Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RECALL: 2020 to 2023 Ram 2500/3500 – Transmission Fluid Leak May Cause Fire:

rb92673

Reaction score
I picked up my truck from two other recalls the day this came out. Meh.

Not too worried about it, I have towed about 4500 miles and have never seen the trans temp get higher than 170 even over mountain passes.

SeaBee-1

Reaction score
Is there a fix for this yet? Mine goes in for the Z87 recall soon, so may have them check/do it at the same time?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Zip tie a bag around the end of a dipstick, if it starts puking oil, it will go in the bag, that is until RAM figures out a fix.

Most zip-tie the dipstick into the tube.

Wouldn't the bag melt under there?

near the turbo? Um, yea.

Don't know how close the dipstick is to anything hot. Mine is Aisin

68RFE is on the turbo (HOT) side.

Aisin is on the intake side.

Kind of a big difference as it relates to surrounding heat/ignition sources.

Razzman

Reaction score
15,800 miles and of that 11,000 miles are towing. Never seen above 170 and we pull over the Sierras to get anywhere it seems. This is interesting, watch the video and listen to what they say.
ATS Diesel Doomsday Device

6.7 Bluey

Reaction score
I admit I wanted the engine and was forced to accept the wrapper it came in. I’m now three recalls in and a def problem that keeps putting me in limp mode. Every manufacturer has their issues, but I spent 3/4 of a million miles staring out of a Ford and was never left walking. This is the second dodge that has left me walking. Frankly, I hope the damn thing catches fire so I can go back to Ford. Save your Ram love and bye Felicia’s. Thanks to interest rates and insanely high acquisition costs, I’m in this marriage for years to come.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Sorry about your luck, mine has ZERO issues and all the recalls done.
I wanted Cummins but I did my research over the years and I couldn't trust Chrysler transmission, no matter how they improved it it's still inferior comparing to Aisin. As a bonus I've got a HO Cummins attached to the Aisin. Went after the transmission, didn't care much if it was an HO or SO.

n00ber

Reaction score
I admit I wanted the engine and was forced to accept the wrapper it came in. I’m now three recalls in and a def problem that keeps putting me in limp mode. Every manufacturer has their issues, but I spent 3/4 of a million miles staring out of a Ford and was never left walking. This is the second dodge that has left me walking. Frankly, I hope the damn thing catches fire so I can go back to Ford. Save your Ram love and bye Felicia’s. Thanks to interest rates and insanely high acquisition costs, I’m in this marriage for years to come.
yea its ruthless out there right now with pricing and rates. The accord I got has a 5.9% interest, going to have to keep an eye on rates and see if someone drops low enough to refinance.
I get having a recall but the third broke the camels back for me.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
yea its ruthless out there right now with pricing and rates. The accord I got has a 5.9% interest, going to have to keep an eye on rates and see if someone drops low enough to refinance.
Well at least now you could brag about the fuel mileage. :D

sn_85

Reaction score
Ugh this is making me nervous. Just picked up my 22' BH 2500 6.7CTD 2 months ago and had some big plans for it. My first non-Toyota vehicle I've purchased so I hope this doesn't give me a bad impression of Ram. I got it for a fair price with good interest rates so I'll just have to wait to see how this pans out. Trading it in for a new vehicle at this point would be a big loss considering the used market and high interest rates. I'm in it now and will just need to see how Ram addresses the issue before making any big decisions.

SeaBee-1

Reaction score
Sorry about your luck, but if you bought an Accord, sounds like you didn’t really need an HD truck anyways. I’ve have great luck with my Hondas and Acura’s!!

n00ber

Reaction score
Sorry about your luck, but if you bought an Accord, sounds like you didn’t really need an HD truck anyways. I’ve have great luck with my Hondas and Acura’s!!
Pretty much, plans went down the drain for it so it wasn't a major loss for me but others aren't so lucky.

Xflight29

Reaction score
The only issue I have with Ford is they just can't stick with one engine. Ford has had 8 different diesel engines since 1982 as where Cummins has had 2 with minor upgrades. And I honestly believe if it wasn't for the NOx gases system, Cummins would still have the 5.9 in all their HD trucks.

Will_T

Reaction score
Anybody installed this?:

This has come up in a couple of other threads and even though it may do what it says, it is way overpriced. With my driving and smaller TT, I hope the likelihood of it happening is almost not there. I wonder if the dealer can make you do the recall? It seems like a fix will require opening up the transmission and mucking around and then putting it all back together perfectly. I am way more concerned about our local dealer doing that correctly! But maybe it is not a big deal, even for a less experience tech? Still, our dealer does not inspire confidence and is so understaffed, $100.00 or making your own "doomsday divice" may be a better option for people here in our city. I suppose I can also wait until the dealer has done several with the hope that they get better with experience. But someone pointed out the possibility that the first few may be done by their best techs with the rookies watching. Then with a later fix, it will be the luck of the draw and you may get a tech opening up their 1st transmission.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
This has come up in a couple of other threads and even though it may do what it says, it is way overpriced. With my driving and smaller TT, I hope the likelihood of it happening is almost not there. I wonder if the dealer can make you do the recall? It seems like a fix will require opening up the transmission and mucking around and then putting it all back together perfectly. I am way more concerned about our local dealer doing that correctly! But maybe it is not a big deal, even for a less experience tech? Still, our dealer does not inspire confidence and is so understaffed, $100.00 or making your own "doomsday divice" may be a better option for people here in our city. I suppose I can also wait until the dealer has done several with the hope that they get better with experience. But someone pointed out the possibility that the first few may be done by their best techs with the rookies watching. Then with a later fix, it will be the luck of the draw and you may get a tech opening up their 1st transmission.
I’m gonna guess it’s as simple as the vent assembly on top of the transmission.

Users who are viewing this thread