Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RamCares Cp4 service solution updates - (Y78) CP4 recall issued by FCA - 2020 Parts Available May 10

Fwgolden

Reaction score
Just went in for "inspection" and parts ordered. We will see how this goes... Stay tuned...

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I saw this posted elsewhere, it may help explain how some 2019‘s are getting done and others not. View attachment 39841

They must be prioritizing 2019 that haven't had those done, all include a PCM update. Only W03 (68RFE valve body) also included hard parts, the rest were engine recalibration updates.

Here's the full TSB doc. This is available on NHTSA https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

Here's the related letter to dealers to perform those open recalls first. I think that's why 2019 are getting rejected.

Put in your VIN and hit search. For those with no open recalls (mine), there's a "Learn More" below the VIN search box that will take you to all the related TSB and recall info. https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2020/RAM/3500

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
I am experiencing a noticeable clicking sound (maybe once a second or more) after getting the CP3 pump installed. It goes away when the engine is fully warmed up, like after 30 minutes of driving. Has anyone else noticed this?

MEGA HO

Reaction score
I haven't had ANY recalls done on my 19' truck so it means I'm good to go. Well know for sure once I get home in a few weeks time

polcat

Reaction score
I'm flabbergasted on how keeping up with previous recalls affects the new fuel pump. The pessimist side of me thinks this is a means to artificially delay repairs and to stretch out the limited supply of parts.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm flabbergasted on how keeping up with previous recalls affects the new fuel pump. The pessimist side of me thinks this is a means to artificially delay repairs and to stretch out the limited supply of parts.

I'm speculating they've had some PCM flashes go sideways and bricked them...\

Reed

Reaction score
just called another dealer and got the parts ordered, was told they should arrive in about a week. o_O
I went in yesterday to get my pump replaced, they kept it a day and said this was only a inspection. The pump will have to be ordered and they can only order one pump every 14 days because they are on back order. Also there is no fix yet for the 2019 models, only 2020 models. With a quarter million models in recall, it’s going to take years if each dealership can order 2 a month.

KBob

Reaction score
Parts are in, Said Mon, Tues next week. Takes 5 hours, will by done by the end of the day if I get it in early. Negotiating for a loaner car as the dealer is an hour away.

crawlex

Reaction score
I took my truck in a few weeks ago to have recalls completed, they completed the W03 recall, as well as several others and performed the HPFP "inspection".

I am scheduled for the HPFP replacement next week, but according to documents posted here they were supposed to complete the HPFP (Y78) recall before completing W03... My dealer is doing the work in the opposite order instructed by Ram... I don't understand how a transmission recall affects the HPFP, but what should I do about this?

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I took my truck in a few weeks ago to have recalls completed, they completed the W03 recall, as well as several others and performed the HPFP "inspection".

I am scheduled for the HPFP replacement next week, but according to documents posted here they were supposed to complete the HPFP (Y78) recall before completing W03... My dealer is doing the work in the opposite order instructed by Ram... I don't understand how a transmission recall affects the HPFP, but what should I do about this?
What year is the truck

Randyhut

Reaction score
The way i read the recall it seemed that doing the W03 prior to the Y78 would damage the cp4 pump, my assumption is that the PCM update done with the W03 is the issue. If i am correct, (my not be) then replacing the CP4 with a CP3 would not hurt the transmission. My truck ran fine until they did the W03 without doing the Y78, then it started going downhill, and keep getting worse. It is in the dealership now, we will see. They don't want to tell you anything.

Craelex,
Let us know if it starts missing and or bucking on you!
Randy

KBob

Reaction score
Well, it's home.
60 highway miles each way, 22MPG both ways.
My first impression was I felt some motor vibration in the steering wheel at idle that I hadn't felt before? It may have gotten better since I got home though. We'll see what a cold start does in the morning.
Very different sound to the pump. The new one might be a bit more noticeable than the CP4, but my old pump must have been a good one because it was almost silent.
Used my stethoscope on both pumps, and the new one has a distinctly different sound.
Leaving for 1000 miles of towing soon, so we shall see.................................

crawlex

Reaction score
Craelex,
Let us know if it starts missing and or bucking on you!
Randy

No, not at all…. In fact I towed an 8k trailer about 1500 miles after the W03 recall.

If anything I feel like the throttle response improved slightly after the recalls were performed. That might all be in my head though…

2019 w/ 11,000 miles. Recalls performed: V98, W03, Z08, Z20

Randyhut

Reaction score
The W03 pcm update may be asking for more fuel thinking it has a cp3 pump, may be the issue with doing it first

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The W03 pcm update may be asking for more fuel thinking it has a cp3 pump, may be the issue with doing it first
i have heard a possible rumor that something with that W03 update is causing the ECM to brick with the CP3.3 flash

Randyhut

Reaction score
i have heard a possible rumor that something with that W03 update is causing the ECM to brick with the CP3.3 flash
I hope not, they are working on mine now and I will need it soon. Don't they have the ability to roll it back to a previous update?

MikeXM

Reaction score
I hope not, they are working on mine now and I will need it soon. Don't they have the ability to roll it back to a previous update?
When its bricked, it's bricked... At least for the dealer. Usually what it means is software is corrupted, will not boot and the update process within that software is therefore no longer available so dealer can't load ANY version of the software.

There is a low level port for programming on pcb to fix this but they would need to open the ECM/PCM. Some are sealed. And to load the software from scratch it requires platform specific programming tools. Nothing that is found at dealers.

Best they can do is require another unit to swap promptly (providing they are stock). And they send your unit in to be reprogrammed and reused in another vehicle.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread