Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil change intervals

gpattikjr

Reaction score
Y’all really going 15k miles between changes? Just got my new truck and saw the Maintence schedule and nearly fell out of my chair. Does it consume oil?

My 6.0 power stroke gets changed every 5k and even that makes me nervous. I put in 14qts and 11 come out with no leaks. It just eats it and black as night.
The 6.0 still uses a hpop, right? That destroys the shear value of the oil and requires more frequent changes. The oil is more than likely weeping past the injector oil seals and into the fuel and is being burned.

Shadowboxin20

Reaction score
I dec
When are you guys doing the first oil change? Is 1k too early?
i decided on 3k as my number. Completely arbitrary but I liked it. Felt the the engine was just starting to cook itself off under my foot

jdefoe0424

Reaction score
Yeah not sure who mentioned 15W40, It is my understanding that 5W40 is recommended for these Cummins. In my old 6.0 I also ran the T6 5W40 and had zero issues. I wish I did have some leftover as I cant seem to find any around here. Might have to look into Amsoil? Its $154 for thee gallons of the T6 on Amazon! Yikes!!
Ouch, at that price AMSOIL is definitely cheaper. DM me if you want to place an order and I'll help any way I can.

Users who are viewing this thread