Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SO what's a REAL lift

bigontheblue

Reaction score
37s should fit with any wheel that has +18 or more offset with either very little or no rub at all.

FWIW there are better shock options at stock length then OEM replacements, id go that route if you are going to be replacing shocks either way.
Huh? +18 or more? For a stock width of... ? 7.5? I was under the impression that stock at ~+44 and 7.5 wide would rub. That's more than 18.... do you mean less than 18? Help me, I'm derp!?

Thuren recommends +18-25 for stock width. I'm considering rims that are -16 @ 9.5 wide. If you consider vertical placement only then +44 - 25 = 19 for the change in width. Similarly 18-25( or 18) =-7 (or zero offset) for a width change only with recommended offset on 7.5" wide wheels. The wheels I'm considering are only 9mm proud of recommended... check my math and logic plz but it seams I should be good to go.

RPS1030

Reaction score
Huh? +18 or more? For a stock width of... ? 7.5? I was under the impression that stock at ~+44 and 7.5 wide would rub. That's more than 18.... do you mean less than 18? Help me, I'm derp!?

Thuren recommends +18-25 for stock width. I'm considering rims that are -16 @ 9.5 wide. If you consider vertical placement only then +44 - 25 = 19 for the change in width. Similarly 18-25( or 18) =-7 (or zero offset) for a width change only with recommended offset on 7.5" wide wheels. The wheels I'm considering are only 9mm proud of recommended... check my math and logic plz but it seams I should be good to go.
+18 to +25

Within reasonable limits, width does NOT affect tire fitment on a truck given offsets within range. Offset gives us the center of the wheel as well as tire tread. Putting the shoulders of the tires at about the same positions. Width within normally available wheels doesn't move where there shoulders are.

tchur1

Reaction score

I should have been more clear, +18-+27mm offset is what most recommend on a 9 inch wheel. I do not have experience with 37s on stock wheels but all reports I have read is that 37s on stock wheels will rub.

tchur1

Reaction score
Even 37s on a 9" +18 or +20 wheel the front tires will likely rub on the pinch welds once you start flexing.
I have 37s on +18 rims right now and have never had any rub on the pinch weld. I did have the trim the fender liner but have yet to touch the pinch weld in any conditions.

I have KM3s on the truck right now which I believe run small so that may be why and other mileage may vary.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I have 37s on +18 rims right now and have never had any rub on the pinch weld. I did have the trim the fender liner but have yet to touch the pinch weld in any conditions.

I have KM3s on the truck right now which I believe run small so that may be why and other mileage may vary.

I am running 37" Yokohama X-ATs. on 17x9 +20s. I didn't have to trim until I took it it in the dirt and start flexing while turning. Trimmed both sides. All trucks are a bit different though.

tire sm.jpg

bigontheblue

Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's read and reply, some made me chuckle, some made me shake my head but overall I'm grateful for this community.

I got the Airlift 7500XL and installed it a couple weeks ago. I've spent the last two weekends climbing mountains, scouting for elk, fishing and camping, and I'm quite happy with the bags. As I stated before, this camper is mounted for months at a time and removing the front levelers seemed to be a bigger job than I could handle in front of my storage unit. The airbags give me additional leveling options when I place the truck for camping so they were the logical choice.

I left the camper on the truck, jacked it up, and put it on stands. I wasn't sure I would get enough clearance but I installed the bags without any issue. The driver's side was harder than the passenger side and needed a little more clearance to maneuver it in place (height and swinging the rear shock out of the way). The whole job took me ~4 hours and would have gone a little quicker if I had a helper/go-fer. Both sides are independent and I mounted the valves next to the rear license plate.

I'm currently running 60 psi in both bags. The second (after photo) was taken with about 45 psi.

It handles great on the highway and it also handles washboard dirt roads like a champ. Barely even feel the washboard and never get to the point of floating over them. Crawling up some knarly forest roads to get to the good spots is also handled with ease and it seems to rock a whole lot less than before.

Happy Camper here - thanks for all comments. Also, after reading about 37's and the need to re-gear... I'm sticking with 35's. I'm averaging 12 MPG but a lot of that is split between crawling up mountains, surface streets and the occasional highway run.

CheerZ

Before and after photos.....

Attachments

• 3500 squat.jpg
    3500 squat.jpg
    850.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 3500 no squat.jpg
    3500 no squat.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 29

bigontheblue

Reaction score
that's a cool looking camper. who makes it?
Thanks! It's a 1989 Jayco Sportster 8. The original roof was flat, and it leaked, so I took it off and built a barrel roof (curved side to side and front to back). Full bed was a bit small for Mrs Dash and me, so I rebuilt the front end and cabinets to accommodate a queen bed. It got a paint job and all new tech, too. I'll sell it to the first cash offer over $100k. ;)

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

jsalbre

Reaction score
Thanks! It's a 1989 Jayco Sportster 8. The original roof was flat, and it leaked, so I took it off and built a barrel roof (curved side to side and front to back). Full bed was a bit small for Mrs Dash and me, so I rebuilt the front end and cabinets to accommodate a queen bed. It got a paint job and all new tech, too. I'll sell it to the first cash offer over $100k. ;)

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Off topic, but do you have any pics of the inside? I love to see what people have done to RVs, especially tech upgrades.

Users who are viewing this thread