Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power outlet - truck bed

Woodall83

Reaction score
Can anyone with a 2021 model confirm or deny that there is an available 115V power outlet in the truck bed, on the drivers side? This would be without Ram boxes and without the 5th wheel prep. I found the image in the '21 brochure.

Attachments

• outlet.GIF
    outlet.GIF
    209.6 KB · Views: 166

diode_ee

Reaction score
Can anyone with a 2021 model confirm or deny that there is an available 115V power outlet in the truck bed, on the drivers side? This would be without Ram boxes and without the 5th wheel prep. I found the image in the '21 brochure.
It's funny, I was wondering the same thing. I found the switch for receptacle in the manual, but haven't been able to determine what option is required to get this on a non Ram box configuration.

I'm hoping that the trailer prep package includes the receptacle.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

noizy21

Reaction score
Yes, I just received my 2021 RAM 3500 with the trailer tow prep and the 115 outlet was in the bed of the truck. Looks like as long as the package you ordered has the 115 installed on the interior, it will be installed in the bed also if you have the trailer prep package.

noizy21

Reaction score
It was actually a surprise for me. I had started seeing videos on YouTube and then when I looked at my build sheet, it was listed. I didn't specifically order it. "Exterior 115V AC Outlet" is what is listed on my build sheet.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
@Jimmy07

I'd like to retrofit on my 2020. I have a better(bigger) converter I would use, but using the factory switch and hard parts would be my preference.

Any way you could dig up the parts for us?

Woodall83

Reaction score
What is the trailer tow prep? Is that the fifth wheel prep?

Woodall83

Reaction score
Gotcha. They make it out like it is available without that group but can't confirm.

bfs673

Reaction score
My '21 came with it as well. Was surprised.
There's a switch in the cab to turn it on/off.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
My interior one couldn't even run my Shark household vaccum. Can't remember if truck was running or not. It definitely couldn't run my Harbor Freight air compressor with truck running. Start up amps probably too high.

Im reduced to thinking it only has balls enough for a laptop brick or something.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
My interior one couldn't even run my Shark household vaccum. Can't remember if truck was running or not. It definitely couldn't run my Harbor Freight air compressor with truck running. Start up amps probably too high.

Im reduced to thinking it only has balls enough for a laptop brick or something.

That's all they're really intended for. 400W is pretty low.

I have a spare 1KW converter sitting doing nothing that I want to add to the bed.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
@Jimmy07

I'd like to retrofit on my 2020. I have a better(bigger) converter I would use, but using the factory switch and hard parts would be my preference.

Any way you could dig up the parts for us?
I’ll check it out. I’m sure it’s the same outlet part and switch part numbers used on the ram boxes. Unfortunately, I doubt the switch could be used on an aftermarket inverter because the bcm and Lin bus is involved with the factory inverter module.

diode_ee

Reaction score
It was actually a surprise for me. I had started seeing videos on YouTube and then when I looked at my build sheet, it was listed. I didn't specifically order it. "Exterior 115V AC Outlet" is what is listed on my build sheet.
I don't see that on my build sheet and hope it comes on the limited trim which has the towing prep package. I didn't even see that as an option when using the online builder.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't see that on my build sheet and hope it comes on the limited trim which has the towing prep package. I didn't even see that as an option when using the online builder.

I think I saw it in one of the standard or package screens.

Pronto

Reaction score

It's listed on my build sheet as Exterior 115V AC Outlet.

diode_ee

Reaction score
It's listed on my build sheet as Exterior 115V AC Outlet.
Yup, I looked back over the window sticker and notes the same line item. Thanks! Good to know and I'm surprised it's not more evident on the ram site.

el_barto

Reaction score
Firsti was like “Neat, I want that”... but then I realized I’ve never used the one on the center console.
What would one you use this for, even if it was wired into a 1000W Inverter? All my power tools are battery powered now.

Users who are viewing this thread