Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To Ceramic...or not to Ceramic....

Vroooom

Reaction score
That is the question.

I hope to take delivery of my new truck soon(ish). I understand that the finance department will try to up-sell me on a few revenue-generators. And I know that some of those are more worthy than others.

My truck earns its keep every day. It wont fit in my garage. It wont sit in a parking lot. At the same time, I care too much to "Send it" through a oil fields or go rock climbing in it.

Lots of highway time...baking in the sun....dust...dirt....redneck pin-stripes....every day is an adventure.

I think that ceramic might be the right thing to do....but Im far from certain.

IF I do decide to do it, does it make sense to do it from the dealership or take it to a local detailer once I get it home?

I dont know what the dealerships are charging for Ceramic.

Local detailers are quoting a range from $1200 for "2 years of protection" to $2200 for "5 years of protection".

Thoughts? Advice? Constructive input?

THX

Happy trails, all.

Madmax

Reaction score
It's an expensive proposition for sure! We probably need to know a little more on how you use your truck. Do you run it into the ground till it's dead, do you trade every 3-5 years, etc.? It sounds like your truck gets taken care of, but used as a truck. It may not be value added to go to the expense if it's truly getting scratched/dinged up. I will say this some of the do it yourself hybrid wax/ceramics from places like Griots or chemical guys are pretty darned good and super easy to apply. That might make more sense for a truck that earns it's leaving over one that's more babied. Come trade in time if it's been used/scratched/dinged you may not get your 2K investment back, but a $30 hybrid ceramic may keep it looking good 'enough' throughout your ownership. Ceramics don't really protect from scratches or things like that. Give us some details on your plan for the truck?

I've priced having it done for mine and couldn't justify the expense, and mine probably falls more in the 'babied' category than it sounds like yours does.

Either way I would go somewhere else and not pay a middleman or let them roll it into the financing and pay months of financing charges on it. The dealerships around here all sub it out.

MikeXM

Reaction score
Jury is still out on true durability, but Graphene coatings are the detailer's darling right now.
I agree. And they got so easy to apply that you dont need a professional detailler to do it. At $2200, that better include paint correction otherwise it's a rip-off.

Do it yourself, save a bunch.

BTW a film like Xpel will protect your paint much better that any coating. Especially if you have painted bumper, that is a must. I had mine done on most critical areas.

I was going to do whole exterior/interior ceramic. I did most (all plastics, windows, wheels, etc) except actual paint as I didn't get the time to do it. So next spring I'll do it. And it will be graphene.

I ceramic coated my leather seats. Probably the best thing you can do if you have leather.

Vroooom

Reaction score
Thanks for all the constructive input. I have participated in several different forums on and one thing that is very appreciated about HDRAMS forum is that a vast majority of the threads, and responses by nearly all of the members are constructive, helpful, pleasant, fun.....neighborly. nearly every other forum I've been a member of has been less....neighborly. Its clear that this is my crowd.

Anyhow....back on the topic of ceramics: I would classify my truck as a well cared-for workhorse. Just like airplanes, I take good care of it because i need it to take good care of me. There is never a good time for a failure.

It sounds like the DIY hybrid ceramic thing might be best for me. I'll do a little more thinking on it and check back here.

I had been contemplating a matte-black vanyl or bed-liner coating on the Front/rear bumper, fender flares and the lower quarter-panel of the sides. Admittedly, i was planning that mostly for aesthetics because I think that would look good against the Granite Gray. But it would theoretically ad some degree of protection, as well (though not enough to justify the effort/expense). Its just hard to do that when Im spending so much on the night edition already, just to turn around and start jacking with the "appearance". Any-whoooo.....stuff to keep my mind occupied while I wait for deliver of the truck.

As for ceramic coating the interior....I had no idea that was a thing. The selling point of most ceramic coatings that I read about is that its "like adding a thin layer of glass" to protect the surface. THat would imply that the finished product has a high tensile-strength, making it resistant to abrasion and chipping. High Tensile-Strength is usually associated with rigidity and being brittle. I hadnt thought of ceramic coatings being applied to a flexible, soft, pliable surface such as a seat-leather. Im gonna need to do a little more pondering on that one.

Thanks again, everybody.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The only caution I would make re: bed liner type coatings on exterior panels is that it's usually tough to clean them or keep them looking nice. A friend coating the front of his fifth wheels with Rhino and it looks like crap all the time.

At least with Vinyl, it's easy to pull and re-apply. Not so with the other product.

MikeXM

Reaction score
As for ceramic coating the interior....I had no idea that was a thing. The selling point of most ceramic coatings that I read about is that its "like adding a thin layer of glass" to protect the surface. THat would imply that the finished product has a high tensile-strength, making it resistant to abrasion and chipping. High Tensile-Strength is usually associated with rigidity and being brittle. I hadnt thought of ceramic coatings being applied to a flexible, soft, pliable surface such as a seat-leather. Im gonna need to do a little more pondering on that one.

Thanks again, everybody.

Here is a good review and howto guide for leather ceramic coating. BTW it is VERY easy to do:

jbncccb

Reaction score
Just one comment, a true ceramic coating on the paint applied by a professional is very different than the ceramic coatings / waxes that you can buy in the store or online.

A true ceramic coating requires all the surface to be prepped with something like high strength rubbing alcohol. About 1 sq ft at a time. The bottle of ceramic is actually quite small, 6 oz or so.

The hybrid waxes work great, but only last for about 3 washes or 3 rain events. The professional coating will last a few years.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

MikeXM

Reaction score
I have to disagree. If you know what you are buying, you get the same stuff as the pro. While some stuff are exclusive to pros, they have been proven to not be any better than top notch ceramic coatings available to anyone.

The new graphene coatings (still a ceramic base) have an expected life of up to 7 years. They are available online, like amazon. An example would be Adam's Graphene Ceramic Coating. The complete kit, including the UV flashlight to verify your work is available for about $100.

The advantage of going with a pro is the paint correction they usually do before applying the ceramic. That is the bulk of the work and what you pay. If you are paying full price without paint correction, that detailler is just cashing your money.

Vroooom

Reaction score
I reckon I should, perhaps, work this backwards......

Rather than finding the right job for the tool (ceramic coating)....I'll seek the right tool for the job (the best protection I can get for a reasonable budget).

I'm willing to pay a fair-amount to do it right....nothing is more expensive than half-assed.

I was hoping to be able to find a local detailer who would do a good ceramic job for somewhere in the neighborhood of $500.....but that looks like its not gonna happen.

I figured that I MIGHT be willing to inflate my budget up to $1000......also looks like that is not a realistic expectation to have a detailer do ceramic.

There is no way I would be willing to go to the numbers that I am seeing....for a professional ceramic coating.

Which takes me to.....DIY.

If my $500-ish dollar budget for this project means that the best tool for this job is a carefully applied DIY-Ceramic-Hybrid thingy....I can do dat.

Some of the DIY ceramic products for me to consider:

Alternatively, I've seen several mentions of different Mequires products and similar stuff that I could do a couple times a year.

Or......I can do a weekly run through a soft-touch car wash.

Currently I use the same cleaning/polishing product that I use for my airplane (dont laugh, while it's nothing super-special, but it works, and its pretty simple).
But thats more of cleaning product than a "protective" product.

Lots of options to consider along the path of choosing....the right tool.

I appreciate all of the input.

Last edited:

BULLSANDBUCKSHUNTER

Reaction score
No real knowledge of ceramic coatings, i just use the turtle wax ceramic line of wax/care produts, super impressive! I do know about bedliner: i will advise if you use truck bed liner on bumpers or other trim pieces make sure you get the gloss version with the UV protection(dont go cheap!), it will last longer for apperance than standard spray on and will wash much nicer

delmoniCO

Reaction score
I'm getting the entire front clip plus the roof line covered with Suntek (full panel coverage with wrapped edges) for $1900. Another $1700 for CeramicPro 9H on the entire truck. This includes paint correction on the entire vehicle first. At least in Denver, this is a pretty competitive rate for this large of a vehicle.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Wow...I figured I could have detailer do it for half of the dealer cost was. Now I'm wondering what the dealers are really using for their coating.

This week I get to was my camper and my truck before leaving for a trip next week.

Sarge33Army

Reaction score
Had a new travel trailer (TT) that I would wash/polish/wax four times a year. Used a random orbital buffer and multiple Meguires and Chemical Guys products. Kept TT covered when not in use. (Live in Southern AZ with full East, South, and West sum exposure.) At four years, oxidation took hold and it didn't matter what I did, it would return within a few months. Got a another new TT about two years ago... The dealer offered ceramic coating by a reputable shop (Bob Moses in Phoenix) for $2,500. I negotiated and made ceramic coating part of the deal for $1,000. It's GREAT! Still keep it covered, but only need to wash it quarterly while adding a small amount of ceramic enhancement product to the water bucket. So pleased with the ceramic coating, that I had Bob Moses ceramic coat the new RAM for $1,100 which included quite a bit of paint correction. It's just as easy to maintain and provides an impressive look. However, I do use the Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic Wax on the 2017 Kia Sorrento. It's looks super and so easy to apply. Much cheaper as well. Note: Warranties on the ceramic coating are five years on the TT and eight years on the pickup.

Vroooom

Reaction score
Had a new travel trailer (TT) that I would wash/polish/wax four times a year. Used a random orbital buffer and multiple Meguires and Chemical Guys products. Kept TT covered when not in use. (Live in Southern AZ with full East, South, and West sum exposure.) At four years, oxidation took hold and it didn't matter what I did, it would return within a few months. Got a another new TT about two years ago... The dealer offered ceramic coating by a reputable shop (Bob Moses in Phoenix) for $2,500. I negotiated and made ceramic coating part of the deal for $1,000. It's GREAT! Still keep it covered, but only need to wash it quarterly while adding a small amount of ceramic enhancement product to the water bucket. So pleased with the ceramic coating, that I had Bob Moses ceramic coat the new RAM for $1,100 which included quite a bit of paint correction. It's just as easy to maintain and provides an impressive look. However, I do use the Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic Wax on the 2017 Kia Sorrento. It's looks super and so easy to apply. Much cheaper as well. Note: Warranties on the ceramic coating are five years on the TT and eight years on the pickup.
FANTASTIC feedback. Thank you for the sit-rep as well as the price-points. Both will help me make an informed decision.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Watch a few Pan the Organizer vids but I would jump straight to a DIY Graphene product. Just make sure you do the prep well.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm getting the entire front clip plus the roof line covered with Suntek (full panel coverage with wrapped edges) for $1900. Another $1700 for CeramicPro 9H on the entire truck. This includes paint correction on the entire vehicle first. At least in Denver, this is a pretty competitive rate for this large of a vehicle.
What part of town and who are you using?

My goto guy is no longer in the biz...

cobradvm

Reaction score
I had a car I bought new almost four years ago and had it ceramic coated professionally by a well known local business. I also had Xpel installed on the front half of the car. I'm a huge believer in both of those products. If the car is just dusty, a light pressure wash and a wipe down with a microfiber towel and it looks like new. No polishing, no washing with soap etc. If it's dirty then I'll wash it with soap and a microfiber mitt, and then wipe it down with the towel. The car also gets tracked regularly, and while it's not perfect, the Xpel has held up well to the abuse.
I've had the truck ceramic coated and it's much the same thing - if it's dusty, I can get away with just a pressure wash, and the dust just washes away. I had the front bumper covered with a different PPF (Suntek I think), and the quality was just not the same. Spend the money and get Xpel and have it done properly. Also I doubt that ceramic coating offered by the dealer will be as good as getting it done at a good detailing business. It may be okay, but you've no idea who they are using, and if they're just doing a quickie for the $$$ rather than doing it properly.

bigrobtemp

Reaction score
OK this is like an oil thread so im gonna throw my 2 cents in. I live in Michigan where the roads really suck and winter is bad. They salt the roads so much it piles up. My truck won't fit in garage with all the other toys in there so it has to sit out. I researched and bought Mequires m27. Same stuff the detailers can apply. I followed the directions and applied it a few weeks ago. It is doing a really nice job with the weather so far. I talked to the Mequires reps and they said it can last for 9 or 10 months in harsh weather but I think I will do it about every 6 months, fall and spring. I applied easy and came off easy and also I was able to treat all the black rubber surfaces and windows. I do not work for them I work for FCA and was offered a 40% discount to have the truck ceramic coated by them. I personally did not feel that spending 1000 plus dollars for a wax job was good for me and because the truck will never see the inside of a car wash, I can wax it myself. It really shines and it gets my old ass outside doing something.

PS we dont have dually car washes in Michigan or I would be tempted!!

Users who are viewing this thread