Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RamCares Cp4 service solution updates - (Y78) CP4 recall issued by FCA - 2020 Parts Available May 10

MtnRider

Reaction score
This really showcasing how RAM willing to deal with issue vs. FORD and GM whose rather lawyer up then taking care of their customers.

This really showcase's what happens when the NHTSB gets involved and forces your hand...... Not like Ram did this on their own (and they had plenty of opportunity to do so).

MikeXM

Reaction score
This really showcasing how RAM willing to deal with issue vs. FORD and GM whose rather lawyer up then taking care of their customers. My next question is that should I change my fuel filter that's up for maintenance? It's not miles (only 4k) but the 12-month period. I am just thinking for the inspection aspect of this recall; if they found metal shaving, will it trigger their protocol to inspect the fuel components further down the line to ensure all my fuel line and injector is not damaged?

Should be go back to the old post and read those absolutely non-sense crying and screaming messages directed to Ramcare?

Question is... did this happened because the NHTSB got involved?

diablo82

Reaction score
Question is... did this happened because the NHTSB got involved?
Could be. But why NHTSB couldn't get involved in Ford and GM case or have them to do anything about their pump?

diablo82

Reaction score
They did until ford and gm lawyered up
So RAM choose not to lawyered up and do the right thing to their customers instead. Look, I am simply looking at the end result here. I am sure there were many conversations and money talk between internal attorneys and accountants before RAM make the decision to work with NHTSB. But in the end, we, the ram customers, that going to get taken care of for this pump issue but not the Ford/GM customers. Now I just hope that they swaping us with the latest CP3.xxx and not the one big dimple pump.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
So RAM choose not to lawyered up and do the right thing to their customers instead. Look, I am simply looking at the end result here. I am sure there were many conversations and money talk between internal attorneys and accountants before RAM make the decision to work with NHTSB. But in the end, we, the ram customers, that going to get taken care of for this pump issue but not the Ford/GM customers. Now I just hope that they swaping us with the latest CP3.xxx and not the one big dimple pump.
Their replacement range seems to show all cp4s not just the originals but thats to be determined, apparently according to an article i read this morning FCA were already looking in to a recall but that could be a load of crap to look good

UglyViking

Reaction score
Two big things to consider that are different from Ram to Ford/GM.

#1 - Ford is still using the CP4. GM switched to Denso with the release of the L5P. Both are easily defendable arguments for why they are still using or moved away from the CP4. Ram did that CP3 swap inline of production, without any major engine revisions/changes, after only two years. That is a very hard position to defend from a legal perspective.

#2 - It's very likely that Ford/GM have not seen the sort of failure rate that Ram has experienced. This can likely be explained by the Ram version of the CP4 being overdriven by 50%, leading to a much higher failure rate.

I am glad that Ram is "doing the right thing" but let's not kid ourselves that it's out of the goodness of their heart, if it was it wouldn't have taken the NHTSA getting involved at all.

Now, that said I do think it's great that Ram is doing the replacement. They are also refunding those that have purchased CP3 swap kits, which is awesome.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Two big things to consider that are different from Ram to Ford/GM.

#1 - Ford is still using the CP4. GM switched to Denso with the release of the L5P. Both are easily defendable arguments for why they are still using or moved away from the CP4. Ram did that CP3 swap inline of production, without any major engine revisions/changes, after only two years. That is a very hard position to defend from a legal perspective.

#2 - It's very likely that Ford/GM have not seen the sort of failure rate that Ram has experienced. This can likely be explained by the Ram version of the CP4 being overdriven by 50%, leading to a much higher failure rate.

I am glad that Ram is "doing the right thing" but let's not kid ourselves that it's out of the goodness of their heart, if it was it wouldn't have taken the NHTSA getting involved at all.

Now, that said I do think it's great that Ram is doing the replacement. They are also refunding those that have purchased CP3 swap kits, which is awesome.
Where do you see they are refunding people who swapped pumps to CP3? All i see is people who paid for the failure replacement out of pocket will be refunded not people who sourced other pumps

diablo82

Reaction score
Where do you see they are refunding people who swapped pumps to CP3? All i see is people who paid for the failure replacement out of pocket will be refunded not people who sourced other pumps
Can those with aftermarket pump swap back to factory one and take it to the dealership? If they kept the original one of course...

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Don't think they would reimburse anyone who's swapped to an aftermarket pump. Only those who had to pay out of pocket when they were denied warranty claim for HP pump for lame reasons like "bad fuel", etc.
And if I did swap to an aftermarket, I'd swap back to get the original replaced and have a spare, or at least call your dealer and see if they would swap parts off the truck to a new pump, without having installing them on.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211117-093232.jpg
    Screenshot_20211117-093232.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 49

UglyViking

Reaction score
It says right in the safety recall report:
FCA US has a longstanding policy and practice of reimbursing owners who have incurred the cost of repairing a problem that subsequently becomes the subject of a field action. To ensure consistency, FCA US, as part of the owner letter, will request that customers send the original receipt and/or other adequate proof of payment to the company for confirmation of the expense.

How on earth could they prove that your CP4 did or did not fail? This exact same thing happened with the 4th gen trucks and the drag link. If an owner purchased an aftermarket drag link (like the synergy units) then they could get reimbursed for the cost from FCA by filing a reimbursement request.

The language within the recall makes no mention of needing to provide proof of a failed unit, just that you spent the cash on it. You can choose to read the above however you would like, but history backs my position.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Can those with aftermarket pump swap back to factory one and take it to the dealership? If they kept the original one of course...
Thats a lot of work for minimal gain in my mind, especially since we don't know what pump we will get yet

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
It says right in the safety recall report:

How on earth could they prove that your CP4 did or did not fail? This exact same thing happened with the 4th gen trucks and the drag link. If an owner purchased an aftermarket drag link (like the synergy units) then they could get reimbursed for the cost from FCA by filing a reimbursement request.

The language within the recall makes no mention of needing to provide proof of a failed unit, just that you spent the cash on it. You can choose to read the above however you would like, but history backs my position.
Good point i forgot about the draglink situation perhaps it is a possibility for reimbursement on aftermarket pumps that would be cool for others

Users who are viewing this thread