Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To Ceramic...or not to Ceramic....

TonyT

Reaction score
I think I am about the same in regards to how I look at my truck. It's a tool, though a very expensive tool so I see the value in taking care fo it. I don't wash it as often as others do as a little dust haze on my Diamond Black colored Night Edition, isn't all that bothersome to me.

After I bought my truck I had the full rundown done to it before it hit 1000miles. 3step paint correction, Xpel (the good stuff) on the entire hood/windshield/front fenders/bumpers, ceramic coating on all painted surfaces/undercarriage /wheels, and window tint. All totaling $5800.

Long story short, in my experience with two shops that came highly recommended - trucks don't get the respect (or effort,) high-end luxury cars do in the detailer's care.

I wouldn't do it again, or at least - I wouldn't pay someone to do it. Ceramic coating is certainly the new standard in paint protection, and it's not that difficult to do yourself.

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
Griots DA(Love this thing), 3m clay, meguiars m21/m105/m205 is what I've been using for several years. My 7yo Frontier looked new when it got sold last year. I do the clay/polish/sealer in the spring then sealer only in fall. This system was fine for a Frontier or my 2d JK but this ram is a freaking beast. By the time I spend the day erasing the past I can't hardly pick up my Whiskey n Coke. So I'm going to be watching this thread as I think the ceramic DIY will be cherry poppin soon. Once upon a time carnuba was king, then synthetic sealants took over. So, if I hurry up and learn the ceramic they can make something new and better the next day.

Vroooom

Reaction score
Again, I very much appreciate EVERYONES comments. Thank you all.

Update on numbers that I've gotten back from a very well reviewed professional detailing company.

Their email in reply to my inquiry:
"We have been coating for 7 years now and have done well over 1000 Vehicles. We have also been doing paint correction for more than 10 years.
We have done roughly 150-200 this year.
We use Ceramic Pro which has a couple different options for you.
2 year coating 690
5 year coating 990
Lifetime coating 1390
These packages will all include wheels, windows, paint and plastics.

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
That would be a tough call for me. Price looks pretty reasonable for sure, exc maybe the 2yr. I would say I spend appx 12hrs/yr on detailing and sealing the exterior of each vehicle I own. So the ceramic installation would definitely pay for itself depending on your viewpoint. Unfortunately I have a lil fetish for this sorta thing so I would still rather DIY it. Plus I have trust issues that typically keep my vehicles out of the hands of others. Can you look at a finished product? My research on ceramic made it sound like the paint correction is the most important piece of the puzzle. So if you can lay eyes on their facility and craftsmanship it might help you decide the best route??

AlexRAM

Reaction score
I have mine ceramic coated running 3 years now, it is worth the price. The protection it gives pays for itself. I still do maintain it twice a year, because it still gets water spots and put booster for hydrophobicity. whatever happens on the coating, nothing happens on your clear coat. The paint is still preserved original. For long term protection have it ceramic coated, those hybrid ceramic spray waxes are good like sealants only.

Dakrt23

Reaction score
Huge fan of my ceramic coat on this big ol girl ... 2000 for full paint correct and 5 year ceramic coating from Kamikaze .. works great and has protected it well in last year from bird crap, dust, acid rain, etc etc.. Super easy to keep clean. Still use it like a truck and a quick wash has it back to 100 percent no prob. I like using Ammo Hydrate for quick detailing maintenance and post wash wipe down.

Attachments

• 9C776AB7-A1B1-4F94-B839-D540EEDABCA9.jpeg
    9C776AB7-A1B1-4F94-B839-D540EEDABCA9.jpeg
    769.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 11A543B1-4BE9-472C-BF01-1DC37EB21946.jpeg
    11A543B1-4BE9-472C-BF01-1DC37EB21946.jpeg
    872.7 KB · Views: 61

Madmax

Reaction score
Again, I very much appreciate EVERYONES comments. Thank you all.

Update on numbers that I've gotten back from a very well reviewed professional detailing company.

Their email in reply to my inquiry:
"We have been coating for 7 years now and have done well over 1000 Vehicles. We have also been doing paint correction for more than 10 years.
We have done roughly 150-200 this year.
We use Ceramic Pro which has a couple different options for you.
2 year coating 690
5 year coating 990
Lifetime coating 1390
These packages will all include wheels, windows, paint and plastics.
For that price I would go for it. That's very reasonable!

Riveyman

Reaction score
I've done some research on the ceramic coating myself. I don't have the grand or more to spend on getting it done professionally. So, I'm going the DIY route for just over a hundred bucks.
Yes, it's going to be a full day of cleaning, polishing, and applying the product. But you either have the time or you have the money to let someone else do it. Right now , I've got more time than money.

As someone else mentioned the biggest thing is the paint correction. If you just put the coating on, it's more than likely going to enhance the imperfections of the paint. ie swirl marks, light scratches etc.
So, I've purchased the products to DIY.

As a NOTE for others thinking of DIYing, The problem I'm having as a DIYer, is the weather. Truck won't fit in the garage and the instructions say "No direct sunlight" or "Do NOT apply to hot surface". So getting the right weather has been a challenge.
Also, it seems like it's been raining non-stop since I decided to take on this task. uggg

Anyhow, Will provide an update when I actually get to it. I'm hoping this weekend.

MikeXM

Reaction score
Watch latest Pan video on graphene coatings. Those coatings are insane.

Next spring, I will do the full paint job with Adam's Graphene. The new CG stuff looks great too. Better sheeting than Adam's it looks like. But I already bought Adam's so that will be my goto product next spring.

louisiana_dog

Reaction score
I know this doesn't go with the theme of the thread. I have the sports package (which I hate but the truck has everything else I wanted) and had it a month with 2-3 chips already. I'm thinking I'll just see how the bumper goes then line-x the thing. It's patriot blue so it is already darker. It will be getting a line-x bed liner anyway soon. I may just doe the critical areas as I am keeping the truck long-term.

kobra

Reaction score
Why not do something like Xpel or 3M film? I've done that to several trucks and it works very well.

B

MikeXM

Reaction score
I know this doesn't go with the theme of the thread. I have the sports package (which I hate but the truck has everything else I wanted) and had it a month with 2-3 chips already. I'm thinking I'll just see how the bumper goes then line-x the thing. It's patriot blue so it is already darker. It will be getting a line-x bed liner anyway soon. I may just doe the critical areas as I am keeping the truck long-term.
Solution is to put a film like XPEL on your bumper. Way nicer than Line-X! Line-X is perfect in the bed, but it always look dirty.

louisiana_dog

Reaction score
I meant to include costs of such. Xpel is in the $1000 for that while line-x is $3-400 (depending on exactly what is done)

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Solution is to put a film like XPEL on your bumper. Way nicer than Line-X! Line-X is perfect in the bed, but it always look dirty.
The uv resistant line-x is very east to clean and looks pretty good if done right

MikeXM

Reaction score
I meant to include costs of such. Xpel is in the $1000 for that while line-x is $3-400 (depending on exactly what is done)
If you get charged 1k for the bumper, change dealers asap!
Bumper alone should be $200-300.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I know? I'm saying the line-x looks dirty, even after washing.
No the uv resistant does not look dirty after its washed it looks clean. We had a whole mud truck done and even after covering it in mud it comes back nice and black

MikeXM

Reaction score
No the uv resistant does not look dirty after its washed it looks clean. We had a whole mud truck done and even after covering it in mud it comes back nice and black
Okay. Don't know this one I guess.

louisiana_dog

Reaction score
What is recommended on paint chips in the meantime? I'll grab another Xpell quote as well.

Ranch41

Reaction score
I researched ceramic coatings and recommend doing it yourself. The cost of the DA orbital polisher, pads, and product is around $1,000 but then you can polish and paint correct many cars. There are pro products tha you have to have training to purchase but the retail products are very good. Just finished my truck.

Attachments

• E8810B38-BCE9-40CD-8C76-7AA333B29D3E.jpeg
    E8810B38-BCE9-40CD-8C76-7AA333B29D3E.jpeg
    753.1 KB · Views: 63

Users who are viewing this thread