Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ordered my Banks Pedal Monster today. What to expect?

Cummins3

Reaction score
This question has been asked a few time in this thread and I searched for other answers. Not easily finding anything so I will ask again. For those of you that have one iDash, what mount are you using and do you like it? I don't think I like the Banks suction mount as it seems bigger and taller than necessary. I can find nicely reviewed pillar mounts for older trucks and simple, streamlined, 3 gauge mounts with good reviews. But nobody seems to give opinions on any of the single 52mm/2-1/16" single gauge mounts.
The single gauge banks mount sux... It doenst suction if it did it would b ok but I wouldn't buy again.... I need to find something else

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're brave enough to drill a hole in the A-pillar bolt cover plate (or just remove it), you can use an 80mm hex bolt and a RAM ball mount or whatever matches the iDash to mount it on the A-pillar. Did this in my 04.5 (just removed the bolt hole cover) and the (Edge) mount was 100% rock solid. The only problem with the new trucks is that cover is a large piece now instead of just covering the grab handle bolt hole.

1621709178475.png

1621710018113.png

1621709269810.png

There's also bar clamps available in many sizes if one wanted to use the grab handle.

1621710183705.png
It should be easy to figure out a mounting solution with RAM mounts given the options and components they offer.

Will_T

Reaction score
@Brutal_HO With your post above, I have figured out attaching to the the pillar so I'll have a #2 Ram ball. Then with a few choices of arms will get to the point of attaching to the iDash 2-1/16/52mm gauge. But I am stuck finding anything that works for that. Ram Mount does not seem to have anything I can find on their site that they say is for the 52mm gauges? I can call them tomorrow and ask, but I saw the below quote you posted in a thread a year or so ago. What exactly did you use to do the part I bolded? Thanks.

If anyone is looking for an alternative mounting option for pillar mount stuff:

I haven't popped off the plugs yet on the 2020 to see if they're the same (probably), but I installed a RAM ball mount in my 04.5 to one of the grab handle bolt locations. Used a replacement 85mm long 6mm hex head bolt, some RAM mount parts and a ball adapter to fit the back of the Banks iDash device's holder. Couldn't keep a suction mont stuck in the heat here or in NM if I tried.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
@Brutal_HO With your post above, I have figured out attaching to the the pillar so I'll have a #2 Ram ball. Then with a few choices of arms will get to the point of attaching to the iDash 2-1/16/52mm gauge. But I am stuck finding anything that works for that. Ram Mount does not seem to have anything I can find on their site that they say is for the 52mm gauges? I can call them tomorrow and ask, but I saw the below quote you posted in a thread a year or so ago. What exactly did you use to do the part I bolded? Thanks.

Perhaps a little misunderstanding so I'll clarify,

I had an iDash 2.0, the 4.3" WinCE based rectangular display/control.

1621829391086.png

As I recall, it had a snap on holder that took a standard amps spec mount or the ball/socket part was adaptable.

I haven't seen the mounting on the new round iDash.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Kind of surprised RAM Mounts doesn't offer a 52mm gauge pod...

What about something simple like this and attach it to one of the RAM ball base? Not sure what the hole spacing is on it.

1621831405553.png
https://www.extremeterrain.com/holl...adiator-multi-purpose-gauge-mount-26-619.html

I also see a dual Banks pod suction mount that has a ball (unknown size) at the base of the pod part.

1621831467278.png

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
It's not pretty, but this might also work or can be adapted.

1621832600267.png

Autometer makes some nicer looking pods but the backs are rounded so it would have to be attached at the base.

1621832669881.png

Will_T

Reaction score
I talked to Ram Mount this morning and they did not even know what a 52mm or 2-1/16 gauge was. They said I was the first person who ever asked about a mount that would hold one. They directed me to a couple of part numbers, RAM-231Z-2U and RAP-401U. Does not look like either of those would work though. Basically their message seemed to be that they could not possibly make holders for every obscure device in the world and because they had never been asked about a round gauge before, I must be the only one interested in one. Kind of odd given how common round gauges are.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I talked to Ram Mount this morning and they did not even know what a 52mm or 2-1/16 gauge was. They said I was the first person who ever asked about a mount that would hold one. They directed me to a couple of part numbers, RAM-231Z-2U and RAP-401U. Does not look like either of those would work though. Basically their message seemed to be that they could not possibly make holders for every obscure device in the world and because they had never been asked about a round gauge before, I must be the only one interested in one. Kind of odd given how common round gauges are.

I guess it was worth a call, but their statement seems rather odd since they do make all kinds of "obscure" mounts.

Will_T

Reaction score
I guess it was worth a call, but their statement seems rather odd since they do make all kinds of "obscure" mounts.
I talked to the person who answered the phone and when I questioned exactly that, she got "a guy who has worked here for many years". He said the same.

slvrsix7

Reaction score
I have been considering the pedal monster and also the idash. I did some research on what I would use to mount the idash because the only way I'd run it is if I could find a way for a clean install. Best solution I found was this place called Block8head on Facebook. Their mount looks pretty good. Now I will say I messaged the place about availability and fitment (because the picture is shown on a 1500, which I think is the same, but not sure) and never got a response. Seems like a one man show that is overwhelmed right now. I didn't inquire any further because I still am not sure I even want the idash, but I attached a picture below for anyone interested.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1630202669158.jpg
    FB_IMG_1630202669158.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 108

rockman88

Reaction score
Voids your warranty. Just leave it on and take your truck in for service. Good luck. Dealer discretion and they will use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sstoner911

Reaction score
Voids your warranty. Just leave it on and take your truck in for service. Good luck. Dealer discretion and they will use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What aftermarket add ons do you have?

carl2591

Reaction score
how does it affect the MPGs.. good, bad or not at all?

Dasmoetorhead

Reaction score
My 2015 Drw ctd had the dead pedal. Took forever to get used to it.
My 2021 2500 laramie ctd has NO dead pedal. My truck has instant response. It's so nice to jab the throttle and have no dead pedal. Even with traction control on it will spin the back tires, or try to.
It looks like a lot of folks are buying these devices to eliminate dead pedal, so maybe I'm missing something. I totally enjoy my new truck, and it's a pleasure to drive. I had two 4th gens 14,and 15 that had the dead pedal, so I definitely know what it is.

Users who are viewing this thread