Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RECALL: 2020 to 2023 Ram 2500/3500 – Transmission Fluid Leak May Cause Fire:

JustBruce

Reaction score
The fix....move the dipstick to the intake side of the motor.
I was just told that it was being fixed with a shorter dipstick tube. Sounds like a bandaid, not a fix. It just stops the leak from getting up to the top of the engine where it will catch on fire?

BlueOx2500

Reaction score
Anybody have a guess as to approx what trans temp you can expect to have fluid start barfing out of the tranny?

flan

Reaction score
Anybody have a guess as to approx what trans temp you can expect to have fluid start barfing out of the tranny?
I been up about 215 climbing a mountain to 6k’ before the early 19 recall and no barfage.
Are those really it? I can't help but wonder like others if this is just a band-aid...do the transmissions usually just puke fluid on the ground via the vent on top and keep on truckin'?
Like I said, allegedly. It was posted in a 5th gen cummins FB group, it does fit the description of what the fix is.

Nd79

Reaction score
End of recall dipstick:

View attachment 49494
Thanks for getting this info onto here. Man I hope the new dipstick still allows fluid level check otherwise trans services might get interesting.

Just speculation after reading that procedure but maybe the new locking dipstick is shortened to 15" for some reason, maybe dipstick tube as well?

Guess I'll have to see when my truck or one on the forum gets the recall done.

blbrown

Reaction score
How and why would someone steal your dipstick

Riddick

Reaction score
Great info guys, keep it coming. @flan, good tip on removing dipstick prior to service. I plan on servicing transmission myself and will definitely need one. Also, I think the dipsticks are the same from 07+ so there will be replacements available for purchase, Genos has them for around 20 dollars.

Last edited:

jsalbre

Reaction score
I’d bet you money that the reason the new one is shorter is because they found that part already in production somewhere and it fit the end of the tube. This would be extremely fast for them to have designed, tested, and produced an entirely new part.

Last edited:

Nd79

Reaction score
Yeah.... I plan on doing my own transmission services too so I'll pull mine in the parking lot prior to this being done. Just in case.

MegaStro

Reaction score
Will be interesting if you have this recall completed and have a tranny breakdown due to low fluid levels. They took the simple act of checking fluid level away AFTER the sale.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Pull in to your dealer, pull your dipstick, put it behind your seat and go check the truck in for service. If they call you out play dumb. ;)
Don't forget to bring a rag to wipe it down first lol

NVYCHF

Reaction score
To All , a Happy New Year, I wish All ofYou the very best!!

Just went through this process today. Truck has 20k on it; 2022, CC, SO CTD, 4WD, SB. The Tech took the truck to the bay, never pulled it in, did the repairs in the main aisle on a creeper (vent tube). He pulled the Dip stick and replaced in with a 15 inch metal stick with a locking cap. On the new dip stick, it states that this is not for checking fluid levels, as seen in previous posts. I was able to get my OEM stick back to use as a service tool. They are supposed to provide you with a insert for your Owners Manual; pages 10 and 11 (insert number 21-ZA-31-820) It took some work to get mine. Service advisor nor the Service manager could get it, had to wait till the technician came back from lunch to get it. However, if you ask for the dip stick back, they should have not problem giving it to you. Btw way, on my recall invoice it is called an “Indicator-Engine Oil Level.

Be Safe,
Randy

Attachments

• 4ACDE758-DE55-4DF4-98BF-4ADD78427D1B.jpeg
    4ACDE758-DE55-4DF4-98BF-4ADD78427D1B.jpeg
    327.3 KB · Views: 30

Users who are viewing this thread