Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Putting 35s on a Power wagon

Manapua

Reaction score
I will be picking up my 2019 PW in the next day or 2. I plan to put on 35’s but would like to keep the stock wheels. Was looking at the Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Wrangler DuraTracs, or Toyo Open Country RTs, but it looks like for 35 x 12.5 the approved rim widths are 8.5 and up. The PW wheel is 17 x 8. Do I need to go with 315/70/R17 instead?
Thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
I would run 'em because I have in the past and have had no issues. But you need to do what makes you feel, right. If running something slightly out of spec makes you uncomfortable, don't do it. It will eat at you every time you think about it.

Enjoy your new truck!

Ramman

Reaction score
I will be picking up my 2019 PW in the next day or 2. I plan to put on 35’s but would like to keep the stock wheels. Was looking at the Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Wrangler DuraTracs, or Toyo Open Country RTs, but it looks like for 35 x 12.5 the approved rim widths are 8.5 and up. The PW wheel is 17 x 8. Do I need to go with 315/70/R17 instead?
Thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

I ran 37x13.5 on my stock wheels for a couple of days while I awaited my aftermarket wheels to be delivered. The one thing I can tell you is that the 37's did rub the control arms on full lock. I am not sure if your stock wheels will give you the clearance required to avoid that issue. I'm not entirely sure if the Power Wagon control arms are any different than mine. But the guy who installed my tires/wheels told me the Control arms on Ram HD's have always been the biggest issue when it comes to getting a no rub fit on a 35+ tire. The only option was spacers or aftermarket wheels, so I went with the wheels.

pdavey

Reaction score
On my 2005 I run 35x12.5 17 Nitto Trail Grapplers. Wanted to try something different on this truck. I have to say they ride really well and are super quiet. Taking them off road in two weekends and will really see how they do. I don’t think you can go wrong with Nitto tires. My Trail Grapplers have been getting close to 40K miles on them before they need to be replaced.

pdavey

Reaction score
For reference here is the 2019 with Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Really like the tires so far. 35s fit with ease, however have not found a programmer to fix the tire size yet so it is off 4mph

Attachments

• 20190615_121416.jpg
    20190615_121416.jpg
    628.1 KB · Views: 765

MrMopar

Reaction score
I am running Nitto Ridge Grappler 35X12.5 17 on stock rims for my 2019 Power Wagon with no issues at all.
That Wide on a stock 8" wide wheel...?
Did you recalibrate the speedometer...?
Pic's...?

MrMopar

Reaction score
For reference here is the 2019 with Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Really like the tires so far. 35s fit with ease, however have not found a programmer to fix the tire size yet so it is off 4mph
Looks good, have these on my Wife's Jeep...no road noise...how are they on the PW...?

Manapua

Reaction score
What did you do for the spare? Were you able to fit a 35 under there? Doesn’t look like there would be enough room

pdavey

Reaction score
What did you do for the spare? Were you able to fit a 35 under there? Doesn’t look like there would be enough room

There isn't enough room. Spare is in the bed for now.

Attachments

• 15612090996464716354611575957402.jpg
    15612090996464716354611575957402.jpg
    561.6 KB · Views: 196

pdavey

Reaction score
There isn't enough room. Spare is in the bed for now.

Thought you might want to see some pics from off-roading with the Ridge Grapplers

Very impressed from the myriad of terain I went over this weekend. Slick much, rocks, roots, big mud puddles, shale

All in all I never felt that the tire was unsure. It shed mud very easily (that was my biggest concern) and worked well climbing sleep hills with loose rock.

Did not seem to be any rubbing even when stuffed.

I will need to make one modification to the front wheel well liners.

I removed the chin strap from the front of the truck (lower air damn 14 bolts plus two hangers)

When you go through water it pushes the bottom of the liners out. Something I plan on fixing by building a small brace to hold it.20190622_143150.jpg20190622_143126.jpg

MrMopar

Reaction score
Thought you might want to see some pics from off-roading with the Ridge Grapplers

Very impressed from the myriad of terain I went over this weekend. Slick much, rocks, roots, big mud puddles, shale

All in all I never felt that the tire was unsure. It shed mud very easily (that was my biggest concern) and worked well climbing sleep hills with loose rock.

Did not seem to be any rubbing even when stuffed.

I will need to make one modification to the front wheel well liners.

I removed the chin strap from the front of the truck (lower air damn 14 bolts plus two hangers)

When you go through water it pushes the bottom of the liners out. Something I plan on fixing by building a small brace to hold it.
How does it drive on the paved highway...the stock tires suck...too stiff with Too Much Air Pressure...very bouncy.
Looks good, I may be doing the same

pdavey

Reaction score
How does it drive on the paved highway...the stock tires suck...too stiff with Too Much Air Pressure...very bouncy.
Looks good, I may be doing the same

They ride great on the road. I ran around 50 psi today driving to the airport and it was a good ride.

Ran 60 psi when towing and was firm but very controlled.

Ran 22-25 psi off road and they were very pliable and controlled.

No issues running on stock power wagon rims.

Compared to the Trail Grapplers on my 05 Power Wagon I think these track on the road better with a little smoother ride and way less road noise. That said the Trail Grapplers are hands down the best performing on road MT I have ever had.

MrMopar

Reaction score
They ride great on the road. I ran around 50 psi today driving to the airport and it was a good ride.

Ran 60 psi when towing and was firm but very controlled.

Ran 22-25 psi off road and they were very pliable and controlled.

No issues running on stock power wagon rims.

Compared to the Trail Grapplers on my 05 Power Wagon I think these track on the road better with a little smoother ride and way less road noise. That said the Trail Grapplers are hands down the best performing on road MT I have ever had.
At 50 PSI...does your Low Tire light come on.
Stock tires came
60psi F
65psi R
When I lowered the rear to 60psi to match the front for rotation with nitrogen and my warning light came on.

pdavey

Reaction score
Not with a modification I posted on another forum.

pdavey

Reaction score

Posted it here as forums don’t like you sharing other forum links. If you have a Power Wagon message me.

Skyfallsout

Reaction score
I am running Nitto Ridge Grappler 35X12.5 17 on stock rims for my 2019 Power Wagon with no issues at all.

Just set mine up today on the same but in MT. No rub, I have flexed it a bit already to get and idea and it looks like even under full flex I wont rub anything. Thanks for the info!

Attachments

• 20200429_112532.jpg
    20200429_112532.jpg
    380.7 KB · Views: 420
Reactions: @JC

@JC

Reaction score
Just set mine up today on the same but in MT. No rub, I have flexed it a bit already to get and idea and it looks like even under full flex I wont rub anything. Thanks for the info!

Looks good, they really deserve a 35" right from the factory IMO, the OEM 32" Duratracs look so small in the wheel well.

20RamPWtint.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread