Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Regens at alarming rate!

CaptainMike

Reaction score
Two days ago I received a UConnect update. Concurrently I’ve been driving around with an active P2459 code planning to go to a dealer to record it. The code has been active for weeks. It be been clearing these myself but decided that it was time to have the dealer awknoldege these codes. Today I noticed the code has cleared itself. Coincidence that it’s occurred just after the UConnect update? Are these systems connected?
Hmmm, after documenting with the dealer I have cleared the recurring P2459 codes, but there is one that I can't clear titled "Permanent P2459 Frequent Regens". I'm using the OBDII.

deocder

Reaction score
UConnect is infotainment only and not connected to the ECM. Your ECM triggered the P2459 code which is from your truck regenerating to much. This is a very common fault code and it can be triggered from having the wrong air filter installed, wrong MAF sensor, to many idle hour,s and city driving (short trips). This thread is a good read with lots of information regarding this subject. Even though your fault code has cleared I would start by verifying you have an OEM mopar/fleetguard air filter installed and also check your oil level, excessive regens can lead to fuel dilution with can be catastrophic to your engine
Thanks for the feedback. I’ve had the issue since my CP3 imploded and Ram replaced with the new HP fuel pump, injectors, and fuel rail. I’m at the point where the system can only get about 20 miles before it regens again. I believe you meant oil dilution. I definitely have experienced this as well.

The thing that is blowing my mind is that I can’t recall having had a P2459 clear itself. Especially giving how often my system regens. Has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I’ve had the issue since my CP3 imploded and Ram replaced with the new HP fuel pump, injectors, and fuel rail. I’m at the point where the system can only get about 20 miles before it regens again. I believe you meant oil dilution. I definitely have experienced this as well.

The thing that is blowing my mind is that I can’t recall having had a P2459 clear itself. Especially giving how often my system regens. Has anyone else experienced this?

Surely you meant to say "CP4 imploded" ?

chap442

Reaction score
Mine kept going into regen- I pull 20K trailer full time- Went through several dealers in different states- then a tech told me He had seen it before and knew the problem. He said the AC would drip condensation on the Def sensor making it fault. Replace sensor AND most importantly he relocated the sensor so it would be out of the condensation drip line- PROBLEM SOLVED and no more regen issue

JMR62

Reaction score
Wow, amazing that he knew. You didn't even have to have a code pop up that said condensation dripping from AC onto
def sensor!

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Mine kept going into regen- I pull 20K trailer full time- Went through several dealers in different states- then a tech told me He had seen it before and knew the problem. He said the AC would drip condensation on the Def sensor making it fault. Replace sensor AND most importantly he relocated the sensor so it would be out of the condensation drip line- PROBLEM SOLVED and no more regen issue

I’m rather curious as to what sensor, and how it was relocated.

I’m not aware of any DEF sensors that are anywhere near where the A/C would condense, as they are all well aft of the A/C system.

Additionally the DEF sensors shouldn’t have any impact on regen.

kfscoll

Reaction score
Well, my truck did another weird thing yesterday. It went from 0 on the DPF meter to a soot load-based regeneration cycle in less than 20 miles. So that was cool. Fortunately it only took about 30 miles for it to complete renegeration, and the DPF gauge didn’t (and hasn’t) moved off of zero for about 200 miles after the active regen, all those 200 miles were mostly unloaded highway miles.. I suspect it really didn’t like the eight ounces of Hot Shots Diesel Extreme I dumped in the fuel tank after my last fill-up.

My wife keeps saying “call the dealer” but I have no case - I’ve been keeping the active regenerations to a minimum by driving up and down the interstate at 80+ MPH like a fool every time the DPF gauge begins to register anything. No wonder Ram drivers are considered the worst on the road. I’m going to just have to suck it up and drive as I ordinarily would so I can build up a record of too-frequent regens…of course at the cost of diluting my oil or worse.

Last edited:

flan

Reaction score
Yea I couldn’t see myself wasting my time and fuel to keep that gauge happy. That’s a tough spot to be in.

ARC223500

Reaction score
Update: truck was in the shop for 3 weeks. Dealer found a loose charge pipe. Fixed that, performed standing regen, short trip regens continued, dealer replaced DPF differential pressure sensor, and the recently installed recall PM sensor.

One note on the paperwork indicates that they are following a ‘service bulletin flow chart’. It literally states, ‘if p2459 continues, replace DPF’ on the paperwork.

Left the dealer, particulate % was at 45% went into regen shortly after. That was on a short trip. Then took a trip about 40 round trip miles. 75-80 MPH. Regen cleared and they once back home, particulate % back up at approx 31%. Took another short trip to fuel up, no change on particulate %.

Needless to say I doubt it’s fixed. They service advisor indicated to watch the percentage and if it climbs pst 50% and doesn’t go into regen, call them so they can order the DPF.

LoL. Ya boi is getting a new DPF soon. I guess these DPFs are only good for around 20k miles.

Cheers all.

kanigie

Reaction score
I moved on. Love hate relationship. Will check back on this thread from time to time, good luck all. Picked up a 23' baby Duramax. Already browsing for a 4th gen CTD...

PXL_20240209_192121988.jpg

BLUERIVERHAULER

Reaction score
I am joining you. After many trips to dealer that I purchased from and other dealers, regen issue never resolved. I sold truck and am now using a Frieghtliner for Rv hauling and will get ford f450 for personal Rv. Ram doesn’t care.

Jay P

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat now. We sold our RV last summer so no longer needed a 2500 and just traded it for a 2023 Tahoe with the 3.0l diesel (wife found it and it's what she wanted). In my case the local RAM dealer played a role in this. On top of the regen issues they just kept finding excuses when I wanted the 3 open recalls fixed and RAM cares was completely useless. I will never buy anything from the RAM dealer in Casper again, the service dept just plain sucks.

ofishl1

Reaction score
Part of the recall is a software update so it's possible there is more to the software update than just adding the sensor to the software. I'm sure the software update will bring the software to the most recent version which may be why some are having regen issues after the update. I'm 100% sure that there is more to these regen issues than just using the wrong air filter or diving style. Programing/sensor tolerance must also be part of this.
I also think where the air is drawn into the filter plays into this. The air intake is between the shutters and the radiator. Seems that this could cause hot engine compartment air to enter the filter housing at times.

Jay

Very true. But here’s the thing, there are trucks experiencing the exact same DTC’s, symptoms, etc prior to having Y43 completed. Many of which go in under the assumption that Y43 will fix the issue. When they leave with the update completed, nothing changes and the truck continues to operate the exact same way. I’m not saying the software flash doesn’t change some parameters, it likely does, but whatever it changes, I don’t believe that it would cause an instant regeneration issue post-update. My guess is these trucks are simply reaching the point where the issue “starts”. My own 2022 did this exact thing. It was 100% fine for nearly 33,000 miles. Regenerated only on the 24 hour schedule. Never missed a beat. On 6/27/23 it initiated a regeneration with 1,053 miles since last one and 24 engine hours. On 7/7/23 it initiated a regeneration with only 328 miles and 9 hours since last. Never to recover from that for months until I switched fuel sources and stopped using additive. It’s now on the mend again after a lot of documentation and experimenting on my part. These truck can clearly change “overnight”.
Although I see a lot of MY 22 being referenced, This is exactly what my 23 Laramie CTD has started doing at 6700miles...like "overnight"..have not been thru the entire log of posts, however have seen you note a log you posted somewhere. If you care to please repost so I may start to log this bizzarre regen behavior. Thank you

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Although I see a lot of MY 22 being referenced, This is exactly what my 23 Laramie CTD has started doing at 6700miles...like "overnight"..have not been thru the entire log of posts, however have seen you note a log you posted somewhere. If you care to please repost so I may start to log this bizzarre regen behavior. Thank you
Thread can be found here:

ofishl1

Reaction score
Thread can be found here:

The only thing I do know right now, is I have the right Air Filter..and oil is in the middle safe zone.

ofishl1

Reaction score
Here’s what I got from AG when I emailed them today with my question. They said if heavy towing go with the 20260 but in my case of only towing a 10k trailer 4-6 times a year the 60261 would be fine.

They both offer up to 90 horsepower increase and 1-3mpg in fuel savings. The 60261 is a fuel rail module. So, it’s making the truck think it’s not producing enough fuel pressure, so the truck compensates or “steps up” for how much it thinks its low.

The 20260 is an injector module so it’s controlling the injector pulse width, holding the injectors open a bit longer so it can add more fuel; therefore, more power.

I would say you would be fine with the 60261, plus it’s easier to install.
I did not see where they offer a module for newer model years unless I missed it, seems all are for pre 20's

Users who are viewing this thread