Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off road package

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Someone here may correct me but I think another perk of the Off-Road package is the auxiliary switches? As someone who puts aftermarket lights and accessories on every vehicle I own this was a huge plus for me.

I think it's worth the initial investment. The only thing I don't like is the badge on the bed. Kinda dumb but it doesn't hurt anything.
That would be the Snow Chief Package

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Yah, I noticed that when I checked it out on the RAM builder site. I'd have to say the Snow Chief package is probably worth more to me than the OFF-ROAD package. The fact that my truck has both is just a bonus.
I noticed after I replied That You found the info. The Snow chief package is the best. It also allows you to keep the black grille/bumpers on a Tradesman...where rhe offroad package makes you get chrome...just for info

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yea, the shock compresses and extends so the distance changes

anti wrap is not needed in a 4 link there is zero axle wrap

the shock is angled upward pushing slightly downward on the pumpkin providing resistance against wheel hop.
Ah damn, i know its not axle wrap but its a similar feeling.... i guess ill have to buy the shock because in reverse on wet pavement thats inclined it will do it mainly when the plow is on

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score

kristof

Reaction score
So is this hoop "kit" any good for my truck? It looks like it will cost around $320-330

McHenry2500

Reaction score
So now I'm curious and I'll check under my truck at lunch. I'm guessing I don't have the middle shock but I have looked into trac bars and other items to reduce hop while towing. This maybe a simpler solution if available.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
So now I'm curious and I'll check under my truck at lunch. I'm guessing I don't have the middle shock but I have looked into trac bars and other items to reduce hop while towing. This maybe a simpler solution if available.
Let us know your engine and cab/bed config and if you do or don’t have it.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Let us know your engine and cab/bed config and if you do or don’t have it.
I remembered this same conversation from a few years ago on another forum, and someone got “a reply” from the chassis engineer-

Well guys I just received a response from a RAM chassis engineer.

"The 5-link coil system does an incredible job of locating the axle and improving the ride. We put the Bilstein dampener in place for additional control, bringing us far beyond what competitors offer. The dampener exists on gasoline engine models (6.4 and 5.7 HEMI) but not on Cummins-powered trucks. Diesel engines have a much different torque curve and RPM range and do not currently require the component.

The five-link coil design incorporates support at all major points of force. Leaf spring suspensions struggle to combat axle wrap by using staggered shock absorbers (one mounted on the front of the axle tube and one mounted on the rear of the axle tube). The superior design of the five-link coil system functionally resists unwanted axle rotation. Leaf spring configurations also lack lateral support, forcing the leaf ends and shackles to hold against lateral loads — a task they're not particularly good at and one reason competitive leaf-sprung rear suspensions shutter on rough surfaces.

Because of the unique five-link axle control and natural rotation, U-joints in the driveshaft run smoothly and with less vibration through the suspension’s range of motion, an advantage not shared with leaf springs. Another benefit of coil springs is less unsprung mass and elimination of stick-slip friction found between the leaf springs. Additionally, links are engineered in-line with frame rails, so overall packaging is better, not to mention an overall weight reduction of about 40 pounds when compared to a leaf-spring configuration.

The 2014 Ram 2500 also will offer a segment-exclusive rear air suspension system. Two air bags replace the coil springs much like the Ram 1500. Load capacity is not sacrificed and the 2014 Ram 2500’s best-in-class ride and handling gets even better, crushing the competition with two doses of engineering innovation (five-link coil standard and air suspension option). Another benefit to the new air suspension design is the load-leveling capability, which automatically detects load on the rear suspension from a trailer or payload. The air pressure increases until the vehicle reaches normal ride height – leveling the truck and improving stability and loaded ride."
I received an additional response that added a little more detail.
G56 CTD gets the shock.
The 2WD Crew Cab short box (gas) doesn’t, nor does a 2WD Crew Cab long bed. I did not get the answer about the Mega.
Olli. End forum post quote.
It was also answered at the end of the thread that the mega cab did not get the shock.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
I remembered this same conversation from a few years ago on another forum, and someone got “a reply” from the chassis engineer-

Well guys I just received a response from a RAM chassis engineer.

"The 5-link coil system does an incredible job of locating the axle and improving the ride. We put the Bilstein dampener in place for additional control, bringing us far beyond what competitors offer. The dampener exists on gasoline engine models (6.4 and 5.7 HEMI) but not on Cummins-powered trucks. Diesel engines have a much different torque curve and RPM range and do not currently require the component.

The five-link coil design incorporates support at all major points of force. Leaf spring suspensions struggle to combat axle wrap by using staggered shock absorbers (one mounted on the front of the axle tube and one mounted on the rear of the axle tube). The superior design of the five-link coil system functionally resists unwanted axle rotation. Leaf spring configurations also lack lateral support, forcing the leaf ends and shackles to hold against lateral loads — a task they're not particularly good at and one reason competitive leaf-sprung rear suspensions shutter on rough surfaces.

Because of the unique five-link axle control and natural rotation, U-joints in the driveshaft run smoothly and with less vibration through the suspension’s range of motion, an advantage not shared with leaf springs. Another benefit of coil springs is less unsprung mass and elimination of stick-slip friction found between the leaf springs. Additionally, links are engineered in-line with frame rails, so overall packaging is better, not to mention an overall weight reduction of about 40 pounds when compared to a leaf-spring configuration.

The 2014 Ram 2500 also will offer a segment-exclusive rear air suspension system. Two air bags replace the coil springs much like the Ram 1500. Load capacity is not sacrificed and the 2014 Ram 2500’s best-in-class ride and handling gets even better, crushing the competition with two doses of engineering innovation (five-link coil standard and air suspension option). Another benefit to the new air suspension design is the load-leveling capability, which automatically detects load on the rear suspension from a trailer or payload. The air pressure increases until the vehicle reaches normal ride height – leveling the truck and improving stability and loaded ride."
I received an additional response that added a little more detail.
G56 CTD gets the shock.
The 2WD Crew Cab short box (gas) doesn’t, nor does a 2WD Crew Cab long bed. I did not get the answer about the Mega.
Olli. End forum post quote.
It was also answered at the end of the thread that the mega cab did not get the shock.
Interesting.

Sounds like I need to collect a measurement for the distance between brackets on a CCLB and see if I "need" to add it to my CCLB.

jm888

Reaction score
Well I sure unintentionally started a big long discussion here :) But at least I guess I got me answer. Yes....get the off road package for the shocks alone! Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread