Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RamCares Cp4 service solution updates - (Y78) CP4 recall issued by FCA - 2020 Parts Available May 10

Wileykid

Reaction score
There is no reason RAM is not going to use the CP3 version that is in the '21- trucks with some kind of adapter, unless they are proving unreliable also, which we would have heard about by now. Why design and start production on a different CP4 with no proven record, and put it on 220K trucks when they already have something that works. Bosch only needs to ramp up the production of the existing line.

RAM is going to get rid of anything to do with the CP4 and put that headache in the past. It unfortunately took NHTSA to force there hand, but bet you they will say differently.

Mopar site shows my truck ('19 3500) as part of the recall now.

clawdog79

Reaction score
Recall already showed up in my app.
5713698a569a00081fae6d91844a601a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a link at the bottom of the recall page to “Submit Reimbursement”

I’m going to submit receipts for the CP3 conversion that was performed on my truck earlier this year and keep my fingers crossed.

REIMBURSEMENT REQUEST FORM
The safety and confidence of our owners is very important to us. As a result, from time to time we may recall or extend a warranty on a vehicle to correct a problem or improve overall performance. If you have incurred recall or extended warranty related costs, please use the form below to begin the reimbursement request process.

Please note that necessary repairs may vary by recall or extended warranty. In order to be considered for recall or extended warranty reimbursement, repairs must be similar and/or related to the information contained in the recall or extended warranty notice you have received. Reimbursement decisions will be handled on a case-by-case basis.

20Limited3500

Reaction score
Checked My Ram and it's there on mine, too. Along with the lugnut recall for duallys, that still has no resolutions yet. SMH

My_Ram.jpg

UglyViking

Reaction score
just checked and my 2020 with a 11/20 build date now shows the recall on the mopar site. i have the newest version of the cp4.2 symmetrical. glad to see it was included but also skeptical about what the fix is. i find it interesting the verbage used on different sources for the recall. my recall page says "replace the HPFP, update the Powertrain Control Module ("PCM") software, and inspect and, if necessary, replace additional fuel system components." while others have listed buyback of the entire engine. i just hope it is not another version of the cp4. i have to imagine if companies like s&s can build a bolt on cp3 kit mopar should be able to come up with something similar that gets their stamp of approval. on the other hand i wouldnt be opposed to them swapping my entire engine to a 21-22 engine with the newer fuel system, it just seems highly unlikely they would go to that expense over some sort of adapted hpfp replacement.
They will likely pull the HPFP regulator and look for metal debris. If they find some they may replace the injectors. If they find a lot of metal debris they may decide to swap the engine due to potential concerns around scaring in the cylinder walls depending on how bad. My understanding is that this was the process they used for the previous replacements and I find it unlikely they will change much.

I don't believe there are any differences between the 19 and 21 engines outside the pump, so it's likely just tuning. You may get the additional bump since that bump came the same year as the CP3 swap. Again, I'm assuming this is just tuning.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
The recall happened very quickly after the investigation started. Those investigations can take a while. It is just my opinion, but because of the timing, I believe Ram was already headed in this direction. I believe this is kicking them in the arse to get off the ball and get the logistics done to make it happen.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The recall happened very quickly after the investigation started. Those investigations can take a while. It is just my opinion, but because of the timing, I believe Ram was already headed in this direction. I believe this is kicking them in the arse to get off the ball and get the logistics done to make it happen.
They said they were working on a solution a while ago according to ramcares so i believe its been in the works which is great because it means that much more time for R&D on a retofit kit should they go that way

RV_Goose

Reaction score

They said they were working on a solution a while ago according to ramcares so i believe its been in the works which is great because it means that much more time for R&D on a retofit kit should they go that way
I believe they have to build a solution that can be competently handled at the dealership level. Remember who works atthe dealerships. Most competent mechanics leave dealerships and start their own business within 5-10 years.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
They will likely pull the HPFP regulator and look for metal debris. If they find some they may replace the injectors. If they find a lot of metal debris they may decide to swap the engine due to potential concerns around scaring in the cylinder walls depending on how bad. My understanding is that this was the process they used for the previous replacements and I find it unlikely they will change much.

I don't believe there are any differences between the 19 and 21 engines outside the pump, so it's likely just tuning. You may get the additional bump since that bump came the same year as the CP3 swap. Again, I'm assuming this is just tuning.
AISIN input shaft is bigger on the 2021+ 1075lb.ft.

Sent from my work avoidance device

jetrinka

Reaction score
Wow I am glad they are doing something for all the 19-20 guys. Hopefully the solution is one that will last as long as the Cummins its mated to.

Madmax

Reaction score
Been a GM truck owner my whole life, this is my first RAM (2019). Love the truck. Because of this recall it won't be my last. Thank you RAM for doing the right thing. I honestly had zero expectation it would be anything other than an extended warranty.

b1lanc

Reaction score
Looked mine up a few minutes ago and VIN is on both the Mopar and NHTSA sites. Makes me a tad happier.

Satx_Cummins

Reaction score
There is a link at the bottom of the recall page to “Submit Reimbursement”

I’m going to submit receipts for the CP3 conversion that was performed on my truck earlier this year and keep my fingers crossed.

REIMBURSEMENT REQUEST FORM
The safety and confidence of our owners is very important to us. As a result, from time to time we may recall or extend a warranty on a vehicle to correct a problem or improve overall performance. If you have incurred recall or extended warranty related costs, please use the form below to begin the reimbursement request process.

Please note that necessary repairs may vary by recall or extended warranty. In order to be considered for recall or extended warranty reimbursement, repairs must be similar and/or related to the information contained in the recall or extended warranty notice you have received. Reimbursement decisions will be handled on a case-by-case basis.

Awsome, please keep us updated. Thanks..!!

DMC1

Reaction score
RECALL shows for my 2020 as well.

Question: Would it seem feasible that as part of the recall the fuel filters would be changed since the actual system will be breached during repairs?

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
RECALL shows for my 2020 as well.

Question: Would it seem feasible that as part of the recall the fuel filters would be changed since the actual system will be breached during repairs?
Not likely thats not anything that would help anyway as the work is post filters unless they are changing the LP or tank, i have my doubts they would even check the filter canisters

Users who are viewing this thread