_174731.jpg20240119_175811.jpg

:mad:20240119_175829.jpg

Last edited:

Enve46

Reaction score
Good on you documenting this. I hope they get you taken care of…

Jacob

Reaction score
How does excessive regens add fuel to the oil?

Dinky503

Reaction score

See quote below

I’ve been tracking the frequent regeneration issue for a while now. 60%+ of the trucks reporting frequent regeneration issues are 2022’s. Your engine oil was overfull specifically because of the frequent regeneration. I’ve seen this over and over. If you’re not someone who actively monitors their regeneration cycles, the truck will do it every 100 miles or less in some scenarios. That frequency is sometimes just enough that it doesn’t trip DTC P2459, but plenty often to cause severe fuel dilution in the crankcase. I had two owners send me their oil analysis reports recently (both are having frequent regeneration issues) and both had high levels of fuel dilution. One was about 6% fuel dilution in 3,000 miles. If left unchecked regen frequency can spiral out of control. It will increase oil level due to excessive fuel, then this causes the CCV filter to become saturated because excessive amounts of oil vapor get drawn into the ventilation system. Ultimately it’ll pool in the intake of the turbocharger and be pressed into the intake air stream where it further compounds the regen frequency problem. Ram engineering (STAR) is fully aware that they have a problem with these regen frequency issues, especially in 2022 trucks. I can provide you with more information if you’d like, or you can check out the running threads I have on this over in the powertrain section.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
When the truck goes into an active regeneration mode, the engine’s fuel injectors are used to supply diesel fuel into the exhaust system for the purpose of increasing the temperature inside the DPF. The injectors are triggered during the exhaust stroke and the fuel is shot into the cylinders on a non-combustion stroke. The cylinders push the fuel out of the cylinder via the exhaust valve and into the downstream exhaust flow. Some of the fuel that is injected into each cylinder ends up passing down through the cylinders and into the crankcase sump. It is unavoidable. Under normal operation and use, active regeneration should only really occur every 24 hours (if the truck is being worked hard enough to keep soot loading down in the DPF). Typically this means that the average truck should go about 1,000 miles and 24 engine hours between regeneration cycles. In that scenario, the truck will only see 10-15 regeneration cycles total within a given oil change interval. Fuel dilution in this case, would be kept to minimum acceptable level. When you have a truck that’s regenerating too frequently, this fuel dilution problem can increase rapidly and get out of hand quickly. Take for instance a truck that’s malfunctioning and regenerating every 100 miles. This means it’s regenerating ten times more often than a truck that’s running correctly. Ten times the number of regenerations also means ten times the amount of residual fuel being passed into the engine oil. This can raise the engine oil level in the crankcase sump above its normal maximum level. Which in turn causes additional issues with excessive oil / fuel vapor being drawn into the ccv filter system and ultimately passed to the intake air stream via the turbocharger.

CaptainMike

Reaction score
When the truck goes into an active regeneration mode, the engine’s fuel injectors are used to supply diesel fuel into the exhaust system for the purpose of increasing the temperature inside the DPF. The injectors are triggered during the exhaust stroke and the fuel is shot into the cylinders on a non-combustion stroke. The cylinders push the fuel out of the cylinder via the exhaust valve and into the downstream exhaust flow. Some of the fuel that is injected into each cylinder ends up passing down through the cylinders and into the crankcase sump. It is unavoidable. Under normal operation and use, active regeneration should only really occur every 24 hours (if the truck is being worked hard enough to keep soot loading down in the DPF). Typically this means that the average truck should go about 1,000 miles and 24 engine hours between regeneration cycles. In that scenario, the truck will only see 10-15 regeneration cycles total within a given oil change interval. Fuel dilution in this case, would be kept to minimum acceptable level. When you have a truck that’s regenerating too frequently, this fuel dilution problem can increase rapidly and get out of hand quickly. Take for instance a truck that’s malfunctioning and regenerating every 100 miles. This means it’s regenerating ten times more often than a truck that’s running correctly. Ten times the number of regenerations also means ten times the amount of residual fuel being passed into the engine oil. This can raise the engine oil level in the crankcase sump above its normal maximum level. Which in turn causes additional issues with excessive oil / fuel vapor being drawn into the ccv filter system and ultimately passed to the intake air stream via the turbocharger.
And Ram/FCA/Stellantis with all of the crack engineers they feel they can afford have absolutely no idea of what the problem is. And despite their exaltations, I don't think Ram cares one tiny bit.

Last edited:

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
And Ram/FCA/Stellantis with all of the crack engineers they feel they can afford have absolutely know idea of what the problem is. And despite their exaltations, I don't think Ram cares one tiny bit.
I think the major issue is that this will never be a problem with a “one size fits all” solution. The level of complexity these trucks have is staggering. There are multiple independent systems that all tie together when it comes to regenerating the DPF. If any one of those subsystems has an issue, the balance gets upset and things start working incorrectly. Add to this variables in each trucks daily duty cycle, as well as the type of operator the truck has, and you have a very complicated issue that requires significant amounts of time to digest, dissect, and diagnose. It’s a snowball of complexity, enlarged by lack of experienced technicians, made further larger by dealerships that are under time crunches and out of service deadlines, and what you end up with is a conundrum.

Users who are viewing this thread