Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rattle Noise In Cab

Snapper1973

Reaction score
I'm shocked you would buy one that rattled when you test drove it. I guess it doesn't bother you?
It drives me crazy. Every mega cab I drove does it. Even the dealers owner says his does. Sad but if you want a new cummins and a mega cab you suffer until the fix is available.

bigrobtemp

Reaction score
Mine was built in late August and I don't hear any rattles. I have about 1600 miles on crappy Michigan roads.

Sigo

Reaction score
Truck is still at the dealership. This morning I got an update that they replaced one cab mount but rattle is still there. They are convinced that there are some baffles under the floor that are causing the rattle. They were able to get to all of the baffles - except one - to secure them down with some sort of sealant. They are having trouble getting to the fifth(?) baffle without "cutting a hole." I told them I didn't want them cutting a hole in the truck. They're still working on it...
Just getting back to this. Bottom line, they replaced one cab mount and tried to fix some slop in some baffles under the truck. Rattle is still there. My email to the service manager:

"Thank you for your attention to this matter. I'll describe the damage as shown in the photos:

1) Photo 1: Drivers side rear seat. Foam material on cable is ripped. This cable is found on the rear side of the rear seat and controls either the recline or fold mechanism.
2) Photo 2: Scratch on drivers side rear seat. This panel is on the outboard side and covers the hinge mechanism.
3) Photo 3: Grease stain on rear floor mat. May be able to be cleaned.
4) Photo 4: Scratch on drivers side B-pillar trim.
5) Photo 5: Not sure what this is or where it goes but was left under the rear floor mat.
6) Photo 6: Scratch on passenger side B-pillar trim.
7) Photo 7: Scratch on passenger side rear door trim at bottom of door on "map pocket."
8) Photo 8: Grease on drivers side front carpet and floor mat.
9) Photo 9: Scratch on seat frame - bottom, passenger side, rear, outboard, closest to floor.

I brought the truck in to have the "cab mount rattle" fixed and UConnect updated. Eighteen days in the shop and I don't think the rattle issue is resolved as I heard it a couple of times on my way home yesterday but will confirm with more time in the truck. I understand Chrysler is producing new body mounts and are due out at the end of the year. I'd prefer to wait for those to be available before we try to tackle this again. The truck is basically brand new and no one has ridden in the back seat since new as it's just me and my wife. I noticed most of the damage yesterday when I picked up the truck but it was getting late so I didn't address it at the time. The back of the truck was still pretty dirty, particularly behind the seat, with body shop dust so I spent over an hour cleaning it today and that's when I noted the other damage. In addition to the damage, two new problems have been created:
1) The passenger side rear seat, when going from fold-flat back to the "normal" position has two "clicks" so that the two sides of the rear seat do not line up when both seats are in the "normal" position. A little hard to describe but easily demonstrated.
2) When putting the rear seats into the fold-flat position, the carpeted trim pieces that go from vertical to horizontal as the seat goes down, do not go down with the seats. They are catching on the adjacent seat. It won't be long before the carpet is going to wear through as a result.

Happy to discuss any time."

99ls1tj

Reaction score
I had to new rear cab mounts installed on my truck recently. At first the rattle was gone, but now it's back just as bad as before. There is one spot in the road close to my house I almost always hear the rattle. The second time I took my truck in for this the dealer tightened the cab bolts and thought he fixed it. I thought it was fixed too. I went a couple days and did not hear it in the usual spot in the road. Then it came back. Almost the exact same story with the new cab mounts. The noise went away for a few days and then came right back.

g00fy

Reaction score
My truck is going in to the dealership again Monday for a high pitched squeak on cold starts, but i'm also having look at another buzz/rattle coming from the engine bay by the windshield that they already looked at once, and this rattle which they also looked at already and claimed it was caused by my loose running boards... I tried to give the girl on the phone the Star Case number listed in this thread but she just kept dodging it when I'd say I have a star case number for reference... We'll see how it goes, my guess is they won't be able to replicate the squeak pulley squeak, and windshield rattle. The rear body mount clunk is way too loud and consistent to say that they can't replicate it.

GulfCoastRam

Reaction score
I picked my truck up from the dealer this afternoon along with the rattle. It was there just a day short of two weeks with a new set of cab mounts in hand arranged by Mark from RamCares but they were not installed. The dealer produced documentation from FCA stating that a service notification to address the rattle is expected to be released in the 4th quarter of 2020.

Attachments

• 20201008_192716.jpg
    20201008_192716.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 66

flan

Reaction score
Nice, between this and the AC fix things are looking up!

99ls1tj

Reaction score
I picked my truck up from the dealer this afternoon along with the rattle. It was there just a day short of two weeks with a new set of cab mounts in hand arranged by Mark from RamCares but they were not installed. The dealer produced documentation from FCA stating that a service notification to address the rattle is expected to be released in the 4th quarter of 2020.

Thanks for the update. Did you "white out" the case number of did the dealer? Just curious why it's not shown? Thanks

GulfCoastRam

Reaction score
Thanks for the update. Did you "white out" the case number of did the dealer? Just curious why it's not shown? Thanks
I deleted the case number, it was the same case number as mentioned in a previous post. Apparently they are not creating a new case for each vehicle but referencing back to this one particular case.

Ramit530

Reaction score
I deleted the case number, it was the same case number as mentioned in a previous post. Apparently they are not creating a new case for each vehicle but referencing back to this one particular case.
GulfCoastRam can you share the Case Number? I have looked and can not find it

Nfryan

Reaction score
Purchased a 2019 Cummins mega cab left over last month. Same issue. I live on a bumpy gravel road. You can hear the noise the whole way until I hit pavement. Hope the revised cab mounts are released soon with a service bulletin.

DP3500

Reaction score
picked up my 2020 in early sept, truck was just built and sent to dealer from the line. I have about 4k miles on it already, rattle has been here the entire time. has air ride suspension, rattle to me sounds like its coming from the rear end. really been driving me nuts. hope they find something soon because my dealer is about as useful as poppy flavored lollipop. Anyone know a great dealer in New England?

Cummins3

Reaction score
I have same truck same rattle most likely the cab mounts the updated ones do same thing just need to wait for fix. I do have a decent dealer in NE pm me

DP3500

Reaction score
picked up my 2020 in early sept, truck was just built and sent to dealer from the line. I have about 4k miles on it already, rattle has been here the entire time. has air ride suspension, rattle to me sounds like its coming from the rear end. really been driving me nuts. hope they find something soon because my dealer is about as useful as poppy flavored lollipop. Anyone know a great dealer in New England?
Damn auto correct, "Poopy flavored Lollipop"

TIBEACHBUM

Reaction score
I have a 2020 ccsb 2500 tradesman. I had the rear cab mounts replaced early August at 1700 miles by dealer. Just dropped it off again today at 4200 miles and the noise is back but not near as loud or often as the first time. The first replacements were wonderful until about 1000 miles got put on the truck, since then the noise has been getting slowly worse and worse. Seems worst when no fuel is in the tank and running light.

99ls1tj

Reaction score
I have a 2020 ccsb 2500 tradesman. I had the rear cab mounts replaced early August at 1700 miles by dealer. Just dropped it off again today at 4200 miles and the noise is back but not near as loud or often as the first time. The first replacements were wonderful until about 1000 miles got put on the truck, since then the noise has been getting slowly worse and worse. Seems worst when no fuel is in the tank and running light.
Are they replacing the mounts again?

TIBEACHBUM

Reaction score
Are they replacing the mounts again?
Haven't heard yet from the dealer. Dropped off at 9am... they work til 4 and I didn't have an appointment. Im hoping to hear something tomorrow. Last time it was next day and they applied the noise isolators all over the truck. I know certain dealers don't have them but here in st pete last time they started with placing the isolators all over the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread