Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off road package

jm888

Reaction score
I am just curious about the off road package for $495 when building a 2500. Do the shocks do anything to reduce the payload amount or anything like that? Do they give a better highway ride or would these only benefit you if you are off roading?

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
$495 is a good price if you want all the stuff it has. You can add just about everything, including Hill Descent Control after the fact yourself, but after adding that, the skid, and some shocks you'll be above $495.

The Marge Simpson Bilstein's aren't bad. Skid is important. Hill Descent is cool. The tires are an even hotter form of garbage than the Transforce HTs. The AT version gives you the illusion of an off-road tire (since it's part of the package, visually they look like highway specials), a gaudy and badly oversprayed white lettering to make them stand out to everyone that you're riding on dog crap tires, and the special feature of them mudpacking a full tread and becoming worthless if a drop of water hits any part of the dirt you happen to be on. Ram should be ashamed of the trash tires they put on these trucks. Worst pieces of garbage ever wrapped around a wheel. Drag radials would have better traction in loose footing. Have I mentioned how bad the tires are yet? :D

g33k247

Reaction score
My truck came equipped with the off road package and I'm sure the shocks have little to do with the payoad capacity. According to my tire and loading information sticker my truck has a payload of 2,922 lbs which isn't the highest, but it's pretty good compared to many other 2500 stickers I've seen posted on this site.

The 4×4 Off-Road package includes the following…
  • Hill-Descent Control
  • Tow hooks
  • Transfer Case Skid Plate
  • Bilstein Shocks (Tuned For The 4×4 Off-Road Package)
  • Limited-Slip Differential
  • On-/Off-Road tires (18-inch or Optional 20-inch)
  • Wheel Flares (not on my truck though)
  • 4×4 Off-Road Decal
My truck also has a shock on the rear diff like this
springs.jpg
I don't know if that's becasue of the off road package, the 6.4L and/or the 4.10 gears, but I've noticed not all trucks have it.

Last edited:

jm888

Reaction score
$495 is a good price if you want all the stuff it has. You can add just about everything, including Hill Descent Control after the fact yourself, but after adding that, the skid, and some shocks you'll be above $495.

The Marge Simpson Bilstein's aren't bad. Skid is important. Hill Descent is cool. The tires are an even hotter form of garbage than the Transforce HTs. The AT version gives you the illusion of an off-road tire (since it's part of the package, visually they look like highway specials), a gaudy and badly oversprayed white lettering to make them stand out to everyone that you're riding on dog crap tires, and the special feature of them mudpacking a full tread and becoming worthless if a drop of water hits any part of the dirt you happen to be on. Ram should be ashamed of the trash tires they put on these trucks. Worst pieces of garbage ever wrapped around a wheel. Drag radials would have better traction in loose footing. Have I mentioned how bad the tires are yet? :D
Honestly, I don't even need any of that, I don't think. I was just wondering because I think it is good to have the tow hooks and skid plates and that is $150 alone, so was wondering if and extra $350 for the shocks is going to make the ride better. I don't plan going off roading so this would be pretty much highway driving and towing. I take the Transforce HT's are the tires that come on the 20 inch rims? I do like the Night Edition so would probably go that route, but maybe I can get with the Sport edition and get the 18" wheels.

pdavey

Reaction score
The stabilizer on the pumpkin is standard on all Power Wagon models. I bet they added them to the off-road packages to reduce axle wrap or hop with the softer long travel shocks.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
You'll either get Firestone Transforce HT (non off-road) or Firestone Transforce AT (off-road).

Either way, they'll be garbage. Hot garbage.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The stabilizer on the pumpkin is standard on all Power Wagon models. I bet they added them to the off-road packages to reduce axle wrap or hop with the softer long travel shocks.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
No the off road pkg does not get the 5th shock

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't even need any of that, I don't think. I was just wondering because I think it is good to have the tow hooks and skid plates and that is $150 alone, so was wondering if and extra $350 for the shocks is going to make the ride better. I don't plan going off roading so this would be pretty much highway driving and towing. I take the Transforce HT's are the tires that come on the 20 inch rims? I do like the Night Edition so would probably go that route, but maybe I can get with the Sport edition and get the 18" wheels.
Off rd pkg is always good unless your never leaving the paved highway the better shocks alone are worth it

jm888

Reaction score
Off rd pkg is always good unless your never leaving the paved highway the better shocks alone are worth it
I mean, I don't plan on leaving the highway, except if I am up in the snow once in awhile or on the occasional dirt road to get to a lake or campground or something, so highway comfort is my main concern. But if the shocks will even improve that, and there is no downside to getting this package, then I should consider it since it really is only $350 more after I add on the skid plates and hook anyways. What about the tires that come with it though? Are those going to be rougher?

@JC

Reaction score
Unless you want the air suspension, since you can't get both.

Speedracer93CobraR

Reaction score
Not to de-rail, but what dictates that you get the 3rd shock/pumpkin leg? Mine has it.

jbncccb

Reaction score
The Bilstein shocks are worth it. They will outlast the standard factory shock!!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

jbncccb

Reaction score
Not to de-rail, but what dictates that you get the 3rd shock/pumpkin leg? Mine has it.
Curious as well. I have the 4x4 off-road pkg with 3.9 gears and do not have the 3rd shock. Maybe 4.10 has something to do with it.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I mean, I don't plan on leaving the highway, except if I am up in the snow once in awhile or on the occasional dirt road to get to a lake or campground or something, so highway comfort is my main concern. But if the shocks will even improve that, and there is no downside to getting this package, then I should consider it since it really is only $350 more after I add on the skid plates and hook anyways. What about the tires that come with it though? Are those going to be rougher?
No they wont be as they are really just highway tires anyway the a/t on them is really just a joke

buy the offroad pkg worth every penny

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Curious as well. I have the 4x4 off-road pkg with 3.9 gears and do not have the 3rd shock. Maybe 4.10 has something to do with it.

No way you have 3.9 gears you would have 3.73 if you dont have 4.10s

Users who are viewing this thread