Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remove, disable, render inoperable all telematics and other data sending signals

UglyViking

Reaction score
Nope. It’s cellular. You can even disconnect the SDARS antenna, and still get spotty xm reception heading in certain directions.
Many have tried all these proposed methods since Uconnect services came out in 2013, and none have succeeded. The only tried and true method is removing the wireless card from the radio module.
Well that would be even simpler then. Perhaps the signal is using the cables as part of an antenna. I may try that since I can still update the firmware on the unit via a usb stick, and assuming it doesn't throw any codes I should be ok. It looks like previous gen trucks had this work without throwing codes (with the exception that it will throw errors when certain services are used).

That would actually be a much "simpler process" and also easy to revert in the event I decide to sell in the future.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Here’s the back of the 8.4 nav radio module with all connectors identified (12” is identical). The only two connectors I can possibly plug into from my truck is the white am/fm, and yellow satellite/gps. All others are unused, and I still have no issues with Bluetooth connection, WiFi hotspot, and receiving OTA updates. I do have several faults stored in the radio module for all the missing antennas, but no messages on the screen alerting me of those faults.
791DCA23-F56B-422E-9E09-ED4DEC1E58DC.jpeg
And this is the OTA update I received as soon as I plugged the new radio in. No antenna, but it did end up taking both attempts and about an hour and a half to complete.
8BFB7EED-2BF8-4ACA-B919-D9C55ACA5FAE.jpeg

UglyViking

Reaction score
Hmm, that is very odd. My only guess is that there has to be another connection it's getting data from. I don't know how their data is sent/received and while it's technically possible to send data over radio, I'd wager a guess that isn't what is happening here. That casted metal should be enough to act as a faraday cage, so I'm not quite sure what would be causing it to still function.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
You don’t physically have to do anything on the truck. You can go on the site and opt out of everything, and they’ll kill the data connection remotely. Outside of that, you’d have to open up the radio module and remove the wireless card off the circuit board.

Which apparently also disables the GPS. So it's all or nothing.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I've not spent the time on this yet to be honest. I've been slammed with work and haven't had the time needed to dedicate to this. My first order of business is to get a RF sensor so I can do a before and after confirmation. Once I've got the RF sensor and have confirmed it's operation I'll do this and report back. It's likely not something that I'll get to until late Feb at this point with a trip coming up though. I'd say if you're interested then pulling the cables would be your first path. That said, as Jimmy posted above, it seems as that may not be the fix.

My plan right now is to pull the cell modem from the uconnect unit. According to a post on another cummins forum and this link(mods: doesn't link to another forum) it seems as it's prob the best way to go about this as you'll retain all the other non-cell functionality. Of note is that you'll be responsible for updating your own firmware, and I highly recommend you set reminders to do so. Running a truck without updating the firmware, especially modern vehicles, leads you open to an attack. It's likelihood depends on your threat model, and for 99% of people it's probably slim.

I'd like to retain the gps and BT sensors for the times when I use android auto. I'd love the ability to continue to run AA when I want, assuming I don't flash my cell os to something like grapheneos, at which point I'll need to use onboard GPS or a standalone unit.

The only reason for the delay on my end is that I want to confirm I'm no longer seeing the sort of transmissions from the vehicle that it was sending prior. That is the only way to have confidence it's actually gone.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
That would be awesome.

I updated my sig, but below contains additional information:
2019 2500 Laramie CCSB 4x4 6.7 Cummins
bucket seats with center console and wireless charging pad
towing tech group
sport package
level 2 group
8.4" nav
sirius xm
blind-spot sensors
clearance lamps
led bed lighting
So you picked a truck with a bunch of tech and you participate in a forum.. never mind I don’t have anything to contribute to this thread lol.

Good luck sir! lol

UglyViking

Reaction score
So you picked a truck with a bunch of tech and you participate in a forum.. never mind I don’t have anything to contribute to this thread lol.

Good luck sir! lol
On the 19+ trucks you don't have the option to "opt-out" of the tech, at least the tech that tracks you. It's in every 8.4" and 12" head unit. The truck I bought did have a bunch of extras that I wasn't planning on, but frankly it was such a deal that it was my current truck or a far less equipped bighorn for more money.

I do contribute to this forum, but I get to choose what I post and when, and when I leave the forum no one knows where I'm at, just that I'm not here. I am not going to try and convince you of anything, everyone has their own level of what they consider private and all that.

Will_T

Reaction score
You don’t physically have to do anything on the truck. You can go on the site and opt out of everything, and they’ll kill the data connection remotely.

Interesting. I cannot find these settings referred to. I wish my truck would communicate. In my garage on the Mopar website my truck is shown with one mile on the odometer. It does look like it read a tire pressure at least once but in vehicle health it says the last update was Oct. 9, 2021.

rfullen280

Reaction score
Interesting. I cannot find these settings referred to. I wish my truck would communicate. In my garage on the Mopar website my truck is shown with one mile on the odometer. It does look like it read a tire pressure at least once but in vehicle health it says the last update was Oct. 9, 2021.
Do you have anything plugged into the OBD port?

Will_T

Reaction score
Pretty sure, yes.
Well that may explain the 1 mile on the website's odometer reading then. Thanks! I still don't see anything on the Mopar website like Jimmy referred to though? He suggested the OP "opt out of everything"? I looked for everything to opt in to but didn't find anything

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Well that may explain the 1 mile on the website's odometer reading then. Thanks! I still don't see anything on the Mopar website like Jimmy referred to though? He suggested the OP "opt out of everything"? I looked for everything to opt in to but didn't find anything
Under the your rights and choices, there are different things you can opt out of depending on the level of tin foil hattery:

Will_T

Reaction score
Under the your rights and choices, there are different things you can opt out of depending on the level of tin foil hattery:
Thanks. I was looking on the Mopar site where my "Garage" is. It looks like in your link that we are pretty much opted in unless we opt out which is fine with me. I thought maybe I had not opted into something and that was why my information on the Mopar site never updates. But it now seems likely that having my iDash plugged in is somehow preventing that communication?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Thanks. I was looking on the Mopar site where my "Garage" is. It looks like in your link that we are pretty much opted in unless we opt out which is fine with me. I thought maybe I had not opted into something and that was why my information on the Mopar site never updates. But it now seems likely that having my iDash plugged in is somehow preventing that communication?
I can’t see how something plugged into the OBD port would do that. The OBD port is completely divorced from the radio because of the security gateway.

Will_T

Reaction score
I can’t see how something plugged into the OBD port would do that. The OBD port is completely divorced from the radio because of the security gateway.
You may be correct but the Mopar website says the last update was on October 21st and it is possible that I did have my iDash out of the truck for a while back then. However, my website dashboard still says there is only one mile on the truck so that has obviously not been the case since the factory. Not sure why it does not update. I can use the remote commands on the website buttons to lock, unlock, etc. so obviously some communication is going on.

Will_T

Reaction score
When did maintenance start working on HD trucks with UC4? Never did before.

It is a little confusing because my Mopar Vehicle Health page shows the tire pressure. I just added wiper blades maintenance item manually to test that and then the site updated the trucks mileage to what I entered in the wiper maintenance record. So the Mopar website dashboard can communicate with the truck to get the tire pressure at least. And it can also communicate to transmit remote commands to the truck. The "System Summary" says it was last updated on October 9th so that is perhaps when it last grabbed the tire pressure. I am not sure why it would not have updated since. I am not going to worry about it as it is not a big deal and I don't want to take this thread further off topic. Thanks for the suggestions. I keep maintenance records for all our cars in the Acar/Fuelly App which is always available on my phone so I like that and will continue with it.

rfullen280

Reaction score
I don't see how it does it either, but I have a power supply for my Valentine 1 plugged in, and my truck gives zero updates to it's location, fuel, tire pressures, etc, in the UConnect or whatever App... and when I unplug that, it starts working again. Logically, it makes no sense, but somehow it interferes.

Users who are viewing this thread