Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surround view backup cam with a camper...

20Limited3500

Reaction score
When I had my '16 3500 Limited SRW, I had gathered the parts that came inside the tailgate and made a backup cam to be used when we had our camper on the truck. Sucks not being able to see behind you.
Well, with my new '20 3500 Limited DRW, the camera setup from the '16 will not work on the new truck. So I sourced parts from Ram and from an online vendor that sells a housing and cable that would allow me to retain the backup cam for the surround view when our camper is on the truck. I don't have it installed on the camper yet. Just got all the parts and tested it out. Works like a charm. Next time camper is on, I'll be routing the cable and mounting the camera and housing on the back of the camper.

I know there were options for when you ordered a new truck to get some kind of camera setup to work with a trailer. Since I didn't order my truck, I didn't want to go through all the sourcing for that setup. I have $350 into this setup and it'll work perfect for my needs. Can't wait to try it out with the camper on. I'll post more pics when that happens and I've got everything routed and attached. Here are a few pics of the views from just sitting on the tailgate and what it looks like plugged in. The 2 part numbers are the camera itself and the plastic filler plate that normally comes with our trucks to use when you remove your tailgate. I'll post up the location and part number for the housing and cable later.

20200528_152420.jpg20200528_152425.jpg20200528_152448.jpg20200528_152458.jpg20200528_152816.jpg20200528_152911.jpg

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Ha! That's a much better looking image than the OEM....so basically an extension cord for the camera in the tailgate...briliant.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
When I had my '16 3500 Limited SRW, I had gathered the parts that came inside the tailgate and made a backup cam to be used when we had our camper on the truck. Sucks not being able to see behind you.
Well, with my new '20 3500 Limited DRW, the camera setup from the '16 will not work on the new truck. So I sourced parts from Ram and from an online vendor that sells a housing and cable that would allow me to retain the backup cam for the surround view when our camper is on the truck. I don't have it installed on the camper yet. Just got all the parts and tested it out. Works like a charm. Next time camper is on, I'll be routing the cable and mounting the camera and housing on the back of the camper.

I know there were options for when you ordered a new truck to get some kind of camera setup to work with a trailer. Since I didn't order my truck, I didn't want to go through all the sourcing for that setup. I have $350 into this setup and it'll work perfect for my needs. Can't wait to try it out with the camper on. I'll post more pics when that happens and I've got everything routed and attached. Here are a few pics of the views from just sitting on the tailgate and what it looks like plugged in. The 2 part numbers are the camera itself and the plastic filler plate that normally comes with our trucks to use when you remove your tailgate. I'll post up the location and part number for the housing and cable later.

View attachment 4844View attachment 4845View attachment 4846View attachment 4847View attachment 4848View attachment 4849

How's it look with 65' of wiring?

j/k.

So it's the Mopar tailgate cam mounted in an aftermarket housing and their cable?

Reported to be the same camera used in the trailer aux wiring camera kit.

20Limited3500

Reaction score
How's it look with 65' of wiring?

j/k.

So it's the Mopar tailgate cam mounted in an aftermarket housing and their cable?

Reported to be the same camera used in the trailer aux wiring camera kit.

Don't know about 65'. lol
Can't tow that long in my state anyways. My setup is geared more for a camper than a travel trailer or even your kind of towing.

Here is a link to the place I got the housing and cable from.
They do offer a setup with a factory camera. But their pricing for that is higher than if you bought the camera on your own by about $60 or so.

This is the setup I went with for mine.

My camera number I got by removing the tailgate latch and then pulling the camera out to read the number. That camera is used in the rear and both sides and maybe the front with the 360 surround view.
This is the place I got my camera from. Others have it for around the same price, too.

And this is the tailgate wiring connector plate.

ahhhr

Reaction score
Yeah - I gotta do something like this.
might. Just follow lead using the parts
thanks.

ahhhr

Reaction score
@20Limited3500
That relocation kit is a plastic housing and 14 ft of wire - or is there something else ?
Seems kinda steep for $200

20Limited3500

Reaction score
@20Limited3500
That relocation kit is a plastic housing and 14 ft of wire - or is there something else ?
Seems kinda steep for $200

It might be steep, but it's the only option I could find for my needs. They did all the R&D for making sure it fits the factory camera. I get it. But it is what it is.

hpc3

Reaction score
I finally got the camper back on my truck and was able to get the camera installed. Works great.

View attachment 5309 View attachment 5310
I like this... neat option. I'm researching the AUX camera kit now for use in our horse trailers but this could do the same I think. The only issue would be our need to view when moving forward. Right now I think the rear camera times out after ~10secs or so in motion. If I can figure out a way to override that with either option I'll get this underway. Thanks for the info.

RBarrett

Reaction score
I have this same camper setup with an 18 inch overhang beyond where may tailgate would be. I am wondering how well the surround system would stitch together the side views with the back camera view if it was that 18 inches further back. You don't notice it in the images here but there must be a pretty good overhang on that Fox but maybe not with that 8 foot bed. Any insight on this?

20Limited3500

Reaction score
I have this same camper setup with an 18 inch overhang beyond where may tailgate would be. I am wondering how well the surround system would stitch together the side views with the back camera view if it was that 18 inches further back. You don't notice it in the images here but there must be a pretty good overhang on that Fox but maybe not with that 8 foot bed. Any insight on this?

For me, I really was more worried about what was behind me than it stitching the view around it entirely. I think on mine, it does an OK job stitching the views together. You can see it in the pic I posted earlier in post #8 with the Top View. The camper was on at the time and you can see the front jacks just about center to the dually flares. Hope that helps.

RBarrett

Reaction score
Yes I agree what's behind you is our biggest blind spot with a truck camper. Your pictures looks like the overhead view is pretty darn good as well. My question is how much further back is your camper door from the tailgate camera location when your tailgate is on the truck. I assume you are further back with the camper. Also do you think that camera housing could be mounted with some type of double side trim tape instead of screws? I want to do just what you did but avoid any holes. Thanks for posting this great solution for us truck camper guys.

20Limited3500

Reaction score
I will have the camper back on the truck this Sunday. I will try to measure from the end of the bed to the back door where the camera is mounted.
I mounted mine with the double sided foam tape that came on the housing. I didn't use screws for it at this time. If the tape fails, I'll just get some 3M heavy-duty trim tape or something like that. Putting holes in the camper, isn't something I want to do if i don't have to.

20Limited3500

Reaction score
I measured things last night. From where I believe the bed ends under the camper, I am between 18-20" from there to the door. The camera is placed 54" from the driverside (didn't realize the door isn't centered on the camper) and 51-52" up from the main step (where the sewer waste hose goes into). Hope this makes sense and helps.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Don't know about 65'. lol
Can't tow that long in my state anyways. My setup is geared more for a camper than a travel trailer or even your kind of towing.

Here is a link to the place I got the housing and cable from.
They do offer a setup with a factory camera. But their pricing for that is higher than if you bought the camera on your own by about $60 or so.

This is the setup I went with for mine.

My camera number I got by removing the tailgate latch and then pulling the camera out to read the number. That camera is used in the rear and both sides and maybe the front with the 360 surround view.
This is the place I got my camera from. Others have it for around the same price, too.

And this is the tailgate wiring connector plate.
I leave my tailgate on and JUST open and close when loadng up fiver. How easy/ hard is it to just unplug tg cam and plug in aux cam for towing then un plug and plug back when not hauling? Where's it located, do you have to lay on ground, how long does it take?

20Limited3500

Reaction score
I leave my tailgate on and JUST open and close when loadng up fiver. How easy/ hard is it to just unplug tg cam and plug in aux cam for towing then un plug and plug back when not hauling? Where's it located, do you have to lay on ground, how long does it take?

The plus is located in center aft end of the bed. When you open your tailgate you can see the plate that the wiring form the tailgate goes into (see 4th pic above in my original post. It shows what you need to unplug). You should have received with your truck the dummy plate (P/N 68415000AA), if you will, that is used when removing the tailgate.
It takes all of about 1 min if that for me to unplug the plate. Your times may vary. I have done this a few times on the new truck and plenty of times on my previous '16. Try it to find out. If the wires fall into the whole when you unplug them from the plate, you might have to lay on the ground to put them back through the whole. But otherwise, should be no need to lay on the ground. Hope this helps. You really need to try to unplug it to see if it would work for your needs with the fiver. All I know is it works for my camper.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
The plus is located in center aft end of the bed. When you open your tailgate you can see the plate that the wiring form the tailgate goes into (see 4th pic above in my original post. It shows what you need to unplug). You should have received with your truck the dummy plate (P/N 68415000AA), if you will, that is used when removing the tailgate.
It takes all of about 1 min if that for me to unplug the plate. Your times may vary. I have done this a few times on the new truck and plenty of times on my previous '16. Try it to find out. If the wires fall into the whole when you unplug them from the plate, you might have to lay on the ground to put them back through the whole. But otherwise, should be no need to lay on the ground. Hope this helps. You really need to try to unplug it to see if it would work for your needs with the fiver. All I know is it works for my camper.
Ok, so it's the same set up they used on the 16 models. I had a 16 2500 6.7 short bed ram box that i constantly took the gate off of. Thanks for the heads up

20Limited3500

Reaction score
Ok, so it's the same set up they used on the 16 models. I had a 16 2500 6.7 short bed ram box that i constantly took the gate off of. Thanks for the heads up
The wiring is a little different from the '16, but essentially the same idea. Especially with the surround camera system.

RBarrett

Reaction score
I am doing exactly what 20Limited3500 has done on my camper. Got the same camera he did but I found a cheaper source for the housing. I puchased from mnrelectronics.com their part #250-8665. It was not listed on their website but after a phone call was told it was the correct housing for the 19-20 surround 360 application. It was $140 and looks exactly like the one used by 20Limited3500 above. It fits the camera perfectly and has the same 3M adhesive pad, cable and connectors ETC as the camera-source one. I think I will also buy the naviks unit to give me all cameras in motion with no 10 second time outs. Their $375 unit is expensive but looks pretty slick and also gives you full nav functions while in motion. Without that part the whole tailgate camera relocation thing to the back of my camper will be less than $300. Perfect solution for me!

Users who are viewing this thread