Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Putting 35s on a Power wagon

Reaction score
Thinking of changing over from stock 33's to 35's on power wagon, while retaining stock rims.
Satisfied with Good Year Duratrax ! Open to changing to another make as long as it has a smooth ride for highway driving with no excessive road noise!
Am confused as to resetting speedometer or not, also is a wheel alinement necessary?
Any suggestions help full !

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Thinking of changing over from stock 33's to 35's on power wagon, while retaining stock rims.
Satisfied with Good Year Duratrax ! Open to changing to another make as long as it has a smooth ride for highway driving with no excessive road noise!
Am confused as to resetting speedometer or not, also is a wheel alinement necessary?

I run the 35" Duratrax on mine. Got a really good discount on them. They are pretty close to a true 35". If I remember correctly, 34.8" is what I measured. I had to pull the spare tire heat shield and modify it to mount further out so the spare would fit properly.

From my post:

-------------------------------------------------------------
You could probably do this if you just banged the crap out of the heat shield. Not my cup of tea.

This diagram isn't exactly like ours, but very similar. The red line is where I cut mine. I left a little overhang so that it still wraps around the top and rests on the tire a little.
  1. So drop the spare tire
  2. Pull the heat shield (10mm x6 bolts)
  3. Install spare correctly (requires a little elbow grease, but once you pass the track bar and hitch it fits easily)
  4. Cut heat shield (I used my angle grinder)
  5. Install heat shield with spare already in position (You will now only use 4 of the bolts)
  6. Enjoy life knowing you have a full size spare that fits correctly.
index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

Reaction score
Thanks for the instructions!
Not complicated at all!
Hardest job cutting tire wall for factory height!

stickshifter

Reaction score
I think you will be limited to Nitto - they make a 35 by 11.5 tire (I forget which one). Almost all other 35s are 12.5 wide. I believe the stock rims are a little too narrow for a 35 by 12.5 tire. You could probably get away with it, but technically, you will be out of spec.

pdavey

Reaction score
35x12.5x17 work fine on stock power wagon rims. Been running them since I got the truck new. Had them take the crappy 33s off before I took delivery.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

stickshifter

Reaction score
Good to know. I was going by recommended specs from the tire manufacturers. Happy new year to all!

jadmt

Reaction score
stock wheel is 8" and most 35x12.5 recommend 8.5" but 1/2" is not going to cause an issue. many jeeps are running 35x12.5 on stock wheels and they are only 7.5" wide. That said you can get AEV saltas in silver for $150 a pop and they are 8.5" and have the proper offset for running bigger tires. I just sold my stock tires and wheels for $1200 so it was pretty inexpensive to swap over to 35's. I have Toyo R/T's and they are smooth and quiet compared to stock and look much better. just got back from a 432 mile road trip and drove 75-80mph the entire way and averaged 12.5mpg so probably just slightly less than I would have stock but not enough to matter to me.

Reaction score
I think you will be limited to Nitto - they make a 35 by 11.5 tire (I forget which one). Almost all other 35s are 12.5 wide. I believe the stock rims are a little too narrow for a 35 by 12.5 tire. You could probably get away with it, but technically, you will be out of spec.
Thanks for the advice!
WILL keep it in mind.
A while ago several friends who have this brand gave it high marks.

pdavey

Reaction score
I love the Nitto tires. I have run both Ridge Grapplers and Trail Grapplers

Reaction score
stock wheel is 8" and most 35x12.5 recommend 8.5" but 1/2" is not going to cause an issue. many jeeps are running 35x12.5 on stock wheels and they are only 7.5" wide. That said you can get AEV saltas in silver for $150 a pop and they are 8.5" and have the proper offset for running bigger tires. I just sold my stock tires and wheels for $1200 so it was pretty inexpensive to swap over to 35's. I have Toyo R/T's and they are smooth and quiet compared to stock and look much better. just got back from a 432 mile road trip and drove 75-80mph the entire way and averaged 12.5mpg so probably just slightly less than I would have stock but not enough to matter to me.
Thanks for advice!
New wheels to replace stock on my list.
Going to wait a while to see how stock wheels.& tires perform before changing over.
Yes Toyo R/T'S are smooth.& quiet!
Agree on mpg( after all a power wagon is not a honda civic ! ).

@JC

Reaction score
The stock Duratracs aren't bad like the stock Transfarce tires on the other models but they are D rather than E rated (the Ds have a reputation for ruptures off-roading), they get a little loud after they get broken in, and 33s don't fill up the wheel well. They do handle well, so if you don't care about any of that, there's no real reason to change them out.

Reaction score
I love the Nitto tires. I have run both Ridge Grapplers and Trail Grapplers

Both types of Nitto tires on check list.
Hard choice between makes for driving comfort both on paved roads, & off road !

Reaction score
The stock Duratracs aren't bad like the stock Transfarce tires on the other models but they are D rather than E rated (the Ds have a reputation for ruptures off-roading), they get a little loud after they get broken in, and 33s don't fill up the wheel well. They do handle well, so if you don't care about any of that, there's no real reason to change them out.
Had duratracs in the past had no issues !
For a change decided on a different brand of 35's tires & wheels! As the proverb says - nothing ventured nothing gained.

jadmt

Reaction score
so literally just got out of my buddy's 2020 Power wagon and he has 35x12.5-17 Ridge grapplers and we just put about 35 miles or so on. he is running a bit more psi than I am he is 55psi all around and I 48 in front and 45 in back and mine is better riding and quieter. He lowered his psi when we got back home to 48 rear and 50psi front. crazy thing is mine actually look a bit taller and his look wider even tho the tape measure says mine are actually a tad wider and they are the same height. both on AEV salta wheels.

pdavey

Reaction score
Can you post a pic of them on the AEV wheels? I am considering those.

pdavey

Reaction score
Both types of Nitto tires on check list.
Hard choice between makes for driving comfort both on paved roads, & off road !
After having both tires I would go back to the Trail Grapplers. I went with the Ridge Grapplers on my 2019 Power Wagon and truthfully don't think you gain much in fuel economy or on road noise performance with them on the larger E rated tire over the Trail Grapplers.

Off-road the Ridge Grapplers perform well but I felt on rock the Trail Grapplers performed a bit better.

Mud is where the Trail Grapplers truly shine over the Ridge Grapplers.

If you are going to do mostly on-road with light off road the Ridge Grapplers are probably the right tire.

If you do more technical offroading I think the Trail Grapplers would be better

My 2 cents.

Happy New Year to all of you.

stickshifter

Reaction score
I didn’t have good luck with Duratracs, but they were C-rated tires. They were on my buddy”s Jeep, and he had two sidewall punctures on a four-day trip; one from a thorn. I was running Cooper ST Maxx and didn’t have any problems (not that that proves anything). I think the D and E rated Duratracs have stronger sidewalls, so this is a pointless post ;) Happy New Year!

jadmt

Reaction score
So finally got my toyo 35” spare. I was amazed at how thin the side wall is on the stock duratracs. Compared to the toyo there is no comparison. of course the toyo weighs about 14 pounds more...i gave up trying to get it in stock location even with no air it was wedged firmly against the trackbar and back of receiver hitch. When i get more time will try the above heat shield mod but not sure how that will give me clearance on the trackbar

Users who are viewing this thread