Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ordered my Banks Pedal Monster today. What to expect?

sstoner911

Reaction score
I received my PedalMonster today and installed it when I got home. Install was very easy...the connector for the gas pedal is not in the most coinvent spot but what is on these Rams right?

I took a test drive and tried all 3 modes.

City - This is a very conservative setting...you can still feel the difference over stock at the default setting of about 5. You immediately notice that there is a quicker response from the fuel pedal for sure. Now it is not as immediate as Sport or Track so maybe that is what @ironmike was talking about when he said there was still dead pedal. Overall City mode provides a 50% improvement over the stock pedal response for sure.

Sport - I set this to about 7 - And you will probably say "WOW" at that setting. You can hear the rear tires grip and feel it too (I know..no added power).

Track - I tried this at 7 also. I certainly would not want to use this mode for daily driveing as it really wants to go at a setting of 7. I imagine you could lower the sensitivity to 3 and maybe be good in town.

Right now I am running city mode at 10 and its certainly more fun to drive at that setting but still not as extreme as Sport and Track so you could leave it there on a daily bases. We are going out of town for the weekend towing the travel trailer so I will probably drop it down to 5 and see how it feels.

Over all I am very happy with it and I have certainly wasted $300 on worse things over my life time. :cool:

Rgpracer

Reaction score
I received my PedalMonster today and installed it when I got home. Install was very easy...the connector for the gas pedal is not in the most coinvent spot but what is on these Rams right?

City - This is a very conservative setting...you can still feel the difference over stock at the default setting of about 5. You immediately notice that there is a quicker response from the fuel pedal for sure. Now it is not as immediate as Sport or Track so maybe that is what @ironmike was talking about when he said there was still dead pedal. Overall City mode provides a 50% improvement over the stock pedal response for sure.

Sport - I set this to about 7 - And you will probably say "WOW" at that setting. You can hear the rear tires grip and feel it too (I know..no added power).

Track - I tried this at 7 also. I certainly would not want to use this mode for daily driveing as it really wants to go at a setting of 7. I imagine you could lower the sensitivity to 3 and maybe be good in town.

Right now I am running city mode at 10 and its certainly more fun to drive at that setting but still not as extreme as Sport and Track so you could leave it there on a daily bases. We are going out of town for the weekend towing the travel trailer so I will probably drop it down to 5 and see how it feels.

Over all I am very happy with it and I have certainly wasted $300 on worse things over my life time. :cool:
Would really like to know how this felt towing your rv.
Thanks
I will be ordering one.

ironmike

Reaction score

Excellent review. The dead pedal is only prevalent in any mode only when you come off throttle to zero throttle then immediately throttle up 1/4 throttle and beyond.
But yes, this device improves initial throttle responses 100% on acceleration through normal driving practices.

rsday75

Reaction score
So, from reading on the Banks website, City boosts in the upper range of pedal motion, sport at about 1/4 throttle and up, and track boosts at all times......simplifying things of course.

To those that say just press the pedal harder, I drove my truck a year without the pedal monster, and pressed the pedal plenty hard......I can't explain it, and it may be all physiological, but the truck is just more responsive. It reacts to the throttle pedal like I think it should now. In my mind, I should not have to give the truck 3/4 throttle to get decent response.

I love mine. doesn't totally get rid of the dead pedal from on...off....on throttle, but seems to help a good bit.
I run sport 4-5 all the time, and city 5-6 when towing our 5th wheel. City isn't as sensitive at takeoff with the 5th.

I will have to give their derringer a hard look when it is released later this Spring. I think the iDash, derringer, and pedal monster all paired together will be great for emissions intact vehicles.

Catmechanic

Reaction score
Installed mine today in my 2020 2500 CCSB. I agree with others here, it's definitely NOT the same as pressing the pedal harder. For $265 I think it's money well spent. I do wish they'd come out with an app for android auto so you could view/interact on the truck screen. Yes I know they'd no longer be able to sell the idash, but one can always wish.

Rgpracer

Reaction score
Installed mine today in my 2020 2500 CCSB. I agree with others here, it's definitely NOT the same as pressing the pedal harder. For $265 I think it's money well spent. I do wish they'd come out with an app for android auto so you could view/interact on the truck screen. Yes I know they'd no longer be able to sell the idash, but one can always wish.
Thanks Cat, appreciate it.

Cummins3

Reaction score
Installed mine week ago I like it but don't like seeing the fuel gauge go down.... I keep it in city level 4ish..... I have noticed that I do t believe the reverse safety works.. I have the I dash hooked up and it doesn't go into reverse mode or anything... In reverse I can see the two bars showing the stock pedal and pedal monster gauges...

Off topic what are guys using for a gauge mount other then the crappy suction cup from. Banks for their idash??

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Increased response on the throttle from a stop is better.......to a point. All I have to do to avoid buying the pedal monster, is drive my Hyundai Elantra. That is the first car I have had that had the throttle response set to kill. It is very annoying unless you drive the car everyday. Don’t drive it for a few days and every start is a tire chirping menace, mainly because after that, there is nothing more, and I am likely wearing my morning coffee. The weight of the HDRam probably helps with that a little. I too have thrown away $$$ more than pedal monster costs, but since it does nothing for the dead pedal issue, I have passed on it.

20Limited3500

Reaction score
On my previous 2016 Ram 3500 HO with Aisin 6 spd, I complained about the throttle lag when starting off in certain conditions. Even had the dealer do an update for the transmission shifting thinking that was the cause. After driving it for 3.5 yrs, I got to where I would power brake it ever so slightly before pulling out into cross traffic. I had came from a 2005 Ram 2500 with a Smarty programmer that I could adjust throttle sensitivity with. So it was nerve racking at times to have the delay when getting on it from a stop with the 2016. Sadly, the 2020 I have now, still does this. I think it comes down to torque management by the computer with the Aisin transmission, not letting full power come on too quickly with the throttle. Once you get moving, it'll put you back in your seat a little. I did try the BD Diesel throttle helper they offer on the 2016. The truck went into a limp mode condition once, the dealer said was caused by it. After they unplugged it, never had the limp mode happen again. After watching the video from Banks, I understand now why that happened. I will be looking into one of these pedal commanders for mine.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
On my previous 2016 Ram 3500 HO with Aisin 6 spd, I complained about the throttle lag when starting off in certain conditions. Even had the dealer do an update for the transmission shifting thinking that was the cause. After driving it for 3.5 yrs, I got to where I would power brake it ever so slightly before pulling out into cross traffic. I had came from a 2005 Ram 2500 with a Smarty programmer that I could adjust throttle sensitivity with. So it was nerve racking at times to have the delay when getting on it from a stop with the 2016. Sadly, the 2020 I have now, still does this. I think it comes down to torque management by the computer with the Aisin transmission, not letting full power come on too quickly with the throttle. Once you get moving, it'll put you back in your seat a little. I did try the BD Diesel throttle helper they offer on the 2016. The truck went into a limp mode condition once, the dealer said was caused by it. After they unplugged it, never had the limp mode happen again. After watching the video from Banks, I understand now why that happened. I will be looking into one of these pedal commanders for mine.

Try turning off the traction control (partial off=one press). I pretty much do that and the exhaust brake by habit now.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score

Where did you find it for $265. It looks like it is $295 everywhere. I also would need to buy the splitter so I can run my Amp steps.

sstoner911

Reaction score
I towed the travel trailer to Tombstone Az this weekend. I ran the pedal monster in Sport - level 3. No issues whatsoever. That's probably as aggressive as I would want to set it while towing. City Mode - level 10 is perfect for daily driving and towing over all.

Rgpracer

Reaction score
I towed the travel trailer to Tombstone Az this weekend. I ran the pedal monster in Sport - level 3. No issues whatsoever. That's probably as aggressive as I would want to set it while towing. City Mode - level 10 is perfect for daily driving and towing over all.
Stonner, what did you notice about gas mileage?

lgarrison34

Reaction score
Anyone have issues getting this to work on a 2021 6.4L? Can’t get it set up without CEL. Throwing low and high circuit voltage codes. P2122 and P2128

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sstoner911

Reaction score
Anyone have issues getting this to work on a 2021 6.4L? Can’t get it set up without CEL. Throwing low and high circuit voltage codes. P2122 and P2128

Have you tried changing the connectors around at the pedal - maybe they are flipped ( if they can be installed backwards)?

jbncccb

Reaction score

Did you follow the instructions about leaving the door open and taking the key fob away from the truck for at least 10 minutes before messing with cables? I think this is an important step.

Also there appears to be 2 plugs on the accelerator. It is the bottom plug that is used. Not sure if the other plug that is higher is the same size or not.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread