Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram better come out with a a FULL fifth gen HD soon

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The back seat in the 5th gen cabs is bigger and has a completely flat floor without having to use the fold flat floor. I want to say there is something like 9” more leg room. And having that flat floor is awesome for people like me who have a 125lb dog who is getting older and having a hard time getting up on top of that fold flat floor

The 1500 also has smaller running gear and components so until they come out with a 2500/3500 HD 5th gen there is no saying for sure that it would be a flat floor.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I'm definitely in the minority since I wish I could get a 2500 with either an extended cab or quad cab at biggest. Some of these huge cabs, while great for replacing the mini-van, make driving/parking in big cities almost impossible.
I also wish there was an extended cab, or even the regular cab but with the mega extra space behind the seats. Alas, I don't see that happening.

The 1500 also has smaller running gear and components so until they come out with a 2500/3500 HD 5th gen there is no saying for sure that it would be a flat floor.
I was gonna say the same thing. I assume if it was as easy as slapping the cab on, they would have done that when they did the redesign.

OldJeepsNewTrucks

Reaction score
I'm definitely in the minority since I wish I could get a 2500 with either an extended cab or quad cab at biggest. Some of these huge cabs, while great for replacing the mini-van, make driving/parking in big cities almost impossible.
Well some of us have to haul kids and dogs along with our trailers!

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
I hauled 3 kids a wife and this dog in a quad cab, oh the horror!!! 20160218_191447.jpgScreenshot_20230205-114905~3.png

I love my crew cab long bed...but I do not know that I want it bigger,although I do have my eye out for a mega cab conversion. I really want a regular cab. I will get one...looking for a 2018 with a 6 speed manual Cummins.

I agree that an access cab or a quad cab would sell...but, they make what they need too with the crew, regular and mega.

I got 2 4th Gens now...so every year they keep the old design...more useful parts for me.

They already ran the price of trucks up...thanks in whole to guys who just have to have to have newest gadget.

It cracks me up on the 1500 site how many members look down on a guy who wants a tradesman....hell, right now...the guys buying the new warlock...you would swear they were second rate citizens.

Some people really do need a base truck and they need a base price...it is insane what that entails now...I can only imagine what this new cab will go for if it ever does hit. And dealer mark ups...wow!!!

Jacob

Reaction score
After having owned a 2001 and a 2005 with family for several years we're pretty happy with the 2019 cab.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is saying Ram should get rid of the crew cab, but rather provide an extended cab like the Fords have.
And the 1/2 ton ram classics even have the extended still

cj8rockcrawler

Reaction score
My 04 doesn't get driven much anymore now that we have the 22. We took it to run a few errands last night and I was reminded of my mindset when I bought it in 04. When I bought it new, I picked an SLT quad cab, because trucks are trucks and don't need leather seats... now here I am driving a 22 a limited mega cab. The point is, needs and desires change so having choices is great so we can all get what we want or need in a truck.

ClawSS

Reaction score
So I guess I'm just hanging around till someone offers me stupid money for my unicorn.

g00fy

Reaction score
I suspect when Ram finally pulls the plug on the 1500 Classic is when we'll see a proper 5th gen HD. I assume with the classic and the 4.5gen sharing so much still, they're probably saving/making a ton of money cranking out classics 1500's and 4.5gen HD's. I bet once they stop making money on that setup they'll probably retool the factory and go full 5th gen for HD's.

Firebird

Reaction score
I love my 4.5 gen truck, looks good, solid as a rock and more than enough cab room. Yes, my 2019 5th gen cab had more back seat leg room, but unless the rear passenger is Shaq, it's all overkill anyhow.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I love my 4.5 gen truck, looks good, solid as a rock and more than enough cab room. Yes, my 2019 5th gen cab had more back seat leg room, but unless the rear passenger is Shaq, it's all overkill anyhow.
I’ve never sat in the back seat of my truck while I’m driving, and the dog doesn’t complain.

jebruns

Reaction score
Both of my Ram 2500's were/are Megacabs. So plenty of back seat legroom.

99% of the time, the rear seats are folded forward and I just use the large flat space for "stuff" or dogs. I've only had someone in the back seat of my '22 once.

OldJeepsNewTrucks

Reaction score
So I am at the dealership right now (grid heater relay recall, yay) and I checked out the 1500 5th gen cabs, I just don't get the complaint. It has the flat floor but otherwise, I just don't see the obsession or need. Is it because I'm a megacab guy so I don't really appreciate the difference?

Last truck was a gen4 1500, and honestly never really had space issues in the back unless there were 3 adults, and even then you just wouldn't want to road trip it too far.

Grey65

Reaction score
Been a Chrysler guy my entire life. In 58 years I've never owned a Ford and have only owned 2 GM products (1986 IROC and 2011 Corvette). But I am looking at trading my 22 Longhorn in on a 24 GMC Denali Ultimate.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I owned Rams for 25 years but decided to try a F350 Platinum Tremor while Ram ironed out the issues on the 22's.

The panoramic sunroof is incredible until I learned a lot of guys avoid using or purchasing it since it has a history of not working correctly being extremely unreliable. I also liked the idea of having an aluminum truck never having to deal with rust issues until I learned that light aluminum weight causes doors to move around in the door jams when hitting a bump, noise in the cab is created from door floating around and rubbing against the seals, and issues with creaking door hinges that's extremely costly to repair. The 10 spd is smooth and crisp but it shifts a lot, has had multiple recalls, and Ford is still ironing out the program. Around 1,000 miles I started getting rattles all around the cab. They finally got so bad I pulled the dash panels and console to see if I could locate them only to learn over half of the plastic hot fuse nibs were missed during assembly causing the panels to rub against one another. On top of that, the plastic is so cheap and thin combined with the fact they use around half the amount of dash clips compared to Ram so there's simply no way to completely eliminate all the creaks and rattles.

I waited until the end of summer to test drive a 23 3500 Limited Mega Cab making sure they had enough time to address the issues they had with the Aisin in 22. The quality of the interior blew my wife and I away with not so much as a stitch out of place. The truck felt like a vault compared to the Ford and was very smooth and quiet going down the road. Overall the truck just bleeds quality. I've owned numerous Mega Cabs and forgot how much I appreciate having space behind the rear seats.

I really missed the confidence and robustness of the Aisin. After owning a 10 spd I can now say without question that Ram does not need one. The Aisin combined with the exhaust brake create one of the best towing experiences available. The Ford was all go with not enough stop. Ram is very controlled and balanced all the way around.

After being out of a Ram for 10 months I was quickly reminded why I've always preferred them and I'll never consider going to another make again. Sometimes you need to appreciate what works instead of chasing the latest and greatest.

The final thing I'll say is If payments are of any concern then you're not in a financial position to purchase. Either pay for the truck outright or wait until you have enough down payment to control what your monthly payment will be.

This is a great post. Well written and based in real-world experience.

I'll say... close friend has a '19 power stroke Ford and that bastard hauls ass. But everything else about the truck sucks similar to what's posted above.

44Dan44

Reaction score
i went with a 2023 RAM specificaly because they haven't made any changes - I just want an old school pickup truck .. All the new trucks looks way to futuristic with silly body work and hoods, crazy grills and front ends, ugly built in steps, etc ...

I couldn't agree more on all counts. I bought my 23 Powerwagon solely because it had not changed in so long and almost all of it was pretty time proven with the hemi and 8 speed. I feel like just about every all-new vehicle turns into folks beta testing and finding all the weak points (C8, Bronco, Lightning, Hummer, etc). Mine may not be the latest and greatest, but I have a more known track record of everything working as intended. That's not foolproof (like the 22 Aisin example), but its usually a pretty good prediction of things to come.

100% support these sentiments. Seeing the side steps and bumper steps they added to the 23 Ford copied from 20 Chevrolet, I wanted my Ram before they did the same. And as much as many might be excited for a true 5th Gen HD for a bigger cab I don't expect the amorphous blob they come up with in 2027 (yeah I said it, 27, taking bets ;) ) will be as appealing as what we have now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread