Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Regen

BlueOx2500

Reaction score
So, assuming you aren't going to "delete" your truck, with all this complication/issue with diesel emissions it begs the question: should I just get a Hemi instead next time?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
After everything this truck has put me through I'll take whatever good news I can get. This has been a very frustrating and confounding series of events.
I know the feeling.
I remember when I was trying to correct the regen frequency issue on mine, driving and constantly monitoring the DPF gauge to see how it was performing. Very frustrating to change things and see no improvement. It was a very gratifying feeling when I started to see it begin to work correctly again.

andy685

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I've run the gamut with my '22 HO CTD. I drive 80:20 highway/town, tow regularly and had no regen problems until about 20,000 miles, then constant regens like you're experiencing, with equally constant fuel dilution of my crankcase. Here's what the dealership tried (including at least three STAR cases): replaced the MAFS, no change; replaced the boost tube, no change; did the fuel system check and injectors were fine, no change; pulled and inspected the fuel pump, found no issues with the O-ring and reinstalled, still no change; replaced the DPF and voila'! I've had two 24 hr regen cycles and the EVIC DPF screen stays at zero until about 19 engine hours then hovers around 10% until the 24 hour timed regen kicks in.

I don't know if it's fixed, but it seems to work as intended now. I'm very fortunate to have the dealership techs that I have. It's a smalltown dealer and the service manager is also the main mechanic, as well as a personal friend. I urge you to share my experience with your dealership and insist that they opening as many STAR cases as it takes to at least get to where I am.
Captain... How did you convince RAM to replace the DPF without codes stating there was an issue.

Truck is currently at the dealer with a star case. RAM ran a test on the pressure sensor to see values.... said no code then everything is functioning as intended.
Makes no sense. The truck Regened after 200 miles... my next drive was 250 miles all interstate 70 + mph. DPF on Eric started at 0 and was at almost 50% when I turned it off at home that evening. How can it be performing normal when it won't passively Regen on the interstate over a 3 hour drive.

I'll be picking the truck up this week and the dealer has nothing else they can do.

CaptainMike

Reaction score
Captain... How did you convince RAM to replace the DPF without codes stating there was an issue.

Truck is currently at the dealer with a star case. RAM ran a test on the pressure sensor to see values.... said no code then everything is functioning as intended.
Makes no sense. The truck Regened after 200 miles... my next drive was 250 miles all interstate 70 + mph. DPF on Eric started at 0 and was at almost 50% when I turned it off at home that evening. How can it be performing normal when it won't passively Regen on the interstate over a 3 hour drive.

I'll be picking the truck up this week and the dealer has nothing else they can do.
I didn't 'convince' Ram to do anything. I did have multiple P2459 codes (frequent regens), and a very good service manager/mechanic and we are keeping at it. It seems to be functioning properly now, but I won't be satisfied for another 20 -30k more miles.

You might have a similar truck to mine that has a so far unidentifiable problem. The latest fix was replacing the DPF, but my reasoning is that the DPF is a symptom rather than a cause. I truly hope I'm wrong and that this nightmare is over, but only time will tell. The only driving habit I've changed is when the EVIC goes above 25% or hits the 24hr regen I take it on a 20 - 30 minute mountain drive where it resets to 0. I do enjoy seeing that.

I think your dealership is lazy and apathetic. Well, except for your money, I bet they really like that.

Last edited:

Thorvald

Reaction score
Get a 53034051AB filter from Mopar.
This this this this…. Can’t stress it enough.

Since replacing mine my logs have been almost all 24 hour driving time regen. What a difference.

Only time I get close to a normal regen now is if the truck is only driven short distances for a week or so, take it out for a long (couple of hours) drive and usually behaves until the 24 hr regen cycle.

CTS3 Edge is my second secret, it lets me see the avg time between regens and the true status of the regen among other things.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
This this this this…. Can’t stress it enough.

Since replacing mine my logs have been almost all 24 hour driving time regen. What a difference.

Only time I get close to a normal regen now is if the truck is only driven short distances for a week or so, take it out for a long (couple of hours) drive and usually behaves until the 24 hr regen cycle.

CTS3 Edge is my second secret, it lets me see the avg time between regens and the true status of the regen among other things.
100%.

You have to have the correct air filter in the air box on these trucks. I still can’t understand why they are so temperamental about air filters, but it is indeed an issue. Seems like some trucks are more picky than others.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

The PID’s for average time and distance between regens is not accurate, at least that I’ve seen.

Enve46

Reaction score
100%.

You have to have the correct air filter in the air box on these trucks. I still can’t understand why they are so temperamental about air filters, but it is indeed an issue. Seems like some trucks are more picky than others.
Now the question is where do you buy these filters so it’s not a knock off?! Mopar site says 6-7 week delay

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Now the question is where do you buy these filters so it’s not a knock off?! Mopar site says 6-7 week delay
Geno’s garage online.
Mopar 53034051AB. They say out of stock all the time but they usually ship very quickly. As an alternative you can use Fleetguard AF27684 as long as it is the one manufactured in the USA not Mexico. The box will say “Source: US” or
“Source: MX”

Units

Reaction score
So I need to clarify my post, #215. I did buy a Fleetguard air filter from klm, received it this morning and it HAD the 2 glue strips. My fault for not reading the description and just looking at the product picture and item number. Just dropped it off to the PO and it’s going back. I did however send them an email and inquire about the discrepancy, I was told by customer service that “Fleetguard has been using glue strips on those filters for 10 years”, was the only explanation I got. Not sure how true that is since I haven’t been driving diesels that long. I also ordered a fuel/oil filter kit which I haven’t received yet, hopefully everything is how it should be. @mbarber84

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
So I need to clarify my post, #215. I did buy a Fleetguard air filter from klm, received it this morning and it HAD the 2 glue strips. My fault for not reading the description and just looking at the product picture and item number. Just dropped it off to the PO and it’s going back. I did however send them an email and inquire about the discrepancy, I was told by customer service that “Fleetguard has been using glue strips on those filters for 10 years”, was the only explanation I got. Not sure how true that is since I haven’t been driving diesels that long. I also ordered a fuel/oil filter kit which I haven’t received yet, hopefully everything is how it should be. @mbarber84
yeah they’re definitely incorrect.
The glue strip versions of the Fleetguard AF27684 are a recent thing. Fleetguard subbed their manufacture out to a plant in Mexico, instead of the one in the USA. When that happened, the product changed. This happened somewhere around December 2023. Supposedly they started making them in the states again. IMG_4652.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread