Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Regen

Glassman

Reaction score
Who has found a solution to the frequent regens on their 22 and ups? Mine has been going into auto regen every 30-100mi. No codes, no check engine light, and it has current updates. Mine is a 22 2500 with 7500mi. The fuel mileage went from 20ish to 11ish. I replaced the air filter with a new K&N yesterday so I will wait to see if that helps. I did not have the filter with glue strips.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I would ditch that K&N filter asap, they don’t filter enough to not cause long term damage to the engine.

Get a 53034051AB filter from Mopar.

What’s your driving style?

Are you making oil?

When was the last time you towed sometime decent for at least 100 miles?

When you get an active regen message do you drive until it completes? Or does it get interrupted?

jasmith348

Reaction score
Nope.

My dealer has had my truck 2.5 months, I gave them a list of like 9 things to check, all were fine allegedly. They talked to STAR, they suggested some diagnostic tests, the truck passed those (third STAR case for this truck). My dealer is sticking with the story that some sort of software update from RAM is in the works and the main problem is due to the sudden widespread use of B20 biodisel vs. nonbiodisel or B5 biodiesel. These trucks need "recalibrating". In the meanwhile I bought a different daily driver and the truck will not see nearly as many city miles. I think that's complete crap that I have to do that, but it is what it is. Need it to pull our 5th wheel.

In the end, this mysterious software update is supposed to fix it, I guess.

Reaction score
It’s so wild. I’m on 3k miles and my DPF is always at 0. Once in a while it hits 10% but always drops down to zero.
Haven’t towed a thing yet and only hauled a bit here and there. Lots of city/stop&go driving. But when I’m on the highway, I always get to 80mph. I also always drive with the exhaust brake on and use it all the time to stop in city driving. Not sure if this helps but that’s what I’ve been doing. Also hoping I’m bit just lucky or early miles and the problem shows up soon.

jasmith348

Reaction score
It’s so wild. I’m on 3k miles and my DPF is always at 0. Once in a while it hits 10% but always drops down to zero.
Haven’t towed a thing yet and only hauled a bit here and there. Lots of city/stop&go driving. But when I’m on the highway, I always get to 80mph. I also always drive with the exhaust brake on and use it all the time to stop in city driving. Not sure if this helps but that’s what I’ve been doing. Also hoping I’m bit just lucky or early miles and the problem shows up soon.
My issue didnt pop up until around 26k miles. Truck currently has 31k on it.

firemansdiesel

Reaction score
Nope.

My dealer has had my truck 2.5 months, I gave them a list of like 9 things to check, all were fine allegedly. They talked to STAR, they suggested some diagnostic tests, the truck passed those (third STAR case for this truck). My dealer is sticking with the story that some sort of software update from RAM is in the works and the main problem is due to the sudden widespread use of B20 biodisel vs. nonbiodisel or B5 biodiesel. These trucks need "recalibrating". In the meanwhile I bought a different daily driver and the truck will not see nearly as many city miles. I think that's complete crap that I have to do that, but it is what it is. Need it to pull our 5th wheel.

In the end, this mysterious software update is supposed to fix it, I guess.
Your dealer not too truthful with the Biodiesel claim. I’ve been using Renewable diesel since new on my ‘22 with 16,000+ miles. No issues and my regens are aligned with the 24hr engine counter. Usually around 950 miles between regens. Matter of fact my DPF guage has not moved from zero on this current engine hour time and I’m coming up on my 24hrs in 3 hrs.

Maybe my truck is a unicorn to this point, but finally got all my recalls done and nothing changed.

jasmith348

Reaction score
Your dealer not too truthful with the Biodiesel claim. I’ve been using Renewable diesel since new on my ‘22 with 16,000+ miles. No issues and my regens are aligned with the 24hr engine counter. Usually around 950 miles between regens. Matter of fact my DPF guage has not moved from zero on this current engine hour time and I’m coming up on my 24hrs in 3 hrs.

Maybe my truck is a unicorn to this point, but finally got all my recalls done and nothing changed.
Yeah I don’t know. I have seen some comments on diesel quality being important in this issue. And that can be a regional thing (I’m in Alabama).

To their credit, they did suggest a few places that the head diesel tech says have good quality fuel. I figure it’s worth buying from there and see what happens. I do have a hard time believing bioblend is the real problem since it’s been around a while.

CaptainMike

Reaction score
Yeah I don’t know. I have seen some comments on diesel quality being important in this issue. And that can be a regional thing (I’m in Alabama).

To their credit, they did suggest a few places that the head diesel tech says have good quality fuel. I figure it’s worth buying from there and see what happens. I do have a hard time believing bioblend is the real problem since it’s been around a while.
I've never knowingly used a bio-blend and have run the gamut of diesel brands, additive/no additive, 90% mountain highway driving, high speed driving, and used the cold weather grill cover to increase engine/EGT with absolutely no change in the frequent regen frequency. The only time I've seen a change is when towing a heavy load, but with this problem getting progressively worse I doubt even that would be much different. Meanwhile, whatever the cause, my crankcase is being diluted with about a quart of fuel for ever 150 - 200 miles driven, with 1 - 2 regens in that span. I have long suspected a programming glitch, and while it may be coincidental I didn't notice my regen issue until after the DPF sensor/reflash recall. I've had several STAR cases and they seem to fiddle with the same things every time, and completely ignore the dilution issue. They seem to be chasing butterflies and avoiding the big problem. Maybe they're just stalling until that code can be written, but it's getting very expensive to drain and refill my engine oil, not to mention what potential damage is occurring.

Dinky503

Reaction score
Check your oil level. My 22' has been gaining fuel in oil as well. About 2+ quarts every 500 miles, at the dealership and STAR is involved. I believe My regen issue is based off of that. I found about 6 trucks 2022s with over 20k with injector or HPFP issues.

Glassman

Reaction score
I would ditch that K&N filter asap, they don’t filter enough to not cause long term damage to the engine.

Get a 53034051AB filter from Mopar.

What’s your driving style?

Are you making oil?

When was the last time you towed sometime decent for at least 100 miles?

When you get an active regen message do you drive until it completes? Or does it get interrupted?
Driving habits are 60% light highway and the rest have been towing. I just pulled a decent 220mi load up hills and it regened twice. There isn’t much choice but to interrupt the regen at times when it is in regen more than it’s not.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I drove from Utah back to Idaho today and when I left UT the DPF gauge was at 25% from all the short trips between the hotel and work.

Anyways, within a few miles of leaving I was averaging 70-75. It took 30 or 40 miles for the gauge to drop to 12.5%, and it wasn’t until I bumped up to 85 and climbed a hill that the gauge dropped to 0%. That was 105 miles after I left.

Unfortunately for the DPF there just isn’t enough heat for passive regen to occur rapidly at highway speed, it takes interstate speeds and then some, when empty.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score

“Renewable Diesel” and “Biodiesel” are nothing alike except that they both are sourced from biomass sources. Aside from that, they are fundamentally different and have vastly different characteristics pre and post combustion.

Renewable diesel is a drop-in replacement for hydrocarbon fuel like ULSD and is virtually indistinguishable from its petroleum based counterpart.

Biodiesel (also known as FAME biodiesel) has vastly different characteristics than conventional petroleum fuel or renewable fuel. Most biodiesel is sold as a “blend” that is mixed with petroleum fuel and giving a rating percentage like B20, B5 etc. (where the number represents the percentage of bio mixed in). Our 2019+ trucks are rated up to B20 compatibility, however regular use of fuel above B5 requires a significant change in maintenance intervals, as it has some less than desirable effects on the truck.

What the dealer is suggesting has merit. If you log data extensively on these trucks (like I do) you will see that the use of higher percentages of Biodiesel in these trucks has negative impacts on fuel economy, increases the need for more frequent regeneration cycles, reduces the effectiveness and ability for passive regeneration, and also increases fuel dilution in the engine oil.

I was dealing with a frequent regeneration issue for several months. Through my own research and experience, I was able to correct the issue primarily by switching where I buy my fuel. The previous station used a much higher percentage of biodiesel in their fuel, while the new station has very little biodiesel in the fuel at all. (B2 or 2% biodiesel is state-mandated in Pennsylvania)

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
“Renewable Diesel” and “Biodiesel” are nothing alike except that they both are sourced from biomass sources. Aside from that, they are fundamentally different and have vastly different characteristics pre and post combustion.

Renewable diesel is a drop-in replacement for hydrocarbon fuel like ULSD and is virtually indistinguishable from its petroleum based counterpart.

Biodiesel (also known as FAME biodiesel) has vastly different characteristics than conventional petroleum fuel or renewable fuel. Most biodiesel is sold as a “blend” that is mixed with petroleum fuel and giving a rating percentage like B20, B5 etc. (where the number represents the percentage of bio mixed in). Our 2019+ trucks are rated up to B20 compatibility, however regular use of fuel above B5 requires a significant change in maintenance intervals, as it has some less than desirable effects on the truck.

What the dealer is suggesting has merit. If you log data extensively on these trucks (like I do) you will see that the use of higher percentages of Biodiesel in these trucks has negative impacts on fuel economy, increases the need for more frequent regeneration cycles, reduces the effectiveness and ability for passive regeneration, and also increases fuel dilution in the engine oil.

I was dealing with a frequent regeneration issue for several months. Through my own research and experience, I was able to correct the issue primarily by switching where I buy my fuel. The previous station used a much higher percentage of biodiesel in their fuel, while the new station has very little biodiesel in the fuel at all. (B2 or 2% biodiesel is state-mandated in Pennsylvania)

Isn't renewable diesel made primarily from wood slash?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Isn't renewable diesel made primarily from wood slash?
From what I’ve gathered, plant oils and fats still seem to be the primary feedstock (soybean oil being one). However there are multiple different sources that can be used to produce the fuel. The biggest difference is in the final product. Renewable is still a hydrocarbon fuel when it’s all said and done, and that makes a big difference in how it functions / combusts in the truck.

firemansdiesel

Reaction score

I realize the difference, but it‘s made up to 20% biodiesel mixed in the renewable diesel.

Units

Reaction score
Man, sure seems the ‘22s are having lots of problems. Not to rub salt in the wound but I’m glad I have a ‘23, looks like I dodged a bullet. Hopefully a software update is truly in the works and fixes the issues these trucks are having.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Man, sure seems the ‘22s are having lots of problems. Not to rub salt in the wound but I’m glad I have a ‘23, looks like I dodged a bullet. Hopefully a software update is truly in the works and fixes the issues these trucks are having.
2022’s represent 60% of the trucks on my frequent regeneration tracking spreadsheet.

I’m not convinced that a software update is going to fix the issue. It’s hard to adjust engine values based on the performance characteristics of one particular fuel alone. I was able to switch fuel sources and get away from higher biodiesel content. My truck is a 2022 that is daily driven and rarely towing. Sees a mix of highway and local. The higher bio content fuel was definitely contributing to more frequent regeneration, but I was able to buy from a different source and now the truck only regenerates on the 24 hour timed cycles. (Roughly 950 miles average between them)

Users who are viewing this thread