Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ordered my Banks Pedal Monster today. What to expect?

bigrobtemp

Reaction score
I have read the reviews and watched the video's and now i am looking for input from the forum. I have a 2020 3500 HO. It really has a dead pedal. I am coming from a 15 F350 that was deleted with a tuner. Even on the stock tune the the F350 would move you back in seat when you got on it. Dial in 230hp and it was a beast, even with 185 thousand on the clock. I do not want to delete this new truck yet, will probably wait for warranty to expire. So my question is, anyone running the Banks pedalmonster and if so what settings are you using? I use it for a daily driver and for hauling the 13000 pound 5th wheel about 7 times a year. What real world things can I expect from this thing? Thanks

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I have read the reviews and watched the video's and now i am looking for input from the forum. I have a 2020 3500 HO. It really has a dead pedal. I am coming from a 15 F350 that was deleted with a tuner. Even on the stock tune the the F350 would move you back in seat when you got on it. Dial in 230hp and it was a beast, even with 185 thousand on the clock. I do not want to delete this new truck yet, will probably wait for warranty to expire. So my question is, anyone running the Banks pedalmonster and if so what settings are you using? I use it for a daily driver and for hauling the 13000 pound 5th wheel about 7 times a year. What real world things can I expect from this thing? Thanks
You sound just like my situation. 20 ram 3500 hohd 13k fiver major dead pedal. I've addressed with ram care and they said it works as intended, i guess they intend for me to get into an accident. I have saved in my files the banks pedal monster without the gauges for the smart phone. All the research I've done leads me to the bpm, it looks like any awesome product and that's what ill be going with if another stimulus comes out. I especially love the no foot print and numerous settings. No actual feedback on real life testing yet. Nice choice.

rsday75

Reaction score
Thinking about one of these as well....Maybe an early Christmas present....they usually do a bit of a discount at Black Friday.

Dr__Bob

Reaction score
I guess I'm doing something wrong. I don't have any sign of a dead pedal in my 3500 SO. Sure, it's not a racing car. But I don't have any issues "sitting in an intersection" like some have said. When I push down on the pedal, the truck moves. No hesitation. No burnt rubber, either, but I have seldom done that in any vehicle (and only long ago when my age had a "1" in front of it. That said, I haven't done any towing with it (other than moving my 35' rig from on-site storage to a camp site, at no more than 10 mph, so I can't say what it will be like hauling my rig through an intersection. But for every day driving around, I have no complaints about pedal response. Is everyone else coming from Nascar or is this only an HO issue that I dodged (!) by getting an SO?

MikeXM

Reaction score
Looking forward to reviews on HO.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess I'm doing something wrong. I don't have any sign of a dead pedal in my 3500 SO. Sure, it's not a racing car. But I don't have any issues "sitting in an intersection" like some have said. When I push down on the pedal, the truck moves. No hesitation. No burnt rubber, either, but I have seldom done that in any vehicle (and only long ago when my age had a "1" in front of it. That said, I haven't done any towing with it (other than moving my 35' rig from on-site storage to a camp site, at no more than 10 mph, so I can't say what it will be like hauling my rig through an intersection. But for every day driving around, I have no complaints about pedal response. Is everyone else coming from Nascar or is this only an HO issue that I dodged (!) by getting an SO?

My take on all this is the use of the term "dead pedal."

In most circles, dead pedal means a completely unresponsive pedal, usually seen due to left foot braking (expected with DBW) or with start/stop/start pedal use jumping into the middle of an intersection. In some DBW implementations (slow processor/crap code), the PCM/ECM has trouble responding and you get "dead pedal."

I don't discount this may happen to some under those or similar circumstances, but too many use the term when it's simply a slower than expected pedal response due to the DBW system. Something that should more accurately be described as "slow pedal" IMHO. The pedal monster/commander/iDrive, etc throttle boosters aren't curing dead pedal, they're simply changing the response curve of the DBW signal coming from the pedal, and in some fashion, making things happen quicker. If you had true "Dead Pedal" a booster would not do a thing for it.

FWIW, My 03 Audi has what we call "brake throttle death lag" that occurs with the gas/brake/gas scenario. I've almost gotten creamed a few times but learned to drive around it.

bigrobtemp

Reaction score
It just works guys! Don't care about the science. It is something that makes the drivability of the truck so much better. I just came back from towing the camper, 13000 pounds and the starts and passing is so much better.

Xflight29

Reaction score
I also don't understand the dead pedal thing, I have a 2020 Mega Cab 3500 HO and have stopped on 6 percent grades pulling 12000 pound trailer and never experience the dead pedal thing.

bigrobtemp

Reaction score
Not dead! If you have ever driven a truck that is deleted and has a tuner you would be able to relate. My 15 F350 had both and could push 700hp if i wanted. It's the response. I won't delete a new truck with a 100,000 mile warranty but I wanted a better response from the throttle.

MikeXM

Reaction score
I also don't understand the dead pedal thing, I have a 2020 Mega Cab 3500 HO and have stopped on 6 percent grades pulling 12000 pound trailer and never experience the dead pedal thing.
Are you talking about brakes? This thread is about throttle response which kind of feel "dead" (or slow to react to foot input for a better term).

Xflight29

Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't write the correct sentence. I meant to say was while pulling a 12000 pound trailer UP a 6 percent grade stopping half way due to traffic and truck took right off after applying the Throttle. no hesitation what so ever. I have owned this truck since January pulled through all types of terrain with all types of trailers and have never felt any pour throttle response. LOVE this 3500. Just hoping that I never have this issue, but you never know.

Last edited:

DMC1

Reaction score
I installed mine. Took about 10 minutes. What a difference it makes on the truck. It has been awesome. Makes a huge difference on take off and drive ability. If your thinking about one, I recommend doing it.

Can you share the settings you are currently using on your Pedal Monster?

bigrobtemp

Reaction score
While towing I am using the the City section on #8 and just driving it without anything hooked up, I am on sport mode #5. Those are baseline settings and you can adjust from there.

DaveyB

Reaction score
While towing I am using the the City section on #8 and just driving it without anything hooked up, I am on sport mode #5. Those are baseline settings and you can adjust from there.
Hello,
Are you using the standalone basic model or the top of the range iDash with data monster or something in between? Thanks...

D

Deleted member 80

My take on all this is the use of the term "dead pedal."

In most circles, dead pedal means a completely unresponsive pedal, usually seen due to left foot braking (expected with DBW) or with start/stop/start pedal use jumping into the middle of an intersection. In some DBW implementations (slow processor/crap code), the PCM/ECM has trouble responding and you get "dead pedal."

I don't discount this may happen to some under those or similar circumstances, but too many use the term when it's simply a slower than expected pedal response due to the DBW system. Something that should more accurately be described as "slow pedal" IMHO. The pedal monster/commander/iDrive, etc throttle boosters aren't curing dead pedal, they're simply changing the response curve of the DBW signal coming from the pedal, and in some fashion, making things happen quicker. If you had true "Dead Pedal" a booster would not do a thing for it.

FWIW, My 03 Audi has what we call "brake throttle death lag" that occurs with the gas/brake/gas scenario. I've almost gotten creamed a few times but learned to drive around it.
We bought an '02 Volvo new that had SERIOUS dead pedal, like make your heart stop, what's going on, better start praying dead pedal. They changed everything from the pedal tot he throttle body. No dice. We dumped it within a year, it was that dangerous.

Once you experience true dead pedal, you'll never confuse it with anything else.

Wrayzor

Reaction score
After seeing this, I will be getting it with the upgraded iDash 1.8 Data Monster. Now to find a nice looking gauge mount.

Burnt Piston

Reaction score
I've got a 2020 Mega cab dually, I drive hot shot, I've got no problems and I tow over 24k lbs on a regular basis.

Users who are viewing this thread