Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Regular vs Platinum BlueDEF

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I know all that, my reference was only about deleting. It is the worst of all the emissions violations. Nothing can top its flagrancy, enormity or impact. Deleting is known to be what triggered the EPA to actively enforce diesel vehicle rules and come down so hard on tuners, etc. So, thank you deleters for making it so tough on the rest of us.
We can pass the emissions tests while deleted... its the “coal rollers” that triggered the epa we have a different variation up here in Canada bit same premise just less consequences

John Jensen

Reaction score
We can pass the emissions tests while deleted... its the “coal rollers” that triggered the epa we have a different variation up here in Canada bit same premise just less consequences
Maybe in Canada. Any state in the USA that employs diesel smog testing will not pass a deleted vehicle because its emissions equipment has been removed.

Edit:
In Califunny if you add any device or part to the engine that is not CARB certified, and stickered same, will not pass a smog test.

Last edited:

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
I'm in no way worried about it. Since I have the ability I'm curious to know its quality and what it's doing. The quality sensor in the DEF tank will alarm at 22%. I am interested in watching that to preclude any alarm and the ensuing effects.

I return your "lol" regards you monitoring your ODO. Deleting is such a violation and so illegal, I'll never do that.
What isn’t illegal, to the gods that be, in gov. these days?

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Maybe in Canada. Any state in the USA that employs diesel smog testing will not pass a deleted vehicle because its emissions equipment has been removed.

Edit:
In Califunny if you add any device or part to the engine that is not CARB certified, and stickered same, will not pass a smog test.
Haven’t been to commifornia since 1969, and no plans to return.

Dr__Bob

Reaction score
To get this thread back on track, after getting the hard sell from the dealer that only *their* DEF was good enough, I’ve only picked it up at Walmart. I do carefully check each jug to make sure that the seal under the cap is still intact, as I have heard rumors of people returning jugs filled with water...

Nick

Reaction score
Best and cheapest DEF is at Truck stops . Get it at the pump . Truck Stops go thru a lot of it so it is pretty fresh and around $2.50 per gal . I usually go them when traveling .

Birton

Reaction score
I'm in no way worried about it. Since I have the ability I'm curious to know its quality and what it's doing. The quality sensor in the DEF tank will alarm at 22%. I am interested in watching that to preclude any alarm and the ensuing effects.

I return your "lol" regards you monitoring your ODO. Deleting is such a violation and so illegal, I'll never do that.

I've avoided DEF until now... What is the DEF tank quality sensor and where can I see that?

TIA

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
To get this thread back on track, after getting the hard sell from the dealer that only *their* DEF was good enough, I’ve only picked it up at Walmart. I do carefully check each jug to make sure that the seal under the cap is still intact, as I have heard rumors of people returning jugs filled with water...
Wally world for me too. Easy to read dates on the jugs. At $6.99 or less for 2.5 gallons the price is great. I also check to make sure it is sealed partly for contaminants but more so for leaks. I can't imagine someone doing a water scam on a $6.99 jug though.

MtnRider

Reaction score
Wally world for me too. Easy to read dates on the jugs. At $6.99 or less for 2.5 gallons the price is great. I also check to make sure it is sealed partly for contaminants but more so for leaks. I can't imagine someone doing a water scam on a $6.99 jug though.

Exactly. People have been spreading this "check the seal people are filling with water" for ever and I never seen 1 single instance of proof on that. I do check that it hasn't leaked though. Who is that desperate to return a $7 jug of DEF, and still be able to afford to drive a newer DEF truck?? It's an old wives tale.

McHenry2500

Reaction score
I'll add to the cheap DEF group. But I buy my jugs at Samsclub/Costco and it seemed like it was a little cheaper than Walmart. We run Kubota brand DEF in our ranch truck (duramax) and it runs just fine!

cdugas4

Reaction score
DEF is DEF. The plant I work at makes the majority of the DEF in the country. It gets shipped out and bottled or offloaded at truck stops. It all comes from the same place and has the same high quality specs. If someone is branding it as "cleaner", they may be passing it through an additional filter but that is not needed. It's marketing hype.

lovegolf44

Reaction score
So getting back to the original topic of regular DEF vs Blue DEF Platinum, we really don't know the difference, i.e., what "secret" 3rd chemical makes it Platinum. Without any data from BlueDEF to convince us otherwise, I'll stick with regular DEF.

Dave88LX

Reaction score
Was wondering this myself. Is there any data anywhere from any testing or anything out there proving that Platinum is better, or that Walmart is just as good?
Something beyond forum speak of "DEF is DEF"? I'm not saying it is or isn't. I'm just looking for data/testing.

Cpsram21

Reaction score
Yep, I run the Walmart brand for $6.96/2.5 gallons.
Just to let you guys know , for anybody that has several rigs running DEF like we do on our farm you can get it bulk. We have a 330 gallon tote and i have a 55 gallon drum at home with a pump. We pay $1.45/gallon for ours and with the money saved over the years at the farm i bought a electric pump for my house drum now also. They are spendy because of the special non corrosive plastic parts and stainless steel but it takes 2 minutes to fill my tank now. manual pumps are around a $100 electric are $500 but we have had the one at the farm for 8 years now and it never has missed a beat. Just a thought for someone with a garage or shop they could keep it in they will enjoy filling for a lot less and whenever they want instead of searching for a station that carries it. I bought my first 55 gallon drum For $117 full and now i own it so i can get it filled by most bulk fuel companies or just run it to the farm and fill it from our 330 gallon tote. And by the way to the original question of quality of different brands , our fuel supplier said they get the same stuff in 1,2.5, 5 gallon jugs that is in 55 gallon and 330 gallon tote and it all is exactly the same straight from the manufacturer' s mouth . Another words they are just charging you more for the packaging the product is the same .

Last edited:

Cpsram21

Reaction score
I've avoided DEF until now... What is the DEF tank quality sensor and where can I see that?

TIA
From what i was told its not a quality sensor , it is a water sensor so if they got the mix of urea and deionized water wrong it tells the computer because it can freeze up without enough urea in it . The ratio is 32.5% urea and 67.5% deionized water . We use lots of urea fertilizer on the farm and at less then 32% it will freeze in our tanks and much higher then 35% it will salt out. So yes DEF is a highly refined urea fertilizer and deionized water so it doesn't plug the filter and injectors up in the system used to treat the exhaust on our trucks.

Reaction score
If your truck is still under warranty, DO NOT USE BULK DEF!!!

On one of my fleet trucks, a 2016 Ram 2500 6.7L Bighorn, I had a DEF Pump Failure and a resultant DPF failure. Had I used bulk DEF and did not keep my old DEF bottles until replacing a new one each time... the dealer was going to blame the problem on improper DEF fluid. Having that Bottle with the batch codes killed his line of BS either way!!!

If you are buying Platinum DEF... you are the one I made this video for.

Cpsram21

Reaction score
If your truck is still under warranty, DO NOT USE BULK DEF!!!

On one of my fleet trucks, a 2016 Ram 2500 6.7L Bighorn, I had a DEF Pump Failure and a resultant DPF failure. Had I used bulk DEF and did not keep my old DEF bottles until replacing a new one each time... the dealer was going to blame the problem on improper DEF fluid. Having that Bottle with the batch codes killed his line of BS either way!!!

If you are buying Platinum DEF... you are the one I made this video for.
Hate to say it but they would have to prove without a doubt that the def is what caused the failure otherwise its just them scaring customers to buy there products. We have been using bulk def from our well known oil company for 8 years and never had a failure in any tractor or truck we use it in. Its the same as them telling you your diesel caused a cp4 failure , without a lab test proving it from a direct sample out of your truck they have zero proof ! I must have a better dealer then you because when i had a def pump failure 3 years ago there was no questions about where i purchase my def . They changed the pump and filter and said it was a common failure.

Reaction score
Hate to say it but they would have to prove without a doubt that the def is what caused the failure otherwise its just them scaring customers to buy there products. We have been using bulk def from our well known oil company for 8 years and never had a failure in any tractor or truck we use it in. Its the same as them telling you your diesel caused a cp4 failure , without a lab test proving it from a direct sample out of your truck they have zero proof ! I must have a better dealer then you because when i had a def pump failure 3 years ago there was no questions about where i purchase my def . They changed the pump and filter and said it was a common failure.
I hear what you are saying, but I was leasing my trucks for the past six years from Enterprise Truck... so those Agents are also looking for a scapegoat and the dealer gives them all the ammo they need to say "it's your fault" and put you on a "Do Not Rent" list should you disagree with their determination of fault. I am not saying it is right or wrong, just do not give them any reason to doubt. The funny thing in this exact instance... my DEF pump failure was right after, within 150 miles of buying bulk DEF for the first time at a pump in California. By the time I made it to Northern Cali, it was triggered and a freaking nightmare to get to Portland, Oregon where I was renting my trucks from. I got the whole mileage countdown and the works til the truck simply wouldn't move.

In your instance it works... and I would do it too since it would make sense to do a bulk tank. I have several 250 gallon tanks for marine grade fuel at my shop.... one more for DEF would be great if it were not for the fact that we deleted the 2015 2500 last weekend and my kit for the 2021 HO is on the way.

Users who are viewing this thread