Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surround view backup cam with a camper...

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
So with a t-30 bit and a little sweet after Wally world with the wife, i got some pics for you all to figure out wiring diagrams of the back of the 12 pin camera plug so hopefully someone can design a plug in for us.
View attachment 6581View attachment 6582View attachment 6583View attachment 6584
Well, those are just all redundant wires from the 7 way trailer tow circuits. Not sure what the gray one would be. I thought the camera wires would be in that connector, and they would use up a minimum of 5 positions (signal, return, shield, power, and ground). Also, since the connector shape and pin layout is different from front to backside, I can’t tell what pins are what on the receptacle side without testing continuity on both sides. On the back side, 1= battery, 6= Backup lamp, 7= Park lamp, 9= Right stop/turn lamp, 10= ground, 11= Brake feed, and 12= Left stop/turn lamp.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, those are just all redundant wires from the 7 way trailer tow circuits. Not sure what the gray one would be. I thought the camera wires would be in that connector, and they would use up a minimum of 5 positions (signal, return, shield, power, and ground). Also, since the connector shape and pin layout is different from front to backside, I can’t tell what pins are what on the receptacle side without testing continuity on both sides. On the back side, 1= battery, 6= Backup lamp, 7= Park lamp, 9= Right stop/turn lamp, 10= ground, 11= Brake feed, and 12= Left stop/turn lamp.

@Phil T installed XFQ and may have some helpful info too...

I think we're going to need to get to this BODY connector. What we're seeing appears to just be "last mile" wiring.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Wah wah wah, well that was a disappointment.:(

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
@Phil T installed XFQ and may have some helpful info too...

I think we're going to need to get to this BODY connector. What we're seeing appears to just be "last mile" wiring.

It will be interesting to see what's there.

I'll check the cap on the bumper cable too just to be certain it's only a cap and the cable isn't connected to anything. It's possible there's a Y hiding somewhere and they have a jumper installed.

It's just been hotter'n hell here and was 96F today. Crawling around on the concrete in this heat when there's enough light to get good images kinda sucks.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score

I'll check the cap on the bumper cable too just to be certain it's only a cap and the cable isn't connected to anything. It's possible there's a Y hiding somewhere and they have a jumper installed.

It's just been hotter'n hell here and was 96F today. Crawling around on the concrete in this heat when there's enough light to get good images kinda sucks.
9cacb0f.jpg

Can you put this cluster of connectors in perspective for me and point out in the composites below their general location?
jBZGFea.jpg
93e7z4C.jpg

This is the layout of the aux 1 camera in the 12 way receptacle. The shield is irrelevant to an aftermarket camera. I’d imagine three other spots are designated for the aux 2 camera-
LcYd45c.jpg

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score

That's exactly how I was. My wife came out and was like what are doing, it's nearly 100 out here. As i was trying to get picks and using my bakflip as a sun blocker. I will remind us all that when i did have the aux mopar camera, when i plugged it into the inside bed receptacle, it worked and when i plugged it into the bumper it did not.
Jimmy & brutal, we got some great specs up. Somebody will get this figured out.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you put this cluster of connectors in perspective for me and point out in the composites below their general location?

1597820080360.png
This is the layout of the aux 1 camera in the 12 way receptacle. The shield is irrelevant to an aftermarket camera. I’d imagine three other spots are designated for the aux 2 camera-
LcYd45c.jpg

The XFQ wiring isn't shown on your composites.

I found the image @Phil T posted of the bumper connections he used while testing (I think).

1597816357812.png

I rotated this and changed the notation, maybe it will provide a better visual of the location. I'll try to get a zoomed out image when I get the other wiring colors.

2020-08-19 00_39_01-frame connectors (Large).jpg

mlink

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the NAVIKS solution shown here yet? It sounds like the "no delay" solution everyone is looking for. Signal-activated side cameras a bonus!
Any downsides discovered yet?
Can anyone upload the install manual?

Last edited:

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the NAVIKS solution shown here yet? It sounds like the "no delay" solution everyone is looking for. Signal-activated side cameras a bonus!
Any downsides discovered yet?
Can anyone upload the install manual?
I haven't as I'm still waiting for navik to get back with me. I pressured them on what was the difference in the $250 vs the $ 375 version and they told me to send them a picture of every camera screen picture on my 12" surround view u connect, wich I did, and they haven't gotten back with me since. Guess they don't want to sell the $250 version. I'm personnely not spending $400+ , that just adds insult to injury for me. I guess I'm to damn cheap. I just look at it as we spent $2000 for a 12" u connect and another $400 for the technology to add an extra camera. Then after that you have to spend $600 on a junk camera. Thats already $2000, now we got to do another $400. I'm beaching I know, but I'm over spending on something trying to make it work the way it should of come from the git go. Just my views

mlink

Reaction score
$375 seems reasonable to gain the full-time cameras and the turn signal activation once & for all. Picture the amount of work that went into those devices.

In fact, I feel a lot better now after someone here discovered the solution and we all gained the option to "throw money at the problem" if that's what you want - when it was really starting to seem kind of hopeless.

Whenever I need to invest $375 or more on something as functional as this, I buy it anyway (maybe skip a fancy dinner or two) because I know that even if it were twice as expensive, the solution would be working on me every time I was towing. Besides, one close-call lane-change or backing into something solid would have me dialing the phone ready to overpay after the fact...

Surrender Rich... and then you can enjoy your self-indulgence for years to come. :)

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
$375 seems reasonable to gain the full-time cameras and the turn signal activation once & for all. Picture the amount of work that went into those devices.

In fact, I feel a lot better now after someone here discovered the solution and we all gained the option to "throw money at the problem" if that's what you want - when it was really starting to seem kind of hopeless.

Whenever I need to invest $375 or more on something as functional as this, I buy it anyway (maybe skip a fancy dinner or two) because I know that even if it were twice as expensive, the solution would be working on me every time I was towing. Besides, one close-call lane-change or backing into something solid would have me dialing the phone ready to overpay after the fact...

Surrender Rich... and then you can enjoy your self-indulgence for years to come. :)

Yup, cheaper than my deductibles.

That said, I have a few questions for NAVIK after reading a similar (Ford truck) thread on a Grand Design forum.

I'm not going to clutter this thread with the rest of my reply, you can read it over on the new Always on Camera Solution thread I started.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score

I know, your right, but I'm gonna still beach about it, makes me feal better. You said that with the naviks that the turn signal cameras will come on automatically when you use the turn signals. Or did i read to much into your comment and where you got your information, was it reputable. Will it do it on its own based on there software design our do you have to hook up to alpha obd and reprogram it. Thanks for your help. Just frustrated, 85k truck and still need to add 5k of goodies to make it perfect . Define perfect right.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
My bad for rambling, feal free to reply on the thread were brutal went to on always on camera solution so I dont get in trouble for high jacking. Thanks

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

@Jimmy07

I finally had a chance to crawl under the truck and get a pic of the camera body harness.

Here's the 12-pin Aux camera cable coming from the truck body. It's the same color scheme that I posted on the others.

This is not the trailer tow/signal wiring, it's the 12-pin AUX1 and AUX2 camera wiring header. Maybe there's a connection further up but this is all I can currently access. This is on a 2020. They may have used similar color wires to what we find on a 7-pin trailer harness, but it's without a doubt going to the 12-pin camera connector.

20200906_144312 (2).jpg

20200906_144349 (2).jpg

mlink

Reaction score
Brutal. I have found the same.
As matter of fact, on a '20, here are the pin assignments of the 12-pin connector:

Pin 1 (Red) is common power (Aux #1, Aux #2)
Pin 2 (Open)
Pin 3 (Open)
Pin 4 (Open)
Pin 5 (Open)
Pin 6 (Black) is common ground (Aux #1, Aux #2)
Pin 7 (Brown) is Aux Camera #2
Pin 8 (Grey) is Aux Camera #1 Shield
Pin 9 (Green) is Aux Camera #1 Signal
Pin 10 (White) is Aux Camera #1 Return
Pin 11 (Blue) is Aux Camera #2
Pin 12 (Yellow) is Aux Camera #2

The above is for 2019 w/XFQ Camera Prep Kit installed (factory option or retrofit) and matched up to the 12-pin connector harness in the 2019 Single Aux Camera Kit 82215770AB.
This also matches up Aux #1 part 12-pin connector on the 2020 XFQ Camera Prep Option using the above 2019 Single Aux Camera Kit: 82215770AB.

Sorry, but I can't verify Aux #2 assignments in more detail until I receive the dual camera splitter harness from the 2020 Dual Aux Camera kit: 82216068AB.

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
As matter of fact, on a '20, here are the pin assignments: of the 12-pin connector:

Pin 2 (Open)
Pin 3 (Open)
Pin 4 (Open)
Pin 5 (Open)
Pin 6 (Black) is common ground (Aux #1, Aux #2),

The above is for 2019 w/XFQ Camera Prep Kit installed (factory option or retrofit) and matched up to the 12-pin connector harness in the 2019 Single Aux Camera Kit 82215770AB.
This also matches up Aux #1 part 12-pin connector on the 2020 XFQ Camera Prep Option using the above 2019 Single Aux Camera Kit: 82215770AB.

Sorry, but I can't verify Aux #2 assignments in more detail until I receive the dual camera splitter harness from the 2020 Dual Aux Camera kit: 82216068AB.

Thanks,

I'm just going to mod the Ford lead harness like @Phil T did.

Ordered one for $125 shipped. I'll build a cable setup using Siamese RG6 (agree with Phil on better SQ and better noise rejection) and use a quality Sony UCCD NV capable low lux camera. My needs are a bit more specific in that I require a 90* or better vertical view (150* diagonal) to see my hitch and the horizon (see over my boat). I had a 15 year old Alpine camera on my old rig that was 100* vertical (170* diagonal). The typical 130* diagonal camera just doesn't' cut it with only a 70* vertical view angle.

Last edited:

Phil T

Reaction score
As matter of fact, on a '20, here are the pin assignments: of the 12-pin connector:

Pin 2 (Open)
Pin 3 (Open)
Pin 4 (Open)
Pin 5 (Open)
Pin 6 (Black) is common ground (Aux #1, Aux #2),

Can you find out where the two aux2 wires plug into the block in the dash? The cover is on the left side of the dash.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I just got of the phone with Bryan at Nichols manufacturing. Real nice guy, gave me lots of info. He's working with a guy in Florida that's creating this plug in for the ram 12 pin from the ford camera. He has all the schematics and told me to check back in a wk or so, that they are actively working on it and hope that its not to much longer. He was asking about my ttpms on the ram and if I've had any problems picking up a signal on a long trailer. I expressed I have not with my 35' fiver but everybody that I talk to can't get a signal on pretty much anything over 35'. I also told him everyone is trying to figure out how to move the ttpms reciever from the truck to there trailer for a better signal. Bryan said ok, what we will do is the main 12 pin lead that we plug into our bed will be somewhere around 10', and at that point where you can plug in your camera there will also be a plug in for our ttpms receiver so we can mount it just under the front of rv to get a better signal. Told him that would be perfect. I then asked if his harness was going to be capable of 1 camera or two. He said well it's being built off the ford system and that they only use 1 trailer camera. I told him ours have a 2 camera option on the u connect were you can toggle between two different trailer cameras. He said ok, we can add that in as well so it has two camera ports and the ttpms port. I told him that would be perfect. We then talked about the junk mopar system and how much better the ferd cam kit quality is. He asked me if I was going to buy the whole ferd kit. I told him I really just wanting the main lead that you plug in to bed with the camera ports and ttpms port and asked for a round about cost that they might charge us just for the main lead as I was going to but my own single strand coax with a high end camera . He said ford charges around $400 for there whole kit so ours for the ram would probably be around $500 with the second cam and ttpms additions but that ouf just wanted the main lead that it would probably be around $180. I told him sounds good and I'm excited to do buisness and ill pass the word because there will be others to follow and some who will buy the whole kit. He said sounds good just know that because this is being set up off of the ford system that the cam ports for coax would be the 4 plug in type so if i didn't go the ferd kit route that i would need to splice my own at that point.

sainthalo65

Reaction score
Pardon my question here but I cant seem to find the pros and cons of the OEM trailer camera anywhere on the forums for those who have the factory wiring for it. Is it that the camera image is poor?, doesn’t have all the other options that other cameras offer? I’m not sure. Some reads are for the base hardwire install and then for a Ford camera. Can I be redirected if I’m missing this conversation somewhere else, it please explain it to me before I purchase the camera to place on my travel trailer. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I put
Pardon my question here but I cant seem to find the pros and cons of the OEM trailer camera anywhere on the forums for those who have the factory wiring for it. Is it that the camera image is poor?, doesn’t have all the other options that other cameras offer? I’m not sure. Some reads are for the base hardwire install and then for a Ford camera. Can I be redirected if I’m missing this conversation somewhere else, it please explain it to me before I purchase the camera to place on my travel trailer. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I actually purchased it and returned it. The camera is very poor quality, even when plugged into port without all the extensions. You get 40+' of cabling wich is very big harnesses and the connections between all 4 sections are big connector ends. Imop, i laid it all out on my fiver ., i like to keep a clean look and i could not stand these huge wires all over my rig, to me it looked rigged and junked up. Now a person can try to figure a way to drill and run wire internal but that's not something i am willing to do on my fiver. Of coarse the worst part is as I'm sure you know by now is that currently when you push the aux cam button on your u connect, the cam will only stay on for 10 seconds, to me this negated the whole purpose of the rear view trailer cam. We do have another thread were a solution from naviks is being tested to trick the system into always thinking it's zero mph so the cam would stay on while your driving. There is a potential group buy in the works for that technology witch is currently being tested by @RBarrett . Everyone's application is different but I already paid $400 from factory to just have the technology on my truck for 2 aux cam. I could not stomach the $600 Price tag on a poor camera image and monster wires dripping all over my fiver. When they get the travel with cam technology figured out I will get that and buy my own high end camera and a long single stand of rg6 for best quality. It's a whole thing. To bad 85k truck didn't come loaded, that you have to invest more into it

Users who are viewing this thread