Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surround view backup cam with a camper...

sainthalo65

Reaction score
Ok I see. Plan to just wait and follow other threads on this subject and Navik’s too. Thanks for the insider info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Ok I see. Plan to just wait and follow other threads on this subject and Navik’s too. Thanks for the insider info.

No prob. I would say wise choice. I just got lucky and was able to return to dealer for a full refund w/o a restocking fee and it was a special order. I was more disappointed that I talked myself into buying it in the first place, should of let somebody else be the guinea pig :)

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Pardon my question here but I cant seem to find the pros and cons of the OEM trailer camera anywhere on the forums for those who have the factory wiring for it. Is it that the camera image is poor?, doesn’t have all the other options that other cameras offer? I’m not sure. Some reads are for the base hardwire install and then for a Ford camera. Can I be redirected if I’m missing this conversation somewhere else, it please explain it to me before I purchase the camera to place on my travel trailer. Thanks in advance

Terribly poor camera image considering the cost of the MOPAR setup.

The Ford camera is marginally better.

With some custom wiring, an aftermarket analog camera and better shielded wiring can be used to improve the image quality. @Phil T was probably one of the first to complete a build and posted his image in one of the threads.

GDBax47

Reaction score
When I had my '16 3500 Limited SRW, I had gathered the parts that came inside the tailgate and made a backup cam to be used when we had our camper on the truck. Sucks not being able to see behind you.
Well, with my new '20 3500 Limited DRW, the camera setup from the '16 will not work on the new truck. So I sourced parts from Ram and from an online vendor that sells a housing and cable that would allow me to retain the backup cam for the surround view when our camper is on the truck. I don't have it installed on the camper yet. Just got all the parts and tested it out. Works like a charm. Next time camper is on, I'll be routing the cable and mounting the camera and housing on the back of the camper.

I know there were options for when you ordered a new truck to get some kind of camera setup to work with a trailer. Since I didn't order my truck, I didn't want to go through all the sourcing for that setup. I have $350 into this setup and it'll work perfect for my needs. Can't wait to try it out with the camper on. I'll post more pics when that happens and I've got everything routed and attached. Here are a few pics of the views from just sitting on the tailgate and what it looks like plugged in. The 2 part numbers are the camera itself and the plastic filler plate that normally comes with our trucks to use when you remove your tailgate. I'll post up the location and part number for the housing and cable later.

View attachment 4844View attachment 4845View attachment 4846View attachment 4847View attachment 4848View attachment 4849
I have a 2019 DRW 3500, and I carry a Host Cascade truck camper in the bed which requires me to remove the tailgate. Like you, with my 2004 and 2012 Rams, I bought the tailgate camera "guts" and mounted a separate cam above the license plate. And like you, I found those parts don't work with the 2019. Do you have a truck camper or trailer. Did you mount your extra cam on the back of the camper or somewhere on the truck. The links you posted aren't opening, but it looks like two parts are from a Dodge retailer and the other form Camera Source...is that correct? Could use some detailed part numbers from them if you have a chance.
Thanks Greg

20Limited3500

Reaction score
I have a 2019 DRW 3500, and I carry a Host Cascade truck camper in the bed which requires me to remove the tailgate. Like you, with my 2004 and 2012 Rams, I bought the tailgate camera "guts" and mounted a separate cam above the license plate. And like you, I found those parts don't work with the 2019. Do you have a truck camper or trailer. Did you mount your extra cam on the back of the camper or somewhere on the truck. The links you posted aren't opening, but it looks like two parts are from a Dodge retailer and the other form Camera Source...is that correct? Could use some detailed part numbers from them if you have a chance.
Thanks Greg

See post #20 by RBarrett. He found a cheaper supplier for the cable and housing than I had found. As far as the part numbers go for the camera and such, I have those in my first post.

I mounted the camera on the back of our camper. You can see that in post #8.

Hope that helps.

GDBax47

Reaction score
See post #20 by RBarrett. He found a cheaper supplier for the cable and housing than I had found. As far as the part numbers go for the camera and such, I have those in my first post.

I mounted the camera on the back of our camper. You can see that in post #8.

Hope that helps.
Thanks so much.

sainthalo65

Reaction score
Well finally I see what you all are speaking about I’ve the same mine which is a hot connection to the bumper only. Do you think they put one in the bed and on bumper only to have owner to decide which one they use with either a TT or 5er? Anyway I digress here is my glamour shot lol

6bb9e1ef958d94c692ae005d7ce90774.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

heavyg603

Reaction score
When I had my '16 3500 Limited SRW, I had gathered the parts that came inside the tailgate and made a backup cam to be used when we had our camper on the truck. Sucks not being able to see behind you.
Well, with my new '20 3500 Limited DRW, the camera setup from the '16 will not work on the new truck. So I sourced parts from Ram and from an online vendor that sells a housing and cable that would allow me to retain the backup cam for the surround view when our camper is on the truck. I don't have it installed on the camper yet. Just got all the parts and tested it out. Works like a charm. Next time camper is on, I'll be routing the cable and mounting the camera and housing on the back of the camper.

I know there were options for when you ordered a new truck to get some kind of camera setup to work with a trailer. Since I didn't order my truck, I didn't want to go through all the sourcing for that setup. I have $350 into this setup and it'll work perfect for my needs. Can't wait to try it out with the camper on. I'll post more pics when that happens and I've got everything routed and attached. Here are a few pics of the views from just sitting on the tailgate and what it looks like plugged in. The 2 part numbers are the camera itself and the plastic filler plate that normally comes with our trucks to use when you remove your tailgate. I'll post up the location and part number for the housing and cable later.

View attachment 4844View attachment 4845View attachment 4846View attachment 4847View attachment 4848View attachment 4849
This is exactly what I'm trying to do on my 2020 3500 Tradesman when I put my tailgate sander on. Couple questions though. Can I leave the tailgate on with this solution ? Just not sure if the lock will still be functional, I'd ideally like to leave my tailgate on for the winter.

20Limited3500

Reaction score
This is exactly what I'm trying to do on my 2020 3500 Tradesman when I put my tailgate sander on. Couple questions though. Can I leave the tailgate on with this solution ? Just not sure if the lock will still be functional, I'd ideally like to leave my tailgate on for the winter.

If you have the 360 surround view on your tradesman, the camera line is separate from the wiring for the tailgate lock. But they both are attached to the same plate in the back of the bed below the tailgate. See attached image.

plate.jpg

Not sure what you mean by tailgate sander. If your tailgate is on during the winter, you wouldn't need this solution I would think as the you could easily use the camera in the tailgate.

heavyg603

Reaction score
It’s kind or a misnomer but the “tailgate “ sander actually attaches to the hitch and blocks the camera in the tailgate. I’m actually not sure if my camera is the 360 or not. It is the only camera I have so maybe no ?

20Limited3500

Reaction score
So it looks like this one https://camera-source.com/2019-ram-relocation-kit-for-factory-tailgate-camera-2395.html or this one, https://www.mnrelectronics.com/250-...ss-and-mounting-hardware-camera-not-included/ is for trucks without the 360 view (Tailgate only). Not sure what the difference is, the connector is the same.
If you only have 1 camera, then no, you don't have 360 view. Mine has 4 cameras (tailgate, both mirrors, front grille) plus one in the third brake light.

I don't know the difference in the cameras that are in my tailgate or yours as I only have mine to go by. And I agree, the cable looks very similar to mine in the links you provided. Maybe someone with more knowledge on the cameras can chime in.

heavyg603

Reaction score
If you only have 1 camera, then no, you don't have 360 view. Mine has 4 cameras (tailgate, both mirrors, front grille) plus one in the third brake light.

I don't know the difference in the cameras that are in my tailgate or yours as I only have mine to go by. And I agree, the cable looks very similar to mine in the links you provided. Maybe someone with more knowledge on the cameras can chime in.

Ah ok. The cameras themselves seem to be the same, or at least your camera part number matched mine. Here is a
(Poor) pic of my connection at the tailgate. There are two connectors here the one on the bottom appears to be the camera.
e8f5567888e76182dd4db99d09d88714.jpg

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Ah ok. The cameras themselves seem to be the same, or at least your camera part number matched mine. Here is a
(Poor) pic of my connection at the tailgate. There are two connectors here the one on the bottom appears to be the camera.
e8f5567888e76182dd4db99d09d88714.jpg

If you don’t have surround view, then you can’t have the same rear view camera part number as the one used on the surround view system. Camera on the left is the rear camera for a non surround view truck, vs the rear view camera on the right that is used on the surround view system-
eUnJDMF.jpg

Top is regular rear view camera, and bottom is surround view rear camera-
Zh019r6.jpg

They are very different in size. Rather than paying way more than you need to for a relocation kit, here’s the exact same type of extension cable needed- https://www.amazon.com/Bingfu-Exten...male+fakra+z&qid=1604548934&sr=8-3&th=1&psc=1
Then, just find a suitable cheap camera housing you can modify however you want to accept the camera.

heavyg603

Reaction score
If you don’t have surround view, then you can’t have the same rear view camera part number as the one used on the surround view system. Camera on the left is the rear camera for a non surround view truck, vs the rear view camera on the right that is used on the surround view system-
eUnJDMF.jpg

Top is regular rear view camera, and bottom is surround view rear camera-
Zh019r6.jpg

They are very different in size. Rather than paying way more than you need to for a relocation kit, here’s the exact same type of extension cable needed- https://www.amazon.com/Bingfu-Exten...male+fakra+z&qid=1604548934&sr=8-3&th=1&psc=1
Then, just find a suitable cheap camera housing you can modify however you want to accept the camera.

Oh wow that’s quite a bit different. I was going by the body builders guide from the Ram site. Appreciate the info. Just need a housing that will fit the camera now I guess.

heavyg603

Reaction score

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread