Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote unlock camper shell wiring?

delronico2500

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Ram 2500 megacab limited. The installer couldn't find the wire to hook into for the remote unlock and I have to take it back on Monday. Has anybody here wired a 2022 and if so, any guidance on where the wire is? Installer says that it isn't where the leer specs show it.

Before anybody mentions the mirrors in the towing position without the trailer attached, I'm that guy. I leave them up all the time instead of moving them back and forth and adjusting to using them in different positions as I tow somewhat regularly.

Thanks
RonIMG_2392.jpeg

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
I guess I better answer this before this turns into another mirror argument thread.
In the bundle of wires at the bottom of the B-pillar, the purple wire with green stripe is unlock, and the light green wire with dark green stripe is lock.
You can find those wires anywhere in the section I have yellow crayon drawn on:
21D81B87-C150-468F-923B-88BBECDC6B92.jpeg

John Jensen

Reaction score
The connection point on my 2020 was exactly where Jimmy described it.

As to the mirrors, I also tow. I have set my mirror memories to #1 when mirrors are in and #2 when mirrors are out for towing. Makes it easy, and they go to my perfect settings every time I change.

Millmutt

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Ram 2500 megacab limited. The installer couldn't find the wire to hook into for the remote unlock and I have to take it back on Monday. Has anybody here wired a 2022 and if so, any guidance on where the wire is? Installer says that it isn't where the leer specs show it.

Before anybody mentions the mirrors in the towing position without the trailer attached, I'm that guy. I leave them up all the time instead of moving them back and forth and adjusting to using them in different positions as I tow somewhat regularly.

Thanks
RonView attachment 36096
When I purchased a Leer hard tonneau for my last truck I though my model would lock and unlock with the doors but it didn’t. If came with its own fob. I was able to program it to the home link on the visor. The tonneau had a teach button under the cover like a garage door opener. I think depending on the model topper they may come with different remote set ups.

Randrx2

Reaction score
Another stupid question, how do you get the wiring from outside to the truck to the inside wires? Did you drill a hole or use an existing hole?

pete2833

Reaction score
Not sure but they could possibly use the wiring that locks and unlocks the tailgate ?

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Not sure but they could possibly use the wiring that locks and unlocks the tailgate ?
No, because the tailgate doesn’t use lock and unlock circuits. They would use the wires I posted in the 2nd post.

chas0218

Reaction score
Do you have the AUX switches? I would use one of your AUX switches to act as the lock and unlock if you have them. Maybe worth an upgrade if you don't.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The connection point on my 2020 was exactly where Jimmy described it.

As to the mirrors, I also tow. I have set my mirror memories to #1 when mirrors are in and #2 when mirrors are out for towing. Makes it easy, and they go to my perfect settings every time I change.
Must be nice to have fancy pants mirrors!!! :D That would be a cool feature to have if the mirrors flipped up and down with power too

Randrx2

Reaction score
Another stupid question, how do you get the wiring from outside to the truck to the inside wires? Did you drill a hole or use an existing hole?
OK, I figured it out. I ran it through the floor through a knockout I removed and drilled out. Ran the wires through and then caulked.

Running the wires was a pain! Trying to tie into the Ram wires was tough, that bundle is tight. Also, "A lime green wire with a green stripe"? I want to strangle that engineer who came up with the color coding. The green stripe looks more blue to me BTW.

I am happy to have this done as I have been putting it off for awhile.

djc5768

Reaction score
does anyone know if there are any plugs in that general area that a t-harness could be made so we don't have to cut into the harness?

PRS

Reaction score

Thanks
RonView attachment 36096
You do know you can set memory #1 for the up position and then set memory #1 for the down position too?

zerogravity779

Reaction score
For those that want to see what the wires look like in the bundle. Below is the Lock (lime green with dark green stripe) and unlock (purple with lime green stripe. You can see in the picture where I tested the wires with a light tester. This is also where I made my connection. I went to Walmart and purchased a 25 foot roll of 4 flat trailer wiring ($15 - same wire was almost $30 at the auto parts stores). I ran all four wires down the left side of the bed, and to the top of the frame where there was a access hole (yes, I used spiral wrap). I then ran an electrical wire fish tape all the way through the fram, and exited at the top of the frame rail, under the drivers seat where the above mentioned floor drain (knockout) is located. Ran the green, yellow and brown wires the through the knockout and into the harness in the drivers side door sill wire bundle. The Green wire to the green lock wire and the yellow wire to the purple unlock wire. The brown wire will tie into the dome lights in the future to add dome activated lights in the topper (or maybe a dedicated switch inside the truck). This will be in addition to the factory installed and working perfectly button activated light. The white wire is a 16 gauge wire that will be ran to the battery in the future for a small AUX plug for phone charging (the trailer wires are 18 GA and the white ground in the bundle is 16 GA). I also had to order some Molex pins to attach the wires to the toppers fuse box. I ordered them off of Amazon. The ones I ordered were .093" 14 - 20 AWG, series 1189. They are SLIGHTLY bigger than the hole in the toppers fuse box six pin plug. I lightly. squeezed them together to reshape and it worked perfectly. The are split in the center, so reforming is easy. Hope this helps someone.

IMG_0102.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0101.jpeg
    IMG_0101.jpeg
    410.3 KB · Views: 32

Users who are viewing this thread