Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram Wireless Charger

KevoTheFord

Reaction score
Anyone else with the factory wireless charging having issues? I'm struggling to get the charger to continuously charge on my 1 month old truck using multiple apple iPhones. It will turn blue and charge initially then start flashing red on all of them. It doesn't seem to matter where I position the phones as the same thing happens on all of them. Frustrating as hell and the dealership is telling me there is nothing they can do about it.

I'll use a cord when using apple carplay on trips with our trailer but I don't want cords all over the place with a truck that I spent nearly 100k on.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you forcibly jammed your phone into the bottom of the slot?

I don't use mine, PITA and just utterly useless tech (where it is located) IMHO.

KevoTheFord

Reaction score
Have you forcibly jammed your phone into the bottom of the slot?

I don't use mine, PITA and just utterly useless tech (where it is located) IMHO.
Ya I have jammed it down and shifted it around. It might have to do with the phone size as my wife has an XS max and I have a 12 pro max and they are bigger, my work phone is an 11 and smaller it seems to have the best luck. I wish the truck had wireless carplay like the 22's look like they will have but it is what it is at this point.

anderson0172

Reaction score
I have wireless charging in my '21 3500 and I cannot get mine to work, it just flashes red. I am going to try to remove my phone cover and see what it does but my wireless charger in the house works just fine with the cover. I haven't really cared much about it as my phone is always plugged in to use Android Auto.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Same problem here. I stopped trying and got a wireless charging phone mount, works like a wireless charger should. Like brutal said, it's in the wrong place, probably wouldn't use it if it did work properly.

mwalsh9152

Reaction score
Ive never even tried mine. I just plug both my phones in when I get in the truck every time. I need one of them plugged in for Waze anyway.

Don-T

Reaction score
I too have the 12 Pro Max. my phone doesn't charge very well either. I use Carplay most times anyway so I have given up on the wireless charger and I just plug the phone in.

KevoTheFord

Reaction score
I too have the 12 Pro Max. my phone doesn't charge very well either. I use Carplay most times anyway so I have given up on the wireless charger and I just plug the phone in.
funny thing I have found is that the only time the light stays blue is when I have my 12 Pro Max plugged in and inserted in the left space with the wireless charger. Such a piss off that it doesn't work, for me I like the spot where it goes and I hate cords lol

anderson0172

Reaction score
So I took my case off my phone yesterday on the way to work and viola, the phone charges. I also tried it on my way home and again it was a success. Inside the house I also have a few wireless chargers and my phone charges on all of them with the case on. Looks like the Ramcharger is just poor and weak, cannot charge through the case. I don't want to remove my case to charge it, that's just a hassle, cable it is for me.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

We're sorry to hear that some of you are experiencing concerns with your wireless charging. If you're still experiencing these concerns and would like us to look into it for you, please don't hesitate to send us a private message with your VIN and any additional details/documentation that will help me get a better understanding of your situation.

Thanks,

Courtney
Ram Cares

KevoTheFord

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

We're sorry to hear that some of you are experiencing concerns with your wireless charging. If you're still experiencing these concerns and would like us to look into it for you, please don't hesitate to send us a private message with your VIN and any additional details/documentation that will help me get a better understanding of your situation.

Thanks,

Courtney
Ram Cares
Thanks Courtney, DM sent

KevoTheFord

Reaction score
After a bunch of troubleshooting I have found a solution that works for me. It turns out my wireless charger does in fact work, it is just very weak. For background we have iPhones (XS max, 11 and a 12 pro max) and none were charging consistently (with or without cases). I bought a magsafe case for my 12 pro max and magically the charger now worked so I bought a similar case for the other phones and they now work as well.

I was surprised they worked with the magsafe cases when they didn’t work without a case but for me problem solved. At some point I will probably pull things apart to replace the weak charger

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
After a bunch of troubleshooting I have found a solution that works for me. It turns out my wireless charger does in fact work, it is just very weak. For background we have iPhones (XS max, 11 and a 12 pro max) and none were charging consistently (with or without cases). I bought a magsafe case for my 12 pro max and magically the charger now worked so I bought a similar case for the other phones and they now work as well.

I was surprised they worked with the magsafe cases when they didn’t work without a case but for me problem solved. At some point I will probably pull things apart to replace the weak charger
It’s probably more the location and size of the charger, rather than the strength. My experience with wireless charging has shown that most phones have a sweet spot for where the charger needs to be in order to get a consistent charge.

I wonder if the charger can be relocated to better accommodate a larger phone. With my 2022 on order, it would be great to never have to use a cord. Looking forward to wireless Apple CarPlay.

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
Well, maybe it is just crap. Looking at this, it seems to have a large enough surface area.

anderson0172

Reaction score
So I have a strange one. As I posted before my phone would only charge if I removed the case. So after getting the charger to work I reinstalled my case and was just going to plug it in. After reinstalling the case my wireless charging is now working, almost like it was booted to life with the case removed. It's been working trouble free for 2 weeks now.

KevoTheFord

Reaction score
It’s probably more the location and size of the charger, rather than the strength. My experience with wireless charging has shown that most phones have a sweet spot for where the charger needs to be in order to get a consistent charge.

I wonder if the charger can be relocated to better accommodate a larger phone. With my 2022 on order, it would be great to never have to use a cord. Looking forward to wireless Apple CarPlay.
Honestly i spent most of a 4 hour drive with my wife behind the wheel just so I could move the phones around and try to find the sweet spot. My old iPhone 11 I could get to work a bit without a case on it but it would only last a short time. My wife’s XS max and my 12 pro max there was no sweet spot anywhere I tried every position, jamming it down in deeper etc and nothing would charge, the light would just flash red.

I know the material on the charging pad is thin but the coil Dodge uses is very weak. I’ve been installing coils under our quartz counter tops so they are hidden and the strength is night and day. The MagSafe cases actually pull the phone to the sweet spot and it picks up the signal, no idea why it doesn’t work the same without the case

jeffn

Reaction score
I have an iphone 11 pro max and I gave up on the wireless charging in my 2020. It is a terrible design for a lot of reasons:
- the vertical position way down in the bottom of the center console renders the phone completely unusable while charging
- the slot with a pressure pad complicates inserting phones with cases that otherwise have no issues with wireless charging
- the only feedback about charging state is the light, it should have a uconnect message (I could be wrong about this, never got it working enough times to see a message)
- to use wireless charging requires too much of the user. If you have to read the manual out of frustration, it was designed poorly.

My son’s Audi has a pad on the center console, just drop the phone on it and it charges. But the other factor at play here is that without wireless CarPlay and Android Auto, wireless charging is a checkbox for marketing. You really need wireless charging and wireless capability to make it useful

jack brundage

Reaction score
Ya I have jammed it down and shifted it around. It might have to do with the phone size as my wife has an XS max and I have a 12 pro max and they are bigger, my work phone is an 11 and smaller it seems to have the best luck. I wish the truck had wireless carplay like the 22's look like they will have but it is what it is at this point.

Dave88LX

Reaction score
Gave up on it. Have no use for a phone in that spot, and, don't want to remove the cover to jam the phone into that tight slot.
I bought a Bulletpoint Mounting Solutions setup and loving it so far. Will post up if there's not already a thread. I'll check.

Users who are viewing this thread