Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram better come out with a a FULL fifth gen HD soon

Redfour5

Reaction score
Ram can't sell trucks right now. Now everyone is sucking for air, but Ram seems to be the hardest hit. You want a 1500, they will practically give it to you but then the interest rates will eat you alive representing a couple hundred bucks more than two years ago with 2.5 times the interest rates. So, Ram has started doing BIG rebates and a few other things, but has yet to go big on rate reductions on longer terms. OK, so I get 1 or 2.9 on 36 or 48 months... I'm still paying 1200 to 1500 a month on a 60K truck...even after 10K in rebates.

Ram needs to make that 2500/3500 cab as big as the 1500 at the very least, look at some kind of XE type battery set up (with attendant 7500 federal tax rebate) so when you do daily driving to the store transfer station etc., you can save some serious bucks for that first 25-30 miles with most daily driving being covered by those miles (at least in my case). Then make a few of the "packages/groups" standard and maybe a 10 speed transmission... What's ZF doing about that? If the Hurricane engine is good, put it in and turbocharge it. Cummins? How about the ICE Hydrogen? Or even the 6.7 block adapted to other fuels including gas...

They need to do something. This playing around the edges with new mirrors (an improvement for sure) and new steering wheel controls ain't gonna cut it any longer on HD's. And sales will reflect how long in the tooth the Ram HD's are becoming...

Finn5033

Reaction score
I needed an HD truck almost 3 years ago now and at the time it was middle of Covid so HD trucks were hard to get a hold of. I ended up going with a Silverado 3500 with the 6.6 gas engine because I was coming from a 2020 ecodiesel and I had a hard time going back to that 4th gen cab size. While I liked the Silverado just fine I told myself once Ram put the 5th gen cab on their HDs I’d come back.

I always wanted a Cummins and I found a leftover 2022 well optioned Tradesman 2500 Cummins discounted $7,500 so I decided to go back. I figured there was no way I was getting into a brand new Cummins that was better optioned than a big horn for $61,500 maybe ever again. So despite my disappointment with the old 4th gen cab I’m still very happy. Personally after having the 21 Silverado I kind of like the Ram being smaller. That Silverado is sooo big.

That being said I agree, it’s well past time they update the cab. It’s honestly shocking to me that it’s been 3 years since I got my Silverado and Ram is still using the 4th gen cab on the HDs

Enve46

Reaction score
Their price increases dont help any of this situation. But, thats also why I ended up in a 2019 Limited with 15k miles and got a great deal at 68k, I could probably get more than that right now. Availability is another thing thats caught up to them, no longer are lots empty. I do like the new Fords, just cant get myself to own a Ford, Im pretty diehard Ram guy. I dont see myself making a move anytime soon, HOWEVER, I am curious of the next generation PowerWagon. I dont really NEED a diesel and now that mine has shed weight Im really liking it. That said, Im intrigued to see what Ram does with the next gen HD truck, especially the Power Wagon.

Redfour5

Reaction score
" 2019 Limited with 15k miles and got a great deal at 68k" You stole it. Ramboxes??? I personally like them having had them on a 1500.

As for the Power Wagon have you checked out the 6.4 2500 Rebel? The primary difference between a Power Wagon and the new "Gas/6.4) rebel is that you do NOT have a front locker or the ability to disengage. You can even get a winch OEM on it but not the Cummins version. With the rear locker however, you do increase your off road capabilities quite a bit along with the winch and no after market front ends. The BIG advantage is that you get all the substantial payload vs a Power Wagon usually limited to at most 1500 lbs, while getting many of the advantages of a power wagon if not all of them. IF they had that when I bought in early 2022, I would have jumped as I prefer the 6.4 vs the Cummins... AND, I'm seeing them as low as 67K after dealer markdowns of like 10/11K in a couple of cases on Cargurus and you get the new mirrors... If you search, go to the Trim level (Rebel), then put nationwide as the distance from your zip code, and click on the gas units. Right now there are over 940 "gassers" available nationwide...

The cheapest at below 66K has a tow rating of

VIN : 3C6UR5EJ5PG591641
MAX PAYLOAD LB
3,000( Disclosure2)

MAX TOWING LB

Riddick

Reaction score
Agreed, they are long overdue for an updated model. The past couple of years Ram has had its interior set them apart from the competition. GM and Ford have both closed the gap and now have comparable interior trims. Power trains are worlds apart and they are way behind other manufacturers. I could care less about peak hp and tq numbers but the Cummins would benefit from an updated transmission. The 10 speeds from GM and Ford shift pretty damn smooth, especially for and HD truck.

UglyViking

Reaction score
The insane thing is that we consider a 2019 with 15k at almost 70k a "steal". Either way I suppose that is where we are at.

I also want to see some updates, but I'm pretty cautious about a larger cab if that means a larger turning radius. These trucks are already pretty large, and maybe if you live in TX or out west the size isn't a huge deal, but back east I don't think I'd want anything larger as a daily, again just for turning radius and overall length. In new england you can't fit these CCSB trucks into a parking spot, you're hanging out one side or the other.

As for the 8-10-12 speed trans. The number of gears doesn't hurt anything, so long as the trans tuning is properly done. I find that the new Ford's have vastly better trans tuning and doesn't feel like it's always hunting for the right gear like previous trucks. Additional gearing is going to help with MPG and acceleration though, so I'd be all for that.

Redfour5

Reaction score
Discontinuing the 6.4 gas motor in the upper end trim lines in the 2500's doesnt help Ram's case either.
That's right. There are a lot of rich old dudes who want limited's but don't want the hassle of a diesel anymore. I bet they hurt themselves by doing that. It really doesn't make any sense...

flan

Reaction score
Gears are always a argument. Look at the heavy duty world. The truck I drive at work has a GVWR of 80k and has a 6 speed Allison. Some 18 wheelers going down the road that have a GVWR of 80k have somewhere between 9 and 18. What’s better? Beats me.

MKelp95

Reaction score
I agree. I’ve been disappointed with Ram these past few years. Unless Ram reveals a major update by the end of next year I’ll be looking at an f450.

BilletWilson

Reaction score
I owned Rams for 25 years but decided to try a F350 Platinum Tremor while Ram ironed out the issues on the 22's.

The panoramic sunroof is incredible until I learned a lot of guys avoid using or purchasing it since it has a history of not working correctly being extremely unreliable. I also liked the idea of having an aluminum truck never having to deal with rust issues until I learned that light aluminum weight causes doors to move around in the door jams when hitting a bump, noise in the cab is created from door floating around and rubbing against the seals, and issues with creaking door hinges that's extremely costly to repair. The 10 spd is smooth and crisp but it shifts a lot, has had multiple recalls, and Ford is still ironing out the program. Around 1,000 miles I started getting rattles all around the cab. They finally got so bad I pulled the dash panels and console to see if I could locate them only to learn over half of the plastic hot fuse nibs were missed during assembly causing the panels to rub against one another. On top of that, the plastic is so cheap and thin combined with the fact they use around half the amount of dash clips compared to Ram so there's simply no way to completely eliminate all the creaks and rattles.

I waited until the end of summer to test drive a 23 3500 Limited Mega Cab making sure they had enough time to address the issues they had with the Aisin in 22. The quality of the interior blew my wife and I away with not so much as a stitch out of place. The truck felt like a vault compared to the Ford and was very smooth and quiet going down the road. Overall the truck just bleeds quality. I've owned numerous Mega Cabs and forgot how much I appreciate having space behind the rear seats.

I really missed the confidence and robustness of the Aisin. After owning a 10 spd I can now say without question that Ram does not need one. The Aisin combined with the exhaust brake create one of the best towing experiences available. The Ford was all go with not enough stop. Ram is very controlled and balanced all the way around.

After being out of a Ram for 10 months I was quickly reminded why I've always preferred them and I'll never consider going to another make again. Sometimes you need to appreciate what works instead of chasing the latest and greatest.

The final thing I'll say is If payments are of any concern then you're not in a financial position to purchase. Either pay for the truck outright or wait until you have enough down payment to control what your monthly payment will be.

dmhines

Reaction score
i went with a 2023 RAM specificaly because they haven't made any changes - I just want an old school pickup truck .. All the new trucks looks way to futuristic with silly body work and hoods, crazy grills and front ends, ugly built in steps, etc ...

Also .. I think the HD REBEL is the biggest Rip-Off in Rams Fleet. Its a HD 2500 with the off-road package and a rear locker - but its priced more than a Power Wagon .. makes no sense.

Enve46

Reaction score
" 2019 Limited with 15k miles and got a great deal at 68k" You stole it. Ramboxes??? I personally like them having had them on a 1500.

As for the Power Wagon have you checked out the 6.4 2500 Rebel? The primary difference between a Power Wagon and the new "Gas/6.4) rebel is that you do NOT have a front locker or the ability to disengage. You can even get a winch OEM on it but not the Cummins version. With the rear locker however, you do increase your off road capabilities quite a bit along with the winch and no after market front ends. The BIG advantage is that you get all the substantial payload vs a Power Wagon usually limited to at most 1500 lbs, while getting many of the advantages of a power wagon if not all of them. IF they had that when I bought in early 2022, I would have jumped as I prefer the 6.4 vs the Cummins... AND, I'm seeing them as low as 67K after dealer markdowns of like 10/11K in a couple of cases on Cargurus and you get the new mirrors... If you search, go to the Trim level (Rebel), then put nationwide as the distance from your zip code, and click on the gas units. Right now there are over 940 "gassers" available nationwide...

The cheapest at below 66K has a tow rating of

VIN : 3C6UR5EJ5PG591641
MAX PAYLOAD LB
3,000( Disclosure2)

MAX TOWING LB
Rambox's were deleted unfortunately, but yea I got a great deal AND they gave me stupid money for my 23 TRX I traded in. I wont make a move until the new cab is on the HDs. I have a mega cab now because I love the rear legroom with two kids, one still in rear facing seat.

Kauffmj1

Reaction score
i went with a 2023 RAM specificaly because they haven't made any changes - I just want an old school pickup truck .. All the new trucks looks way to futuristic with silly body work and hoods, crazy grills and front ends, ugly built in steps, etc ...

Also .. I think the HD REBEL is the biggest Rip-Off in Rams Fleet. Its a HD 2500 with the off-road package and a rear locker - but its priced more than a Power Wagon .. makes no sense.
I couldn't agree more on all counts. I bought my 23 Powerwagon solely because it had not changed in so long and almost all of it was pretty time proven with the hemi and 8 speed. I feel like just about every all-new vehicle turns into folks beta testing and finding all the weak points (C8, Bronco, Lightning, Hummer, etc). Mine may not be the latest and greatest, but I have a more known track record of everything working as intended. That's not foolproof (like the 22 Aisin example), but its usually a pretty good prediction of things to come.

UglyViking

Reaction score
That's right. There are a lot of rich old dudes who want limited's but don't want the hassle of a diesel anymore. I bet they hurt themselves by doing that. It really doesn't make any sense...
I don't know details, but Ram noted that the top tier hemi trucks were so low in sales numbers that they just dumped the option. So while there will probably be like 10 guys who are mad, I doubt it's going to be some overwhelming number.

I really like the interiors of the 2023 Fords, huge step up from previous gen. That said, Ford has always had cheap feeling interiors to me. I don't really mind them, a truck is a truck to me, but the higher end trims of the Ram are vastly better than the 22 and older Fords. I'd be interested in seeing what the interior of the 24 Ford and GM look like in person though.

BilletWilson

Reaction score
I don't know details, but Ram noted that the top tier hemi trucks were so low in sales numbers that they just dumped the option. So while there will probably be like 10 guys who are mad, I doubt it's going to be some overwhelming number.

I really like the interiors of the 2023 Fords, huge step up from previous gen. That said, Ford has always had cheap feeling interiors to me. I don't really mind them, a truck is a truck to me, but the higher end trims of the Ram are vastly better than the 22 and older Fords. I'd be interested in seeing what the interior of the 24 Ford and GM look like in person though.
I climbed all over a 23 Ford and they still use cheap flimsy plastic. Every single unit I sat in the plastic creaked. When you get a chance to check one out grab the console where your knees are. You’ll understand exactly what I’m talking about. It’s hard to explain because Rams aren’t like this but once you experience it you can’t forget it.

markd100

Reaction score

I know nothing about building trucks on an assembly line, but if they already offer the same engine in the same chassis, what difference does the trim and electronics make? Why not offer it?
I'd of already ordered (and have) a '23 Hemi limited gasser already had they not stopped offering it. I waited for 24 hoping the hemi would be in the upper end trims, but its not. I can't see paying an extra 10K for a Diesel I dont want or need for the amount of towing I do..

Users who are viewing this thread