Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soft Brakes - weak brakes - sponge brakes 2021 3500 - merged threads

Birton

Reaction score
I now have 600miles on my new 2021 3500 HO Long Bed. In general I'm extremely happy BUT the brakes seem a bit soft? i.e. have to push the peddle approx. halfway to start feeling any action.

The brakes in my previous 2008 3500 SO Short bed seemed more aggressive.

Is this normal for the new trucks?

Probably needs to go back to the dealer to check it out.

TIA

farmallboy

Stump Killer
Reaction score
As a follow up. I'll say my trade in 03 Silverado was much more firm. It was about the only thing it did right when I traded haha. But

Yeah. Brakes have always dissatisfied me on this truck. Before I started working from home, I drove the daily all week and then truck on weekends. Differences in brakes from a Prius to a 2500 ram had me running a couple stop signs. I have tried to transition into more of a grandpa drive style now.

MegaDave

Reaction score
I notified that too on my 19 2500. You really have to step on them. I figured just something I have to get used to. Anyone replace the pads and see a large improvement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cpsram21

Reaction score
To me my 2020 3500 and my 2021 3500 are soft at the pedal compared to my 2006 2500 duramax. But i think its just all the safety power assist stuff these new trucks have on them because i had a car pull out in front of me the other day and i jumped on the brakes hard and it stopped in a very short distance . I would say even though this weighs more then my 2500 gmc it stopped way quicker then the gmc.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
^^ He's right ^^

They all "feel" soft. It's all the Nanny stuff.

1620456987951.png

ETA: A related post from another conversation

Many owners complain about a soft brake pedal feel on the HD's. That said, I know that speed of pedal application increases the perceived and actual stopping power.

Something I've also noticed is that when ACC is running, using the brake always seems to result in an extremely stiff pedal feel.

Is there something going on there like increased pressure in the hydro assist when ACC is active?

Yes, when ACC is active, the DASM requests the abs module to prefill the brakes, so the pads are closer to the rotors for quick response time.

https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?...-operation-from-2019-to-2022.7579/post-142134

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
As a follow up. I'll say my trade in 03 Silverado was much more firm. It was about the only thing it did right when I traded haha. But

Yeah. Brakes have always dissatisfied me on this truck. Before I started working from home, I drove the daily all week and then truck on weekends. Differences in brakes from a Prius to a 2500 ram had me running a couple stop signs. I have tried to transition into more of a grandpa drive style now.

A 3,000lb econobox vs a 8,000 HD truck. ;)

Nd79

Reaction score
I'm sorry but this just made my day!

Side note this was my first new truck. I have found so many of those blue chalk marks lol. And when I ran coax for my ham radio.....I found an actual chalk marker under a rear kick plate lol

Haha, I keep finding new "blue marks" on mine as well. My brakes I've noticed are softer feeling than our older 3500 as well, but I have got used to them already and they always stop well. It's good to know why!

THC1

Reaction score
I have a 21 Laramie Crew 4x4 w/ 4:10 gears. I immediately noticed the brakes respond differently on this vehicle coming from my GMC HD 1500. It just seems like I have to use a lot of pedal. Maybe it's just the larger size of the truck v. my previous experience. This is my first 3/4 ton. Hopefully it's just me but thought I would post for opinions from others.

Greenhills

Reaction score
Its normal. This truck weighs almost 3,000 lbs more than your GMC. Sometime when your on an empty road, stomp on the brakes. You will find it stops as quickly as you would expect. The brake pedal just has a vague feeling and requires more pedal to accomplish the same result.

revjvegas

Reaction score
Glad it's not just me :)
I went from a F150 to this 2500 4x4 and my first thought was you really have to put the pressure down to get that sucker to stop. Kinda figured it was just going to be a learning curve getting used to a heavier truck.

THC1

Reaction score
Happy to hear! I'm about to take off on my maiden voyage pulling 8500lbs.

Greenhills

Reaction score
Glad it's not just me :)
I went from a F150 to this 2500 4x4 and my first thought was you really have to put the pressure down to get that sucker to stop. Kinda figured it was just going to be a learning curve getting used to a heavier truck.
Yeah, you really do need alot more force to achieve the same result. The end result is absolutely there though. After you drive it for a few thousand miles, you get used too it. That being said, I do find myself coming in a little hot to a stop sometimes haha.

jerryw1000

Reaction score
On my 2500 Hemi I had a pretty firm pedal when I got it but after they had to replace the ABS pump and module it feels a bit soft and has more travel.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Normal for a 3/4-1 ton.... when im driving my wife's car the first time i go to hit the brakes i get quickly reminded to ease up on the pressure lol

Users who are viewing this thread