Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SO what's a REAL lift

bigontheblue

Reaction score
My dealer tells me that my 3500 is lifted. I'm not buying it (I just bought it), it's certainly taller than my 3rd gen 1500, but not obnoxious. Also doesn't seem to "need" a leveling kit as it doesn't dive at all .... maybe a leveling kit was what they were referring to but I still don't see a kit installed.

What do I need to be looking for? I'm not dumb... just new to HD's... so maybe I am dumb. Everything underneath looks to be stock or stock aged, so it's hard to tell. There isn't a separate spacer on the front strut cage.

???

cj8rockcrawler

Reaction score
I would start by posting a side shot of your truck and pictures of the shocks and springs. The group here should be able to tell you pretty quickly if it is stock or not.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The Ram commercial website has all the OEM dimensions and height measurements. That’s an easy thing to reference your truck against.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Never trust a word your dealer says. Always verify with your own eyes. They’re completely clueless and will straight up make something up that they think sounds good.

You did the right thing by coming here except we haven’t seen your truck so we have no idea if it’s lifted. We need pics.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
If its done correctly, it would be different coil springs in the front and either different coils or leafe sin the rear.

If its done like most cheap kits, spacers in the front and spacers or lift blocks in the rear. If it's leaf, it will have a block in the rear from the factory, but not more than 2 inches thick.

The 2500 Power Wagon is the only one I know of that does come with a lift from the factory. 2" coil spring lift.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
If its done correctly, it would be different coil springs in the front and either different coils or leafe sin the rear.

If its done like most cheap kits, spacers in the front and spacers or lift blocks in the rear. If it's leaf, it will have a block in the rear from the factory, but not more than 2 inches thick.
There’s always going to be someone who says something like this.

There is no good reason why a 1”-2” taller coil spring is better than a 1”-2” spacer. These trucks really don’t need any more lift than that so it’s pointless to argue about taller lifts.

In fact, every aftermarket spring option for these trucks is significantly softer than the factory springs. This is actually the best reason to not buy new springs and use a spacer instead.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
So what you are telling me then is that no one makes a proper coil spring lift for these trucks, other than the factory. :)

The PW is a 2" coil spring lift from the factory. ;)

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I'm sure there are companies that make lift springs with the same payload but better ride than stock. Just they are not mainstream cookie cutters. ;)

I know for leaf springs, Deaver springs is the go to. national spring used to be a player, but I think they went out of business. I've used their coil springs on my 2WD Chevy trucks.

But you probably knew all of this already. ;)

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I'm sure there are companies that make lift springs with the same payload but better ride than stock. Just they are not mainstream cookie cutters. ;)

I know for leaf springs, Deaver springs is the go to. national spring used to be a player, but I think they went out of business. I've used their coil springs on my 2WD Chevy trucks.

But you probably knew all of this already. ;)
Better ride will be softer and less load rating than stock coils as far as coil rate goes even with progressive rate coils.

Thats just fact and it cant be changed if it rides smoother its a softer spring. Which makes a coil spacer the better alternative.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Longer coil at a softer rate will provide lift as well. AND it gives you more travel than a spacer, which gives the shock more time to dampen the spring, making for a better ride. ;)

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Longer coil at a softer rate will provide lift as well. AND it gives you more travel than a spacer, which gives the shock more time to dampen the spring, making for a better ride. ;)
Yes you are not getting the point @Rockcrawlerdude and i are trying to convey … any of the lift springs are softer giving you less weight capacity… That is why spacers are better…. Unless you prefer to use your HD truck as a minivan just for commuting instead of using it as a heavy duty truck

Last edited:

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Ah, you can get lift springs rated at the sane weight carrying capacity as the original. Or you can get some that are heavier weight rated.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
the coil spring isn’t the limiting factor in the travel here. This isn’t a high end off road machine. It’s a heavy duty truck.

OP can we just see a pic of the dang truck? We’re arguing about a lift you may or may not even have.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
True that.
But there is a guy from Texas racing a 2500 Power wagon with a newer factory 6.4 under the hood. It was originally built by old man Carli. But he' since changed it up some with aftermarket suspension pieces from another manufacture. Taquache Motorsports

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
you do have to call. I don't think those were on the website to order. for what I yank around I couldn't lose any spring rate.

Users who are viewing this thread