Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CdnHO

Reaction score
I would try to get a real world pin weight from other owners of the same model before deciding, but 5th wheel is typically 18-22% of the GVWR when loaded. You can crunch the numbers from the empty weight+your expected load in the trailer too but most people underestimate how much stuff they haul around.
You got that right. I estimated my pin weight at 5000 thinking I was overestimating. After leaving on a recent trip I ran the rig over the CAT scale. I had done the truck earlier. After crunching the numbers my pin came to 5700. I was surprised. No question about the dually.

Nick

Reaction score
I had a 14 3500 mega cab short bed SRW towed 15 k all over the country for years . Never a problem in heavy crosswinds and rain . I have a 20 long bed now and still tow the same trailer. Get the HO with the Aisin tranny much better for heavy towing . The 68 rfe would really heat up in stop and go traffic on a hot day . It is still working though with close to a hundred k and about 50 k miles of towing

MEGA HO

Reaction score
My HO mega cab has around 3850# payload. As someone else said, try to find out from other owners of the same FW the real pin weight numbers and go from there.
I DD my truck in all seasons except winter and wouldn't want to have a dually.

BigDaveTX

Reaction score
I had to consider the everyday drive and went with a 2500 SRW. At that time I was towing a TT and it did it with a breeze. We decided to go to a 5er so I had to look at payload and with that pin weight. The 2500 CTD 4WD really limited my pin weight so I found a rig with a small enough pin wight that allowed me to have both of us and some extras (a chair or two, etc.). Payload and pin weight, IMHO, is what make the whole thing go. My Cougar 316RLS fit the bill and the rig is awesome and pulls like a dream. Across west Texas it will go faster than I want to go!

JCL3139

Reaction score
I chose DRW because I did not want to be truck capped on the kind of 5th wheels we may get. We ended up with a riverstone that is north of 16k so I’m glad I did. I do daily drive my DRW with no issues. Drive thrus, parking, it has all worked out. Now if I know I’m going somewhere where it would be tough, we just take the wife’s Bronco.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I chose DRW because I did not want to be truck capped on the kind of 5th wheels we may get. We ended up with a riverstone that is north of 16k so I’m glad I did. I do daily drive my DRW with no issues. Drive thrus, parking, it has all worked out. Now if I know I’m going somewhere where it would be tough, we just take the wife’s Bronco.

Funny you mention the drive thru's.. I just recently starting doing that with my DRW and it actually fits in places I did not think it would.

BigDaveTX

Reaction score
I get that I may be in the minority here but I'm very happy with the power, pulling power and driveability of my SRW. If I still had my TT it would be the absolute bomb. I'm at the low end of 5th wheel rigs and it's an excellent solution for me. Obviously if your needs are for a big 5er then DRW is the way to go. I'm just saying there's a place for SRW with all of the smaller footprint issues that it helps with, driveability, garage/driveway, cost etc. To each his own, just consider all of your requirements to make the best choice.

JCL3139

Reaction score
I agree with that, I thought long and hard over which to get myself and I’m not In a city so it’s easier for me with the DRW.

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
Close... Mine's a Mega. Sure wish I could have ordered the mega cab AND the long bed! Would be the ultimate tow machine.

I mean at this point what's another 2 feet right? That's the combo I'd have too if it were available...they'd definitely need the wider tighter turning front axle tho....

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Close... Mine's a Mega. Sure wish I could have ordered the mega cab AND the long bed! Would be the ultimate tow machine.

Same here, I would have ordered mega long bed instead.
RAM already has longer wheel base chassis in cab and chassis trucks. Cabs are the same, just may need a different style box

Users who are viewing this thread