Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soft Brakes - weak brakes - sponge brakes 2021 3500 - merged threads

j66chevell

Reaction score
Did you ever find a set of aftermarket pads? I have been looking for a set to change out my 2021 MC DRW 3500 and so far only the dealer can get them. I too hate the soft pedal and will bleed the system with higher performance Motul fluid sooner than later.
For Ram HD vehicles, the best pedal feel comes from Bendix brand, the Fleet Met-lock pads (FM suffix part number), these tend to be average in life span. Next best choice is Centric with 106 prefix on the part number (306 or 307 would be fine too) Centric have average to above average life, but tend towards dusty and can be squeaky if installed in a pad slap manner. Best way to keep squeaking down is replace the clips/metal hardware and add a bit of lube to contact points of the pad and caliper. Best choice is a high temp ceramic break lube (Ceramalube https://www.amazon.com/Ceramlub-2800-Temperature-Anti-Squeak-Lubricant/dp/B07WSF96HJ) Keep it light so the lube can not drop off and hit breaking surfaces.

werard

Reaction score

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Working towards 1000 miles on my 2022 and have the same feeling in my brakes. Coming from a 2018 they do feel different and seem to take more travel for similar braking, but they do stop nicely.

While not significantly larger, the MAX Tow package on the dually has 365mm rear rotors.

The Mopar parts listing shows the same rotor for 3.73 and 4.10 DRW 12.0" axles, which is the same part number as the SRW 3500.

Where did you see it was a larger rotor?

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Working towards 1000 miles on my 2022 and have the same feeling in my brakes. Coming from a 2018 they do feel different and seem to take more travel for similar braking, but they do stop nicely.

The Mopar parts listing shows the same rotor for 3.73 and 4.10 DRW 12.0" axles, which is the same part number as the SRW 3500.

Where did you see it was a larger rotor?

Don't recall specifically, but some spec literature. I did find it odd they would only be 1/4" larger so perhaps the data was incorrect.

The rotors are listed everywhere as either 358(360)mm or 365mm for the Dually. Haven't dug into it much more.

ETA: I did find this on partsgeek.com

What's odd is I'm pretty sure the dually has a 12" rear regardless of engine and this was showing for the same rotor part number.

1662861484511.png

Last edited:

superjoe83

Reaction score
Don't recall specifically, but some spec literature. I did find it odd they would only be 1/4" larger so perhaps the data was incorrect.

The rotors are listed everywhere as either 358(360)mm or 365mm for the Dually. Haven't dug into it much more.

ETA: I did find this on partsgeek.com

What's odd is I'm pretty sure the dually has a 12" rear regardless of engine and this was showing for the same rotor part number.

View attachment 44127
FWIW, on my 12" DRW 3.73 axle has a "max tow" sticker on the calipers so it looks like all 12" axles get the big brakes

I do believe the SO DRW trucks have the 11.5 axle/smaller rotors

Edit: I went and looked at a SO DRW equipment list and it does have the 11.5" axle
Screenshot_20220910-194401_Drive.jpg

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
FWIW, on my 12" DRW 3.73 axle has a "max tow" sticker on the calipers so it looks like all 12" axles get the big brakes

I do believe the SO DRW trucks have the 11.5 axle/smaller rotors

Edit: I went and looked at a SO DRW equipment list and it does have the 11.5" axle
View attachment 44130

Correct, all SO's get the 11.5" and all HO's get the 12.0".

The 11.5" uses 12 ring gear bolts SRW or DRW. The 12.0" uses 16 ring gear bolts and I'm trying to determine if that's both SRW or just the DRW, I think just DRW as they SRW and DRW use a different carrier.

freebird_78

Reaction score
Just ordered a set of Power Stop Z36 front and rear for my Power Wagon.

Wasn't a fan of the soft feel and lots of dust. Have had really good experience with Power Stop on the Charger and on the Jeep.

We'll see. I'm 100% that will fix the dust issue. If it doesn't fix the feel, I may start looking for braided stainless lines.

Wobly

Reaction score
Just ordered a set of Power Stop Z36 front and rear for my Power Wagon.

Wasn't a fan of the soft feel and lots of dust. Have had really good experience with Power Stop on the Charger and on the Jeep.

We'll see. I'm 100% that will fix the dust issue. If it doesn't fix the feel, I may start looking for braided stainless lines.
I just did the Powerstop Z36 pads and rotors on my '21 Power Wagon a week ago. I was trying to get better braking action. The Powerstop brakes do have more "bite" when applying the brakes than OEM. But, my pedal is still just as soft, mushy, long travel, etc. as it was before. But, now when I get to the point that the brakes start to apply, it is more aggressive when they make contact. The ACC with these brakes has to let off a lot more than with OEM. In certain traffic, I have to turn it off because it gets in a cycle of accelerate/ brake/ accelerate/brake and the jerking back and forth gets annoying.

freebird_78

Reaction score
Just finished with the Z36 install...

This is the 3rd MOPAR in my garage, right now (lots of different Jeeps in the past).

My Charger has the 6 pot Brembos. The pads on that were TERRIBLE. I swear, my brass monkeys looked black in a day, no exaggeration. A buddy has a Challenger with the 6 pot brembos, and his are fine. I switched to Power Stop ceramics and they've been great ever since. Almost no dust and great bite.

My Diesel Gladiator had great pads from the factory. Almost no dust, good feel.

Now the Power Wagon... The thing I was hoping to "fix" was the bite and the dust. For whatever reason, it seems like Ram has two different compounds, front and rear. I only have ~1k miles on the truck, but the front pads dust like CRAZY (almost as bad as the Charger's Brembos) and they have very little bite. The rears, on the other hand, were very clean (can't speak to the bite). I realize that the fronts do a lot more of the work, but the difference in dust was HUGE. Front was filthy, rear was like new. Pads also just looked different, apart from the obvious size/shape. I swapped in the Power Stop Z36. Right off the bat, they felt the same. But then I went and bedded them in, per Power Stop's recommendation. That definitely improved the bite, as it has for other pad swaps I've done. I'm 100% certain that these will fix the dusting issue, as they have in every other thing I've had them on. As for the sponginess, well that's a fluid/fluid path thing. No pad is going to change that. If I can't deal with it, I'll try braided SS lines.

freebird_78

Reaction score
Update

Finally got around to towing my smaller 20ft camper, 5000 ft of elevation change, and some off road, since the pad change. Definite improvement. Would 100% recommend the Z36 pads.

redstruck

Reaction score
I hear a lot of complaints but no one really doing anything about it and then others like myself feel like they are fine. Has anyone actually taken the time to just try and bleed the brakes out to see if it improves? Along with common problems like bed mis-alignment, wrinkled paint on front bumpers, horrendous factory alignments, etc why shouldn't we assume some trucks may have air in the lines? Mass production baby!!!
hi , yes i have a 2500 2022 and pedals junk .. i have my own shop and rather than waste time first with dealer , i completetly bleed system. seem better for day ,so i thought and nothing.
im talking w dealer now and going to drop it. also issue w radio sound turning off .. idk frustrating ...

Reaction score
I now have 600miles on my new 2021 3500 HO Long Bed. In general I'm extremely happy BUT the brakes seem a bit soft? i.e. have to push the peddle approx. halfway to start feeling any action.

The brakes in my previous 2008 3500 SO Short bed seemed more aggressive.

Is this normal for the new trucks?

Probably needs to go back to the dealer to check it out.

TIA
Mine were soft on my new 2022Ram 2500 Diesel,I kept complaining,,finally found a Ram dealer that showed me,,go into the dash screen,,go to trailer settings,,default setting is for light trailer,, he set mine to ,,Heavy Trailer with electric brakes,, he said this changes the computer to thinking I pull a heavy trailer,, it made a big help,,my brake pedal is much more normal now and stops much better,,don,t know why more shop foremen don,t know about this

Reactions: jak

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine were soft on my new 2022Ram 2500 Diesel,I kept complaining,,finally found a Ram dealer that showed me,,go into the dash screen,,go to trailer settings,,default setting is for light trailer,, he set mine to ,,Heavy Trailer with electric brakes,, he said this changes the computer to thinking I pull a heavy trailer,, it made a big help,,my brake pedal is much more normal now and stops much better,,don,t know why more shop foremen don,t know about this

Trailer settings only control the power and ramp rate of the trailer control braking output.

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
stainless braided brake lines are the answer here....at 30k my brake fluid was already pretty dirty....did the z36 setup on mine with all 6 lines and it now feels proper....

Users who are viewing this thread