Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surround Camera Install on a 2019 2500 Laramie

rfullen280

Reaction score
Hello! I've put Uconnect 5 12" into my 2021 Ram 2500 that had a UC4 12". I put in the new CVPM ... and all the cameras work, but I can't get the CVPM Calibration to work. Specifically, I get an error with the process for the "rear" camera, I think...but it may be the CHMSL (which has popped error codes). See screenshots...

The Down arrow goes Red, but all the others go Green.

The codes can be cleared, but they come right back immediately...but when I clear them, the surround view goes live for about a half second.

Ideas?

(PS, I made sure all my settings match the ones listed up above...)

I've spent a few hours driving between 2 and 8 mph on country roads... so, I'm stumped.
IMG_7038.jpegIMG_7035.jpegIMG_7034.jpeg

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Hello! I've put Uconnect 5 12" into my 2021 Ram 2500 that had a UC4 12". I put in the new CVPM ... and all the cameras work, but I can't get the CVPM Calibration to work. Specifically, I get an error with the process for the "rear" camera, I think...but it may be the CHMSL (which has popped error codes). See screenshots...

The Down arrow goes Red, but all the others go Green.

The codes can be cleared, but they come right back immediately...but when I clear them, the surround view goes live for about a half second.

Ideas?

(PS, I made sure all my settings match the ones listed up above...)

I've spent a few hours driving between 2 and 8 mph on country roads... so, I'm stumped.
View attachment 67976View attachment 67977View attachment 67978
The cargo camera can’t be calibrated with alfaobd, and it wouldn’t be causing your issues. It’s the B2286 fault that is stopping the overhead surround view from showing. It means one or more of the 4 surround cameras aren’t calibrated yet (front, rear, left, or right).
It looks like from the pic, the front and left were successfull, the right is in progress, and the rear failed? If so, run the option to calibrate the individual cameras, and keep trying. Also, the white-out snow all around isn’t helping. Ideally, the cameras are wanting to see different things like in a parking lot environment- parking lines, lane lines, cars, objects, etc. It needs to have definitive objects to go off of to get the stitching correct between the cameras.

rfullen280

Reaction score
The cargo camera can’t be calibrated with alfaobd, and it wouldn’t be causing your issues. It’s the B2286 fault that is stopping the overhead surround view from showing. It means one or more of the 4 surround cameras aren’t calibrated yet (front, rear, left, or right).
It looks like from the pic, the front and left were successfull, the right is in progress, and the rear failed? If so, run the option to calibrate the individual cameras, and keep trying. Also, the white-out snow all around isn’t helping. Ideally, the cameras are wanting to see different things like in a parking lot environment- parking lines, lane lines, cars, objects, etc. It needs to have definitive objects to go off of to get the stitching correct between the cameras.
i'm gonna slap my own forehead... the snow was definitely not ideal. Supposed to melt away a bit next week, i'll give'er a go then. The arrow pic is not really accurate, but it's always a "red" for the down arrow. The other seem to be fine. So, in Alfa, just roll the "Radio->CVPM Service->Enforced"?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
i'm gonna slap my own forehead... the snow was definitely not ideal. Supposed to melt away a bit next week, i'll give'er a go then. The arrow pic is not really accurate, but it's always a "red" for the down arrow. The other seem to be fine. So, in Alfa, just roll the "Radio->CVPM Service->Enforced"?
No, not enforced, try CVPM Service Calibration > front camera only, left camera only, rear camera only, and right camera only.

rfullen280

Reaction score
No, not enforced, try CVPM Service Calibration > front camera only, left camera only, rear camera only, and right camera only.
Gotcha. Was getting an error that way. Sequence error. But I tried rear only. So I'll do the order again next time.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Gotcha. Was getting an error that way. Sequence error. But I tried rear only. So I'll do the order again next time.
I would get that sometimes too. I think I ended up getting everything set up to the point where you choose the camera, start driving, THEN click start calibration. Main thing is to just keep trying, it’s a finicky process. Once one of the cameras successfully calibrates, don’t go back to that camera for calibration anymore.

rfullen280

Reaction score
I would get that sometimes too. I think I ended up getting everything set up to the point where you choose the camera, start driving, THEN click start calibration. Main thing is to just keep trying, it’s a finicky process. Once one of the cameras successfully calibrates, don’t go back to that camera for calibration anymore.
Now this is part of a UC5 retrofit to my 21 HD…. Any idea why the ESC Off button (next to the Hazard) doesn’t work anymore? Is it something missing, maybe a wire, in the adapter harness? I don’t have diagrams, or I’d look. The Lane Sense button and Hazard buttons work as advertised.

Maybe I should get the UC4 to UC5 adapter harness from you?

rfullen280

Reaction score
Okay, Front, Left, Right calibrated.. still gotta get Rear. I have a flatbed with the camera reattached, so I'm wondering if the angle is wrong causing it to fail. Will go to a dealer lot, make some measurements on where it should be, rig it up on a boom, and try again. Snapped this shot as I "cleared" the codes from the CVPM - and it looks like it tapers in a bit, so probably needs to point "up" some more to remove the fisheye.IMG_7046.jpeg

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Now this is part of a UC5 retrofit to my 21 HD…. Any idea why the ESC Off button (next to the Hazard) doesn’t work anymore? Is it something missing, maybe a wire, in the adapter harness? I don’t have diagrams, or I’d look. The Lane Sense button and Hazard buttons work as advertised.

Maybe I should get the UC4 to UC5 adapter harness from you?
What’s the part number of the screen?

rfullen280

Reaction score
What’s the part number of the screen?
I got it from a company with Tayne in their name
Here's a picture of the labels off of both units. And apparently I need a second adapter connector to get the radio antenna to work. I'm not even sure which wire the radio antenna is.

Which unit is connected to a magenta wire directly under the center of the dash? And then which wire number goes from the dash to the radio antenna wherever that is?

Attachments

• IMG_7048.jpeg
    IMG_7048.jpeg
    615.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7047.jpeg
    IMG_7047.jpeg
    749.7 KB · Views: 7

rfullen280

Reaction score
Here's a picture of the labels off of both units. And apparently I need a second adapter connector to get the radio antenna to work. I'm not even sure which wire the radio antenna is.

Which unit is connected to a magenta wire directly under the center of the dash? And then which wire number goes from the dash to the radio antenna wherever that is?
Here's a picture of all of the connectors I have left over.

Attachments

• IMG_7053.jpeg
    IMG_7053.jpeg
    328.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7052.jpeg
    IMG_7052.jpeg
    319.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7051.jpeg
    IMG_7051.jpeg
    284.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7050.jpeg
    IMG_7050.jpeg
    361 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7049.jpeg
    IMG_7049.jpeg
    360.9 KB · Views: 8

Jimmy07

Reaction score

That screen is for a 1500. The button that you think is traction control/esc, is actually the parallel and perpendicular park button for the 1500 semi-auto park assist feature.
This is the screen part number that you need- 68526611AB.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Here's a picture of all of the connectors I have left over.
Pic 1 (pink)- not used anymore. That’s cellular, and the UC5 radio module doesn’t have connectivity.

Pic 2 (white)- am/fm radio antenna- to be plugged into the white port to the right of the blue one (see my pic below).

Pic 3 (white)- your original LVDS cable, no longer used. This links the radio module to the screen, and there should be a different one included with the kit you got that you should be using.

Pic 4 (green)- Bluetooth antenna- no longer needed.

Pic 5 (mustard)- this is the gps/xm radio antenna, and it plugs into the blue port on the radio module via a short adapter that should have been included with the kit.
IMG_2492.jpeg

rfullen280

Reaction score
That screen is for a 1500. The button that you think is traction control/esc, is actually the parallel and perpendicular park button for the 1500 semi-auto park assist feature.
This is the screen part number that you need- 68526611AB.
Dang. So the "radio" module I have will work, just need the new screen/bezel assy? Can't swap the screen into the old bezel eh? bummer. Dumb question - but do you have a part number for the grey block connector that goes into the back of the screen - my locking tab ...doesn't.

Last edited:

Caleyvtwin

Reaction score
I’m working on getting my cameras installed. Would it be possible for someone to post a step by step on the calibration including starting from the beginning with AlfaOBD and do I need to do anything to activate the light on the CHMSL?

rfullen280

Reaction score
I’m working on getting my cameras installed. Would it be possible for someone to post a step by step on the calibration including starting from the beginning with AlfaOBD and do I need to do anything to activate the light on the CHMSL?
I'm gonna help as best as I can - heres's some settings you've gotta do in ALFA - These are under the Body Computer - when you install a CVPM (Central Vision Processing Module) it takes control of the cameras...instead of the BCM (from what I can figure).

Screenshot 2024-01-13 at 4.25.12 PM.jpg

rfullen280

Reaction score
When it comes time to Calibrate the cameras - that setting is (from the start page in Alfa) in the Radio module, then you select CVPM... (see pic), then switch to the active diagnostic tab, select the options I have in the pic. On your radio, select surround cameras - then start driving at approx 2-8 mph.. then press Start on the test... Your screeen will go green and show a series of arrows, a speedometer, and a steering wheel.. be patient, it takes a minute of driving... Do each camera in sequence. You migh thave to Disconnect/Connect from the CVPM each time.Screenshot 2024-01-20 at 9.53.46 AM.jpgScreenshot 2024-01-20 at 9.54.25 AM.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread