Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soft Brakes - weak brakes - sponge brakes 2021 3500 - merged threads

jeffn

Reaction score
Note that I dumped the 2019 2500HD for a 21 3500HD dually. The brake pedal is massively different, very firm, and his right at the top of the travel every time. It may be a hit or miss, or maybe the dually has different parts that equate to a much better feeling brake pedal.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
model year difference more likely. I have a 2020 3500 DRW and the pedal is far from firm, definitely not at the top.

note also going from a 2500 to a 3500 is apples to oranges

Lary0071

Reaction score
model year difference more likely. I have a 2020 3500 DRW and the pedal is far from firm, definitely not at the top.

note also going from a 2500 to a 3500 is apples to oranges
Are you saying that the brakes differ from a 2500 vs a 3500? I know that back when I had my super duty the calipers/rotors/pads were all identical.

jeffn

Reaction score
Are you saying that the brakes differ from a 2500 vs a 3500? I know that back when I had my super duty the calipers/rotors/pads were all identical.

the rotors and calipers are the same. I assume the other brake system components are also the same parts. The curb weight is also pretty much the same. I really wonder what the effect of the coil rear suspension is because a lot of brake feel is actually weight transfer, not limited to the rear suspension unloading. We also don’t know how the different models are configured in the software for all the previously mentioned systems that impact brake feel.

copcarguy

Reaction score
My ‘21 3500 CC LB SRW 4x4 has horrible pedal feel, lots of pedal travel before anything happens, and is far from confidence inspiring.

I launched my boat last week on a very steep ramp that was slimy. I had the truck in 4x2 and the limited slip took care of it. When we were coming out of the water it was low tide and I had the truck and trailer even more down the ramp. Our “procedure” is I back up the empty trailer, get out and put the boat on the trailer, stay in the boat, and my wife pulls the rig out straight off the ramp. I put the truck in 4LOW as I didn’t want wheelspin. I told my wife to pull out slow as it was slippery. When we reached the top of the ramp the truck wasn’t stopping and she began yelling “the brakes aren’t strong enough!” I yelled to put it in neutral and then she was able to stop it and put it in park. She won’t drive the new truck now.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Rotor size is dictated by wheel size, the 3500 dually has 17” wheels. The rotor is a paltry 360mm. RAM could increase the number of pistons in the caliper but that is just one factor of braking performance and in the end increasing rotor size is where the biggest gain will come. Increase the factory wheel size and larger OEM brakes would follow. I don’t see the brakes as a problem on this model but they could be a lot better.

To put rotor size into perspective, my wife’s car has 440mm rotors with 10 piston calipers, and it weighs half as much as my truck. It is a performance luxury car, to be fair to RAM, but that is how big brake sytems are coming these days.

While not significantly larger, the MAX Tow package on the dually has 365mm rear rotors.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
My ‘21 3500 CC LB SRW 4x4 has horrible pedal feel, lots of pedal travel before anything happens, and is far from confidence inspiring.

I launched my boat last week on a very steep ramp that was slimy. I had the truck in 4x2 and the limited slip took care of it. When we were coming out of the water it was low tide and I had the truck and trailer even more down the ramp. Our “procedure” is I back up the empty trailer, get out and put the boat on the trailer, stay in the boat, and my wife pulls the rig out straight off the ramp. I put the truck in 4LOW as I didn’t want wheelspin. I told my wife to pull out slow as it was slippery. When we reached the top of the ramp the truck wasn’t stopping and she began yelling “the brakes aren’t strong enough!” I yelled to put it in neutral and then she was able to stop it and put it in park. She won’t drive the new truck now.

My truck has no issue holding in 4-LO.

I used it at a steep ramp a few weeks ago and the wife had no issues as well.

jeffn

Reaction score
While not significantly larger, the MAX Tow package on the dually has 365mm rear rotors.
wheel size… there is only so much diameter to work with. Rotor diameter + caliper + clearance + wheel thickness adds up.

Cseybert

Reaction score
I read somewhere. Maybe in the manual Exhaust brake should not be used all the time.

Bigrj66

Reaction score
I went from 19 1500 Bighorn to a 20’ 2500 tradesman w/6.4. Brakes are night and day. The 1500 would throw you in the windshield if I pressed the pedal the way I have to in the 2500. I had dealer check them out and they said everything is good. I just feel Leary about the amount of pedal travel required to stop. It works fine, even when towing my 11k 5’er. But some unnecessary angst when hitting the pedal a little and haveing to bear down on the pedal a little more.

Savage99ss

Reaction score
why lol? Having the exhaust brake engaged ensures the full travel is used to keep soot from building up

Rockwell

Reaction score
2013/2016/2021 ram 3500 drw ho’s, all brake pedals feel the same. Under a severe panic stop the pedal traveled on all of them.

Ram911

Reaction score
Noticed this as well on my 2021 6.7. Drove off the lot and the brakes felt very responsive. Drove around a couple days and thought I glazed them.
I guess its normal to have to apply some pressure on these trucks. Seems to stop well if you push pretty hard.

CJTEX

Just came here to flex
Reaction score
I'm screwed coming from an Audi RS with 8 piston brakes. You guys will see me in the news with a run away power wagon.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Note that I dumped the 2019 2500HD for a 21 3500HD dually. The brake pedal is massively different, very firm, and his right at the top of the travel every time. It may be a hit or miss, or maybe the dually has different parts that equate to a much better feeling brake pedal.

Similar experience here. My 2016 2500 cummins had the "spongy" brake pedal feel. Our new 2021 DRW 3500 has a firm pedal right at the top. It feels good.

Firewall

Reaction score
Interesting - my 2018 3500 had a very firm pedal. Took it in last week due to an anti lock brake warning on the dash. They replaced the hydraulic pump and I now have a noticeably softer pedal.

Users who are viewing this thread