Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing plastic cover from rear view mirror driver assistant module

Chemesherpa

Reaction score
Hello all,

I wanted to make a separate thread specifically on how to remove this stupid plastic cover. I'm looking at doing a mirror tap but the removal of this thing is vaguely covered in many different threads as far as installing dash cameras and radar detectors using mirror taps, however I haven't found one that has a step by step direction on how to remove the plastic cover. Specifically what is attached in the pictures. I should mention this is a 2022 ram 2500 limited mega cab, with level 1 options so I have the driver assistant module behind the rear view mirror.

I have read in one post that the service manual just says "use a trim removal tool to remove" item 1, the small triangular piece directly behind the mirror. Then it says to use a trim stick to remove the larger plastic piece from the windshield.

Does anyone know of a video or a guide that shows arrows exactly where to put the trim removal tool or where up pry? I'm worried about breaking the 4 small plastic clips that retain what I have designated with a green 1. I was trying to see if I had something thin enough to slide in from the front to help push the plastic clips toward the center to release one at a time but it's an impossibly thin slit. My trim removal kit doesn't contain anything that thin and I'm almost thinking you'd need something as thin as a feeler gauge if you were to go at that route... That can't be right. I have also seen some people say that you are supposed to pull from the top in the header area, outward. Someone in another forum said they used a spring tool with a "t" handle and they placed it right where the 1 arrow is pointing to on the diagram of the small connector. Is this right? It seems like that would break the plastic clips if you just try to pull straight out... Shouldn't there be some release of tension on clips first?

I appreciate anyone who has experience doing this themselves or knows of where I might find better instructions.

Attachments

• PXL_20211116_133123242~2.jpg
    PXL_20211116_133123242~2.jpg
    599 KB · Views: 94
  • GUID-2316153342 - 1.png
    GUID-2316153342 - 1.png
    59.3 KB · Views: 89
  • GUID-2316153343 - 2.png
    GUID-2316153343 - 2.png
    56.2 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Hello all,

I wanted to make a separate thread specifically on how to remove this stupid plastic cover. I'm looking at doing a mirror tap but the removal of this thing is vaguely covered in many different threads as far as installing dash cameras and radar detectors using mirror taps, however I haven't found one that has a step by step direction on how to remove the plastic cover. Specifically what is attached in the pictures.

I have read in one post that the service manual just says "use a trim removal tool to remove" item 1, the small triangular piece directly behind the mirror. Then it says to use a trim stick to remove the larger plastic piece from the windshield.

Does anyone know of a video or a guide that shows arrows exactly where to put the trim removal tool or where up pry? I'm worried about breaking the 4 small plastic clips that retain what I have designated with a green 1. I was trying to see if I had something thin enough to slide in from the front to help push the plastic clips toward the center to release one at a time but it's an impossibly thin slit. My trim removal kit doesn't contain anything that thin and I'm almost thinking you'd need something as thin as a feeler gauge if you were to go at that route... That can't be right. I have also seen some people say that you are supposed to pull from the top in the header area, outward. Someone in another forum said they used a spring tool with a "t" handle and they placed it right where the 1 arrow is pointing to on the diagram of the small connector. Is this right? It seems like that would break the plastic clips if you just try to pull straight out... Shouldn't there be some release of tension on clips first?

I appreciate anyone who has experience doing this themselves or knows of where I might find better instructions.
This post has some good pics and arrows of where exactly all of the clips are so you know where to pry-

Chemesherpa

Reaction score
This post has some good pics and arrows of where exactly all of the clips are so you know where to pry-
Yes I posted on that thread as well, that set of pictures on there isn't very clear if they had to pry each clip out one by one or not, but they show using a flathead screw driver at that location, even with my eyeglasses repair kit flat head screwdriver, there's not enough room to shove that in there so I have no idea how they got a regular tweaker flat head in there

Chemesherpa

Reaction score
Update,

So I've tried going about it a different way, I started with popping off what what I have labeled as red number 2 in my original post. It's easy using a flat trim tool from the passenger bottom side there is a flat groove, you can stick in and twist, this easily pops #2 off...

By doing this, it allows me to stick my finger up along the top of number 1 and behind the whole assembly, I can then easily release the two top clips from the back side... The problem now is the bottom 2 clips. My finger isn't long enough to reach them. I've tried shoving something in where the clip is and prying inward while at the same time pulling out but it's not releasing the clip... If I keep pulling outward those bottom two clips are going to break or the whole piece is going to break in half right at those clips. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_0609~2.JPG
    IMG_0609~2.JPG
    407.8 KB · Views: 101

John Jensen

Reaction score
Here's my way:

Wiring Cover Removal:
Remove the upper smaller plastic piece of the two plastic assembly, this can be done using a small screwdriver and slightly sliding the piece up. Leave the larger lower plastic piece on, it will come off with the mirror removal and can be removed when the mirror is removed.

Remove Mirror:
Twist the mirror & mount assembly (and bottom cover) 1/6 turn counter-clockwise to the left.

Mirror Harness Wiring:
The pink with yellow stripe wire is 12V hot when "Key ON" to Accy or Run
The black wire is ground.

Replacing Mirror:
There's a hex bolt head and a base with two notches attached to the windshield. The mirror arm has two nubs that you align up to the two notches on the windshield mount. When seated push hard and rotate the assembly about 1/6th clockwise to the right until it stops.

Chris85xlt

Reaction score
I recently removed my mirror to install a Donger Tech harness to power my dash cam.
i was able to remove my trim piece around my mirror without any tools. its pretty fragile with small plastic tabs so be careful.
i first slide down the collar piece that touches the head liner
I would try to remove the neck piece first by squeezing the bottom of the neck that meets the fatter round bottom trim. the fat bottom trim that meets the neck could be pryed outward.
or...
if you have the room and not afraid to manipulate the trim pieces a little, grab the whole mirror and trim and rotate everything clockwise to remove the whole assmebly. Careful of the little rubber bumper at the bottom of the trim. can fall out during the rotating.

I have a 2022 Power Wagon with Level 1.

Attachments

• F7056CEE-484C-4E07-9F84-1795EC3885E5.jpeg
    F7056CEE-484C-4E07-9F84-1795EC3885E5.jpeg
    430.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 568C11A0-702F-47BC-AF81-2DDA19BC9D7E.jpeg
    568C11A0-702F-47BC-AF81-2DDA19BC9D7E.jpeg
    569.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 77A2C969-EA37-4C6F-94BF-9AEF1683A953.jpeg
    77A2C969-EA37-4C6F-94BF-9AEF1683A953.jpeg
    435.5 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

Chemesherpa

Reaction score
Update,

So I've tried going about it a different way, I started with popping off what what I have labeled as red number 2 in my original post. It's easy using a flat trim tool from the passenger bottom side there is a flat groove, you can stick in and twist, this easily pops #2 off...

By doing this, it allows me to stick my finger up along the top of number 1 and behind the whole assembly, I can then easily release the two top clips from the back side... The problem now is the bottom 2 clips. My finger isn't long enough to reach them. I've tried shoving something in where the clip is and prying inward while at the same time pulling out but it's not releasing the clip... If I keep pulling outward those bottom two clips are going to break or the whole piece is going to break in half right at those clips. Any suggestions?
Update,

So I did it, I followed my method as above to get the top two clips off easily. The bottom two clips came out by sticking my finger behind to support right between the green circles on my picture, and by pressing outward while simultaneously pulling from top down and outward, the bottom two clips finally just popped out.

Chemesherpa

Reaction score
Install completed

Attachments

• PXL_20211123_012157762.jpg
    PXL_20211123_012157762.jpg
    508.7 KB · Views: 96
  • PXL_20211123_010048420.jpg
    PXL_20211123_010048420.jpg
    597.4 KB · Views: 93
  • PXL_20211123_010952993.jpg
    PXL_20211123_010952993.jpg