Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

service air suspension

gacurbcut

Reaction score
I had the same "Service Air Suspension System" message on my dashboard display. I have a 2021 Ram 3500, ordered from the factory in February 2021 and delivered in May of 2021. After reading this posting, I was able to fix the issue by properly seating the fuses. In my case, NONE OF THE FUSES WERE CORRECTLY SEATED!!! every single fuse in the fuse panel was just resting on the contacts, not pushed all the way into the contacts.

Anyone know who to contact at FCA to report this ongoing factory assembly issue?
Thanks to everyone for sharing the issue with fuses not being seated. When my “service air suspension” warning light came on, the first thing I did was push down a bunch of fuses that were not seated, including F85 and F86, which are locked together with a yellow holder. Sure enough, warning disappeared. Thanks everyone for sharing you4

gacurbcut

Reaction score
2020 Ram 2500. 8800 miles. Never an issue. Then today air suspension issue. Did the #87 fuse in/out, pushed a few further in to seat them and works fine. Hopefully it stays that way.
Figured I may as well chime in so others don't get too disillusioned and immediately take it the dealership.
Of course it was when we're all loaded and leaving for vacation. John
Same thing with me today. the F85 and F86 were not seated, and as soon as I pushed them in, light was gone… thnks

gacurbcut

Reaction score
I made an account just to thank you (and other contributors to this thread) for the solution to this trouble light.

It came on today on my 2020 3500 DRW, so I panicked and called a dealer (no appointment for 3 weeks). We have a long road trip starting Wednesday, google led me here, I followed these instructions, and it cleared the light. :)

Thanks again!
Same thing with me today. the F85 and F86 were not seated, and as soon as I pushed them in, light was gone… thnks

gacurbcut

Reaction score
I had the same "Service Air Suspension System" message on my dashboard display. I have a 2021 Ram 3500, ordered from the factory in February 2021 and delivered in May of 2021. After reading this posting, I was able to fix the issue by properly seating the fuses. In my case, NONE OF THE FUSES WERE CORRECTLY SEATED!!! every single fuse in the fuse panel was just resting on the contacts, not pushed all the way into the contacts.

Anyone know who to contact at FCA to report this ongoing factory assembly issue?

gacurbcut

Reaction score
Same thing with me today. the F85 and F86 were not seated, and as soon as I pushed them in, light was gone… thanks to everyone who shared this information.

Bigfoot63301

Reaction score
Sooo....5 months go by and we still have the issue. (Still driving with Fuse 50 pulled) Took it in for the Intake Air Grid Heater Relay recall and chewed them out for not doing anything to fix the air suspension problem. After they talked to the area rep they wanted the truck back for more troubleshooting. I asked why "more" wasn't done 5 months ago and told them I did not want the truck back unless it was fixed. So they had the truck for 3 days with no update so I went in to find out. They found one wire not routed correctly but there were no indications of that causing the issue. (it just wasn't routed in the plenum correctly) They drove it 3 times with no alarm and asked me to drive it. 200' out of the driveway the alarm came back. So my problem has now been elevated from the area rep to Engineering.

One thing I did learn from Ram Customer Care is that if the dealer can't fix the issue Ram Care can't leave the starline case opened. So the original starline case on this issue was closed 5 months ago. The dealer had to open ANOTHER one. The next step is to replace the entire harness assembly. But in order to do that they have to disassemble the entire dash, take out both seats and pull the carpet. I reminded them that nothing disassembled ever goes back correctly and the service mgr said he's going to do everything in his power not to have to change the harness. We'll see!

I think we're on service call #8 over a period of 2.5 years with no fix. RAM has some serious quality issues!

Steamboater

Reaction score
I found this forum via Google when looking for a reason that my 2021 3500 air suspension quit. Thank you for this conversation! After looking for blown air fuses, I checked the rest of the fuses for full insertion. I was able to fully indent every fuse in the box and most of the relays were not fully seated either. The suspension was correcting height before I could even get in the cab to start up the truck. It's kinda scary to think what else could come loose at the most inopportune time. Thanks again.
Lorne, 2020, 3500 Ram, same exact situation. Every fuse in the fuse box clicked in an extra 1/16”. Could not believe it was that easy. Service Air Suspension light went away!!!

Bigfoot63301

Reaction score
3 years (to the month!) and 11 service calls later the dealer finally found the issue while replacing the chassis harness. During manufacture they routed the harness over a bolt head and then held it down with a clamp. It wasn't routed correctly because there was a vacant hole where a plastic retainer plug should have held the harness on the side of the frame. The service tech told me this damage could not be seen from underneath as it was on top of the right frame. The only way was to "see" this would be to remove the harness. Ohming out the wires didn't show anything. Copper was exposed but not enough to impact the resistance readings. This could have easily been found during a Quality Control check. THIS is why manufacturing should be brought back to the USA!

Attachments

• TRUCK HARNESS.jpg
    TRUCK HARNESS.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 28

whitexc

Reaction score
Good find. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from me

Oneway

Reaction score
Bigfoot, where exactly is that wire harness section located? I recently just had my fuse 50 blow and wondering if I have the same issue.

Bigfoot63301

Reaction score
It was on the right side frame (underneath the front passenger seat) Mine would go off any time I had a passenger ride shotgun. If no passenger I could do a hard and fast left turn and it would set off the alarm. They routed the harness on top of the frame member instead of along the side. There was probably less than 1/8" of clearance between the harness and the frame. The harness was actually crushed flat. I'll have more pictures when the service tech sends them to me.

Pearce

Reaction score
Interesting. Same thing happened to my 2004 but with the transmission harness. Took several visits to figure out as well.

Bigfoot63301

Reaction score
Finally got the rest of the pictures from the service guy. This one shows how the harness was pinched between the frame and the body. (This is shown with the air tank removed) Hope this helps someone else who has the same issue.

Attachments

• PINCHED HARNESS.jpeg
    PINCHED HARNESS.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 37

Oneway

Reaction score
Well, my issue turned out to be a bad ASCM (control module). Still skeptical that my wire harness is pinched since it’s ran in the same manner as others here that have had constant nagging issues and then found damage to the wire harness. Hoping not though since I’m leaving for a 2 week off road trip soon.

Mesacitydog

Reaction score
I purchased my 2020 Ram 3500 Dually in July 2020 and never had any issues with the Air Suspension until a few days ago. The "Service Air Suspension" indicator came on and the air suspension stopped working. I researched this site and read about the fuses possibly coming loose. I located the fuses for the air suspension and removed them and waited a bit and plugged them back in and service air suspension indicator when off and the system started working again. Big thanks to everyone posting on this site!

Mulely

Reaction score
I too had this pop up on 4/7/24. So far the fuses did the trick. And all of the fuses needed to be pushed in all the way as well.

Saskman

Reaction score
After reading this thread and finding a dead battery the morning after I started installing some accessories to the brand new MC 3500 truck bed, at first I thought I maybe left the lights on or something but had stop by the dealership and ask a few questions and mentioned that the battery was dead the other morning and said I thought maybe it was me, then thinking we both agreed that the truck should shut off the lights automatically.

The other day checked the fuse box and ALL the fuses were not fully seated. I’ll see what happens for the last week so far all has been good.

Users who are viewing this thread