Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power outlet - truck bed

diode_ee

Reaction score
I think at 400watts you won't be able to much more than run a battery charger or possibly run a few tailgating items. I don't know how often I'll use it, but it's a nice added perk.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
It can run an ARB fridge/freezer. I usually run mine off my Goal Zero battery but it worked off the my rear seat power outlet for a while.

Frank

Reaction score
I ran a large buffer off my interior 110v when I needed to wax a boat at the storage lot. Came in handy.

I wish they put one in the bed instead of the 4 pin side of the trailer plug. I don't see many lightweight goosenecks in my future, and if it happens I would have used an adapter. Anyone swap/add this?

Pronto

Reaction score
Firsti was like “Neat, I want that”... but then I realized I’ve never used the one on the center console.
What would one you use this for, even if it was wired into a 1000W Inverter? All my power tools are battery powered now.

An air compressor in the bed would be great. I'd love to be able to run a mini-Keurig coffee maker out of my truck but even 1000W won't handle that. You can option the new F150 to output 2000W. I'm a bit envious of that.

Frank

Reaction score
An air compressor in the bed would be great. I'd love to be able to run a mini-Keurig coffee maker out of my truck but even 1000W won't handle that. You can option the new F150 to output 2000W. I'm a bit envious of that.
You could install a 2000w inverter for well under $200. You could even install another battery and periodically put it on a tender. Ford is putting out expensive solutions looking for problems. These are cheap and easy to solve if you think less truck and more boat/camper.

renagade69

Reaction score
Fords 2000 watt inverter is on a hybrid truck only from what I am reading.

Pronto

Reaction score
You could install a 2000w inverter for well under $200. You could even install another battery and periodically put it on a tender. Ford is putting out expensive solutions looking for problems. These are cheap and easy to solve if you think less truck and more boat/camper.
I have a boat with 5 batteries on it. Cheap and easy isn't what comes to mind when I think about how I manage power on it. :D

I may upgrade the inverter on my truck but I need to come across a really slick install first.

Fords 2000 watt inverter is on a hybrid truck only from what I am reading.
A 120v/2400w outlet is standard on the hybrid, but you can option a 120v/2000w system on the Ecoboost and V8 engines. You can also option an additional 240v/20a circuit to the hybrid. The hybrid has a built in generator and I think the non-hybrid option is just a beefed up inverter.

Frank

Reaction score
I have a boat with 5 batteries on it. Cheap and easy isn't what comes to mind when I think about how I manage power on it. :D

I may upgrade the inverter on my truck but I need to come across a really slick install first.

A 120v/2400w outlet is standard on the hybrid, but you can option a 120v/2000w system on the Ecoboost and V8 engines. You can also option an additional 240v/20a circuit to the hybrid. The hybrid has a built in generator and I think the non-hybrid option is just a beefed up inverter.
I've got 2 boats with 5 batteries between them. Cheap and easy with the right maintenance, which the right install really helps on. I plug my big boat into the marina's shore power the same as you would the engine block heater. Very doable on the truck, same concept as installing an air compressor for bags, pot all the electrical connections for environmental protection. If you wanted a dedicated battery, it could go in the bed behind the wheel well or in a tool box in a standard battery box.

As far as the Ford generator options...what are you running on that 240v? 7.2kw might weld in an emergency on very thin material if it doesn't blow the 20a fuse first. You could run two or three power tools on 120v but you could also buy a lot of Bosch rechargeables and not mess with extension cords. If you were to get the 2.0 or 2.4kw generator, one deep cycle AGM battery holds the same power as 30 minutes at 100% cycle duty and 100% draw. Depending on the job, you should get 4+ hours out of a full charge.

Ford's new tech sounds really cool but the real world use cases are not nearly as wide as the marketing would lead you to believe, and there is almost always a cheaper and easier solution. When you really break it down, 5% of buyers are going to have a very specific use case and get a whole heck of a lot of value out of it, while the other 95% might have to make an effort to use it more than a couple times a year.

Pronto

Reaction score
I agree that the 240 option is gimmicky and I doubt they'll get many takers. But if Ram had an upgrade option for a 2kw inverter that was nice and clean, I would have taken it. 400w is not very useful to me.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I would like a 115V plug in the bed but 400W is a little low for stuff I want to run back there. When I am camping out of mine I have a Goal Zero Lithium solar generator (hate that term). It has a 3000W peak / 1500W continuous inverter. I can use AC, 12V DC, or Solar to charge it. I usually use a 100W flex panel to keep it topped up. The best thing is I can move it from the truck to the Jeep to the house. The primary purpose is to run the fridge but I have used it to run a coffeemaker and a slow cooker too. It has also helped with our SoCal power outages when they turn our power off due to fire danger.

Frank

Reaction score
I agree that the 240 option is gimmicky and I doubt they'll get many takers. But if Ram had an upgrade option for a 2kw inverter that was nice and clean, I would have taken it. 400w is not very useful to me.

400w is total, the outlets are limited to 150w. You could put a 2kw under the seat and run appropriate gage wiring w/fuses to a battery and a remote receptacle. This receptacle would do the trick: https://www.amazon.com/Journeyman-P...eywords=120+outlet+5-20&qid=1610649234&sr=8-7

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score

rsday75

Reaction score
For those thinking about a 2K inverter in your truck.....At full draw you are talking 170+ amps on the 12 Volt side......damn big fuses and wire gauge if any distance from the battery to prevent voltage sag and inverter shutdown....think 200 amp slow blow fuse, and 0 or 00 gauge wire......I know many understand this, but many do not realize how big that wire really is.......
In the hybrid F150, this is easier as the hybrid battery pack runs much higher voltage and thus smaller wiring is needed.....

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Not in my truck.

but you’re right I guess I could stick a charger in there.
I was on my way to do a job and no charged batteries somehow so i used the interior plug with my rapid charger and had both batts for my impact charged before i got to the job

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
For those thinking about a 2K inverter in your truck.....At full draw you are talking 170+ amps on the 12 Volt side......damn big fuses and wire gauge if any distance from the battery to prevent voltage sag and inverter shutdown....think 200 amp slow blow fuse, and 0 or 00 gauge wire......I know many understand this, but many do not realize how big that wire really is.......
In the hybrid F150, this is easier as the hybrid battery pack runs much higher voltage and thus smaller wiring is needed.....

FWIW, The builder docs for the HAPP (battery connector) indicate max 50A chassis ground. Anything larger needs to be run to the engine block/battery direct.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score

But then you’d have a ford

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
For those of you who are adding inverters for small items such as battery chargers, phone chargers, etc.. is modified sine wave acceptable, or spend the extra money on sine wave?

diode_ee

Reaction score
Unless it's sensitive electronics like a laptop or similar electronic,, you're fine going with the cheaper option.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

g00fy

Reaction score
Gonna revive this dead thread, anyone ever come up with a parts list to add this to a truck that didn't already come with it?

Users who are viewing this thread